Old 06-18-2019, 11:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 65
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 106 Times in 78 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xare View Post
Even the worst Wizard is still grippier than the best Aviar.

I never understood the "firm" part being a must. That being said - there are certainly Wizards firmer than any Aviar.

The Wizard mold got tweaked quite a few years ago though, so there's actually two molds - the current Wizard mold (with thicker flight plate) and the old Proto Wizard mold, which does glide and fly farther - but will clover once they get super beat. The Nikko Wizards they recently ran (sold out) were run using the proto mold. If you somehow can find your hands on one of these, they are probably the Wizards you want.

Otherwise - I would recommend trying a Firm (relabel of Soft), SuperSoft, $ (Money), Organic, Special Blend, and Eraser Wizards. I know it's a lot, but once you figure out which one of these you like the best - it is super easy to stock up on them. The recent runs have all been consistent and not super different like the old years-past runs. If you like premium plastic - the new Diamond, Platinum, and HD plastics are all fantastic - but be forewarned, they do fly a bit shorter and do not glide as much as the baseline Wizards do.
I think there have been three the proto (thinnest), then the thinner than current and now current.

As far az PWs getting dirty, its nothing terrible. No worse than most any white putters.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2019, 11:46 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 24 Times in 16 Posts

As someone who lives down the street from the Gateway factory, I must caution you that the wizard road can be long and winding, but the end result often feels like a completely custom made putter just for you.

From your description, I'd say start with a stack of 5 different plastics/blends. My recommendation would be PW, stiff eraser, organic, firm, and SS. I will also second the suggestion of getting high shoulder wizards. To me they make better putting putters. I tend to think of low shouldered wizards as throwing putters.

From there, pick your favorite and get some pairs. If you fall in love with a particular plastic/run/stamp, get enough for a year or two. Something similar will come up eventually, but it may take a while.

They will often have sales on their website for 2 packs or 5 packs. Calling and placing a phone order might be your best bet though.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-18-2019, 11:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 18
Niced 549 Times in 317 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunnerUp View Post
That's kinda what I'm thinking too. I'll prob just take the plunge in the next day or so. Even discs I don't use I still like having... It's nice to have a huge stack of whatever when throwing in the field. And I can always try and sell or trade!
You can't go wrong with Soft/Firm (they recently changed the name to Firm but there are still plenty of Softs out there). Although you may get an outlier that is either dinner plate hard or one with a decent amount of give in the flight plate, you will 95% of the time get a stiff but not rock hard disc that also is not slick. I would say as stiff as most KC Pro I have felt and somewhere between KC and Yeti Pro for grip. I have never bought a Soft/Firm that did not meet the description I just gave you, and half or mine have been bought online.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-18-2019, 11:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 65
Niced 106 Times in 78 Posts

I miss old mediums and firms. I get why they are gone but OG firms even made fossil feel like it had some give

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
Old 06-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.9
Courses Played: 37
Niced 225 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by xare View Post
Bear in mind that I live in Ohio, and in the fall, early spring, and all winter - SS and up are pretty much unusable (firm up too much). I use SSS, 4S, RFF, and Lunars those times of the year. So if you live in an area where you'll be throwing discs in weather 50F and below, there's nothing wrong with picking up multiple flexes of Wizards. I don't use the 4S and RFF in the summer as they are too floppy, and SSS can be too floppy as well, but once fall hits, those start coming back out.
I also live in Ohio, and use Fossil all year round. Firm and PW are equally good, I'm not too picky about it. But I'm a push putter and the 3S and floppier just don't work for me.
Old 06-18-2019, 12:09 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,013 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
...life's too short to be super picky about Wizards.
Totally agree, but not in the way you might think. ^^^ This is one reason I did not adopt the Wizard as my putting putter.

(Having said that, I'm curious about the Pure Whites and may try one, one day...)
Old 06-18-2019, 12:10 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,013 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by myllys View Post
New PW get really dirty don’t they?
I hope so. That would mean you've been playing in the DG dirt again, and that's always a good thing.
Old 06-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 604 Times in 327 Posts

I would kill for a few Nikko Wizards. If I run into some excess money might even merit a overseas order.

Old 06-18-2019, 01:55 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 22
Niced 18 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreemCheese View Post
I also live in Ohio, and use Fossil all year round. Firm and PW are equally good, I'm not too picky about it. But I'm a push putter and the 3S and floppier just don't work for me.
I am a push putter too, but I do not like firm putters. I like Omega Supersofts too. However, I'm somewhat picky about exactly how floppy I like my discs. I like the putters to be able to taco with force, but not burrito floppy. If you can't make the rim touch itself (with enough force), it's too stiff for me.