Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 07-03-2019, 10:07 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,084 Times in 636 Posts

I CAN see myself doing it like that. .have 1-2 moulds in different stages of ware. . IF i could find a mould that works well. . .i have +80 moulds and +500 discs. . and i have not found it yet.

For over a year i have tryed to get a beat in Buzzz in different plastics to fly like a Buzzz SS. . but, no. . . the Buzzz SS flies So much better than a beat in Buzzz. .
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-03-2019, 10:12 AM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 38 Times in 25 Posts

I'll tell you, I don't throw any prodigy, but I ended up buying one of Kevin Jones' Tour Series M3s because of his description. I don't know why, but since my awesome old Mako3 was lost, I've been having trouble finding the mid that I could get to do the slow right turning drift without fighting back.

I have a couple of nice flip-up Buzzzes, but they all kind of remember they are Buzzzes when they slow down and fight back. That has been a slot I've struggled to fill for a while. My last couple Mako3's were both quite flippy out of the box.
Old 07-03-2019, 10:23 AM
*Still Hiding in Mike C's Closet*

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 45 Times in 34 Posts

wish he would have done videos of himself throwing each one while talking about them

Old 07-03-2019, 10:34 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 480 Times in 307 Posts

The cycling thing sounds great, I'd love to get to a point where it's happening naturally in my bag, as it tends to to some degree with the pros. But if you look at any of these bag videos lately, you'll find that while most pros do cycle one or more molds, they typically at least have OS and US bookends.

These days the results are just not there honestly - the pros winning nationals aren't building bags out of 4-5 molds anymore.

Old 07-03-2019, 10:53 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,439 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
These days the results are just not there honestly - the pros winning nationals aren't building bags out of 4-5 molds anymore.
No, probably not, but they're pros and most of them are familiar with cycling discs and know how to make anything work for them.

Here, 90+% of us aren't pros and learning to cycle does have it's advantages. I think it's easier to get better with one mold than the never ending "disc for every line" chase. In the end, the mold chasers end up with a lot of plastic they don't know very well and can't ever seem to settle on anything; at least from what I've experienced and seen.
Old 07-03-2019, 11:47 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 24 Times in 16 Posts

Shiny mid guy here. I'm not a fan of beat up baseline plastic. I also don't really use super understable mids because I would rather forehand an OS mid or fairway driver. The truth/emac truth/verdict all feel identical in my hand and give me enough variety to shape shots FH and BH.

I also can't get a consistent clean release on a roc/comet type beaded mid, so I never really went anywhere with them. Even a buzzz is uncomfortably thin for my hand.

I kinda sorta cycle drivers in a couple slots, but mostly use different plastics in the same mold to get variety.
Old 07-03-2019, 12:20 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 789 Times in 377 Posts

The number of molds in Feldberg's bag > the number of molds in mine

... by a lot!

I'm sure when he was with Innova, Feldberg carried only Aviars, Rocs, Teebirds, Firebirds, and Bosses.
Kidding about that. I can't imagine him carrying multiples of only a handful of molds. Isn't he known for always carrying a zillion discs?

The oldest Feldberg in the bag video that I have seen is the one below from 2013. He mentions having done in the bag videos before, but I can't find any of them. Do any of you here know of any prior to 2013?

Now that Feldberg has to attract the attention of as many disc manufacturers as possible for his Next Generation Disc Golf label, and now that he uses a cart, isn't he likely to carry even more variety?

Old 07-03-2019, 12:56 PM
Par Member

Niced 143 Times in 69 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
No, probably not, but they're pros and most of them are familiar with cycling discs and know how to make anything work for them.

Here, 90+% of us aren't pros and learning to cycle does have it's advantages. I think it's easier to get better with one mold than the never ending "disc for every line" chase. In the end, the mold chasers end up with a lot of plastic they don't know very well and can't ever seem to settle on anything; at least from what I've experienced and seen.
Also remember that 90+% of us are doing this as a fun hobby and for some of them part of the fun of the hobby is buying and trying new plastic. Not maybe the best way to win your local beer’n’weed dubs league, but if that’s what turns someone’s crank who am I to care?

Niced: (3)
Old 07-03-2019, 01:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 56 Times in 38 Posts

When Feldberg won The Player's Cup and the $5000 purse he gave his caddy $1000 for carrying his bag. It was pretty full and heavy. Probably 25+ discs.

Niced: (2)

Old 07-03-2019, 01:38 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 24
Niced 411 Times in 231 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I think it's easier to get better with one mold than the never ending "disc for every line" chase. In the end, the mold chasers end up with a lot of plastic they don't know very well and can't ever seem to settle on anything; at least from what I've experienced and seen.
I don't think it is that black and white. There is a huge amount of in between gray area from one mold cycle and never ending chase to get the one disc for each shot.

I prefer the similar feel of plastic and disc shape. So in a sense its like mold cycling they are just fully different off the shelf. I think that is something the Trilogy mids have really done well and maybe discraft as well. Honestly Innova a bit as well, they just call a bunch of different molds a Roc. Is it really a single mold cycle like Feldy talks about getting 5 ghosts exactly the same, when talking about rancho roc and san marino and roc3 and then varying plastic?