Old 07-10-2019, 06:40 PM

Niced 2 Times in 1 Post
Default Adam, the newbie in the PNW.

Hello Everyone! My name's Adam. Just went for the 1st time randomly up here in Seattle area. Had so much fun I just bought some discs. Cheaper than golf, a way to get a work out, hang with friends or even play on my own.

Out of convenience they are all Innova

Aviar 175
Shark 175
Teebird 170
Beast 166

Hoping these will get me started. Let me know if you have any suggestions. I know from what I've read, my weights may be a bit high for a newbie, but believe I'll adjust quick. Is there a different Fairway Driver I should have (like the leopard), or will the Teebird treat me well? I read that the beast is a good driver for a beginner/intermediate so I picked it up. May take a bit to strengthen my arm so I got it @ 166. I read reviews on the Buzzz, Roc, Roc3, shark...I just decided to go with a heavier shark thinking it will cover things, and maybe bridge the gap between the shark and the Teebird.

Anyways, I'm trying to learn fast and will be out on the course again I believe Friday. Looking forward to having some fun out in the field learning and see where this fun hobby takes me. I have a course really close to my place, and a bigger one up north so I have some great spots to get started at!!!

Adam
Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2019, 10:20 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 0.3
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 37 Times in 22 Posts

My 7yo son and I have been playing for a month now. I've learned that I can't throw fast at all, so I've pulled all Speed 8 and up discs out of my bag. I like the Shark, and I've tried a few of the other recommended midranges on here as well. I've settled on the Comet (because I got one in Purple), and I found a Stingray that I like that is similar in feel to the Shark.

My son is the smartest person he knows, so he throws the Leopard almost exclusively. That is the driver that came in the Innova Starter Pack I got. He can occasionally get it to glide several feet in a straight line, and then it veers off to the left as it's supposed to. I made him throw the Shark to show him the difference, and it usually goes farther than the driver. But, he says he knows more than me , so I let him do what he wants. At least he's playing, right?

Now I see why the experienced folks tell us to learn with putters first. I'm just now beginning to be able to send the disc in the direction I intend, so I can start to put a little power on it. It's fun to watch it fly down the fairway, but it's less fun to go searching in the woods. Good luck with your learning - it's addictive!

Kyle
Old 07-17-2019, 02:14 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 426 Times in 190 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaumusDG View Post
Is there a different Fairway Driver I should have (like the leopard), or will the Teebird treat me well?
Those are fine to start with. Are they all DX plastic? A Leopard is also a good one, and the Leopard/Teebird pairing is a classic. Might want to pick one up and compare how they fly.

Enjoy learning and having fun. Washington has some nice courses so you'll have plenty of places to check out.

Old 07-17-2019, 10:41 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 24.7
Courses Played: 134
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,094 Times in 789 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by adaumusDG View Post
Is there a different Fairway Driver I should have (like the leopard), or will the Teebird treat me well?
To begin with no. IMO the easiest way to improve is to limit the discs you are throwing and learn how to make them execute different shots, so when you make a mistake you focus on what you could do to throw a better shot instead of focusing on what different disc you could have thrown. The four discs you listed have different uses and should cover a lot of shots, so I'd stand pat with them for quite a bit.

The only thing I would say is the Beast is really fast, and if you don't get it up to speed it's not going to fly anything like the flight numbers say it should. It will resist turn and hyzer out early if it's not up to speed. If the Beast just doesn't seem to fly right, moving down in speed to a Leopard and leaving the Beast at home until you get some more experience would be a good move.