Old 07-18-2019, 10:42 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 142
Niced 248 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
Interesting op...perhaps the current generation has indeed peaked. But if you haven't already, start researching those young champ ams coming up, I'm guessing they're playing much better than young Paul did.
OP was a joke - but to be serious, you're right. I've been saying for years that Paul and Ricky were the faucet opening, the talent getting to where it's more than a drip. The faucet isn't done opening yet - the field is gonna be packed with guys at that 1050 level soon enough.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 07-18-2019, 10:59 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 75
Niced 23 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisWoj View Post
OP was a joke - but to be serious, you're right. I've been saying for years that Paul and Ricky were the faucet opening, the talent getting to where it's more than a drip. The faucet isn't done opening yet - the field is gonna be packed with guys at that 1050 level soon enough.
Since ratings are relative, I doubt it. Scores may get better but you will always only have those top 2 or 3 players that are good enough (or that much better than their competitors) to be above the 1050 level.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 104
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 246 Times in 112 Posts

Quote:
OP was a joke.

I thought it was a joke.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:35 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,999 Times in 1,496 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
I would agree that Paul hasnt gotten better. I have always thought that the way the that ratings are calculated that over time ratings will continue to increase for the same scores thrown. Id predict 1100 rated players in the next 50 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgort View Post
Is there historical support for that claim? Do the same courses produce continually higher ratings year after year?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsman View Post
Not sure, im probably just pulling something out my end but I feel like thats where ratings are going. Totally opinion, did zero research.
I think Horsman is correct, and my precedent for it is tournament Chess. There has been ratings inflation and ratings creep for years, slowly but surely. Are today's players better than Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky? Maybe, with the better tools they have to aid them. But in the overall, ratings are creeping up. It's kinda like economic inflation and its destructive value on currency over time.

So yes, I would agree that there is slow but very present 'inflation' in the ratings over time.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:41 AM
Snowflake

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
Since ratings are relative, I doubt it. Scores may get better but you will always only have those top 2 or 3 players that are good enough (or that much better than their competitors) to be above the 1050 level.
I was going to say that, as well. No matter how good 'the field' gets, there will always be a few super-elites at the very top. That's true in every sport, as well as tournament Chess, and it will be true of DG as well.
Old 07-18-2019, 11:48 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 142
Niced 248 Times in 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOStheBOSS View Post
I agree completely with that - but I think that what you're missing is that the talent level, related to both the athleticism of people in the game and the age at which those people start means that that particular subset of the population will get into the game, for a time, at a faster rate than before. While, I think (could be wrong) that growth is near an exponential line, I'm just saying I think the growth at the top end is turning upward a little sharper right now.
Old 07-18-2019, 01:46 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 38 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
I think Horsman is correct, and my precedent for it is tournament Chess. There has been ratings inflation and ratings creep for years, slowly but surely. Are today's players better than Bobby Fischer and Boris Spassky? Maybe, with the better tools they have to aid them. But in the overall, ratings are creeping up. It's kinda like economic inflation and its destructive value on currency over time.

So yes, I would agree that there is slow but very present 'inflation' in the ratings over time.
I'm a tournament chess player, and I'm not sure I agree. Bobby Fisher topped out at 2775 rated. The highest rated player ever is Magnus Carlson, who at his peak was 2884.

That is an increase of just 3.5% over a period of almost 50 years since Bobby Fisher achieved his highest rating. Considering how much technologyhas improved, I am 100% sure that Magnus is 3.5% stronger than Fisher was. Not that he was more naturally gifted, just that he is objectively 3.5% harder to beat. I think Chess is great case for how ratings actually DON'T inflate that much over time.

Niced: (2)
Old 07-18-2019, 02:12 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan C View Post
I'm a tournament chess player, and I'm not sure I agree. Bobby Fisher topped out at 2775 rated. The highest rated player ever is Magnus Carlson, who at his peak was 2884.

That is an increase of just 3.5% over a period of almost 50 years since Bobby Fisher achieved his highest rating. Considering how much technologyhas improved, I am 100% sure that Magnus is 3.5% stronger than Fisher was. Not that he was more naturally gifted, just that he is objectively 3.5% harder to beat. I think Chess is great case for how ratings actually DON'T inflate that much over time.
You're partly right, but IIRC Fischer was all alone at his rating in 1972 when he won the World title. Spassky was a good bit lower, as were their peers. I'll have to look up their ratings at that time, but the average GM rating was lower than it (the average) is today. And that's where the ratings creep has occurred, moreso than the top few players ever.

Anyhoo, I do think there will be ratings creep in DG over time. Slowly, but surely...

Last edited by SD86; 07-18-2019 at 02:15 PM.
Old 07-18-2019, 02:25 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 677
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,429 Times in 655 Posts

Unfortunately, the ability to compare ratings back in history was disrupted as the number of tour courses with punitive OB increased. These courses artificially inflate not only the top end ratings but everyone in the event without additional skill being demonstrated. It's likely that after taking out the OB effect, McBeth would still have a higher rating than Climo at his peak but probably not as much as currently displayed, with his forehand skill likely being the relevant difference.

Old 07-18-2019, 03:12 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 38 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
You're partly right, but IIRC Fischer was all alone at his rating in 1972 when he won the World title. Spassky was a good bit lower, as were their peers. I'll have to look up their ratings at that time, but the average GM rating was lower than it (the average) is today. And that's where the ratings creep has occurred, moreso than the top few players ever.

Anyhoo, I do think there will be ratings creep in DG over time. Slowly, but surely...
Maybe, but it is difficult to argue that higher ratings are due to rating creep, and not to players simply getting better. I think in disc golf what we are seeing is certainly the latter.