Old 10-25-2016, 04:40 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,315 Times in 660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasOrion View Post
Was the difference Weight? or Plastic? or was it just, luck of the draw?

I have two Neutron's about the same weight, 173-175 and both look identical when next on a flat surface.

i actually thought this disc would have been flippier....i was very happy to find out mine flew stable
My experience has been with two in the 170s and two in the 150s. I thought it was a fluke with the 150s. My first had a perfect amount of late turn followed by the solid fade. I lost it to the second pond at Slippery Rock, pulled out my seemingly identical replacement, and it flipped into a roller. Completely different disc unfortunately, and it got shipped to a friend who I thought might like it. Then I tried some heavier ones and encountered the same issue between two of them.

The "good" Craves (like you describe) are amazing discs. The others, not so much (for me) unfortunately.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2016, 06:51 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 83 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
Luck of the draw. Ive sold TB a few and owned many myself. For some reason protons when first released seemed a little less stable in general while my early neutrons just we stupid straight.
I had a very early production Proton Crave, deep blue/pink rim. It was more OS than my Servos. As far as how flat and PLH, it seemed middle of the road in that regard. I was surprised by the overstability, expected it to be slightly less so than the Servo.
Old 01-09-2017, 03:50 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts

I really wanted to like the crave. But its just not, imho, a good disc. Too much stability at the end and kind of midling HSS.
If I want dump a firebird or other OS utility is better and easier to toss.
And other than that, I can get more D from my mids with the same toss. Its distance compared to like a teebird or FD or similar was paltry. I think its cause it is such a thin, no dome design. Sure you could power it really hard to get distance, but I'd rather throw another fairway that will go farther on its own.

It could be used in my bag as a stable fairway, but the HSS just didnt feel right.

my 2 cents. I wish the disc had some dome to it so bad.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:11 PM
Par Member

Niced 43 Times in 32 Posts

Man I couldn't put firebird and crave in the same sentence. It does settle down hard at the very end of the flight but, for me, will go straight for decent distance before that.
Old 01-09-2017, 04:23 PM
* Ace Member *

I've revisited the Crave, recently got a Plasma and Neutron. Longer Buzzz! Nothing like the Servo, IMO. Much better glide and carry, and only a very mild fade at the end. The Plasma might have slightly better glide, but the difference is negligible.

I intended to use the Crave as a fairway driver, but powered up drives are surprisingly long. The flight is so controlled too. Could happily throw these Craves all day long. Anyway,

...the early production Proton I had(circa 2012?) was nothing like these.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.4
Courses Played: 122
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 523 Times in 324 Posts

If there is one disc I would never be without during a full bag round, the Crave is it. I can't praise it enough. I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't caught on more than it has. It works wonders across a wide variety of power levels. I'll throw mine with pinpoint precision on 350-450' holes, but also power them down on 200-300' tee shots. I've given them out to a lot of my friends who throw 320-375' and they get much straighter shots with equal distance compared to wider rimmed discs.

This was my first ever throw with a mid 160's Plasma Crave after not playing for over a month. Parked it on a ~375' hole. Effortlessly accurate.

PS - I get a laugh at my first Energy throw. I saw MVP distance drivers in a shop and made a point to not look up flight ratings, just picked one out blind and had no idea how massively OS it would be. Was expecting to blow past the basket when I barely made it half way there Was fun, I've never gotten to throw an MVP disc without a preconceived notion of how it should fly, it was refreshing.
Old 01-09-2017, 05:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike C View Post
If there is one disc I would never be without during a full bag round, the Crave is it. I can't praise it enough. I'm genuinely surprised it hasn't caught on more than it has. It works wonders across a wide variety of power levels. I'll throw mine with pinpoint precision on 350-450' holes, but also power them down on 200-300' tee shots. I've given them out to a lot of my friends who throw 320-375' and they get much straighter shots with equal distance compared to wider rimmed discs.

This was my first ever throw with a mid 160's Plasma Crave after not playing for over a month. Parked it on a ~375' hole. Effortlessly accurate.

PS - I get a laugh at my first Energy throw. I saw MVP distance drivers in a shop and made a point to not look up flight ratings, just picked one out blind and had no idea how massively OS it would be. Was expecting to blow past the basket when I barely made it half way there Was fun, I've never gotten to throw an MVP disc without a preconceived notion of how it should fly, it was refreshing.
Yep, very controlled flight/lines at different power levels. I was throwing both Craves on long approach at a field, released flat and approx 10 ft right of target, they'd hold straight forever and then hook up slightly at the very end. Sweeping hyzers and controlled anhyzer's that pan out nicely are a dream with this disc.

When I started throwing drives with them at full power, the easy distance just blew me away. These hang in the air for a long time. I don't know where the mega glide is coming from cuz the Neutron is flat and the Plasma has only a very slight dome.

Crave=sleeper disc
Old 01-09-2017, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Yup, when I empty my bag in the practice field the Crave is often within 20' of my longest throw. Its one of those discs that doesn't make sense to me
Old 01-09-2017, 06:23 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 108 Times in 85 Posts

Crave has officially kicked the volt out of my bag. The subtle turn the Crave has gives it a little extra D, but still has a very dependable yet workable flight to it. Been mashing my crave out past 360 almost every time. Sucks cause I can't find a distance driver that'll consistently go over 400 for me so there's too much overlap with the crave... good problem to have I guess

Old 01-09-2017, 07:20 PM
* Ace Member *

Same here. Volt was a cornerstone of my bag for years, but with the Crave and Wrath in my bag it felt redundant. I still throw a seasoned to straight eclipse Volt once in a while, but the Crave / Wrath combo is all I really need to cover my bases.