Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 08-05-2014, 08:57 AM
Independent Operator*

Years Playing: 23
Courses Played: 513
Niced 640 Times in 229 Posts

The Foxbat is an awesome finesse disc. Made the bag the first time I threw it.

The Foxbat has zero fade, even if you throw it with the nose up. Great for super straight shots and turning shots.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2018, 02:16 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 7
Niced 141 Times in 85 Posts

Bump. I know some people here love their lids. Can anyone give an updated comparison, specifically between the nova and polecat? I really like my nova and it’s flight. I’ve never thrown a polecat (or any kid really), but it’s ability to handle forehands has me wanting to try one, as the nova is uncomfortable for flicks. How does the polecat handle skips and ground action? One thing I love about the nova is that it hits where it sticks. The polecat seems to be the consensus favorite, but are there any others I should look into? I’d prefer to stay away from larger discs like condor that don’t fit into the bag as easily.

Niced: (1)
Old 06-28-2018, 02:50 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.6
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 962 Times in 632 Posts

The Polecat doesn’t skip much, on lower hard lines it has some skitter but not a big flair skip or anything.

I like it for FH or BH as long as there isn’t a lot of wind.

The Nova to me has some turn and maybe a little fade, while the Polecat kind of establishes its line early one and sort of stays that way until it hits the ground.

They can handle the same spot in the bag, unless you want to putt with it, I’d rather putt a Nova than a Polecat.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:18 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 22
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,439 Times in 668 Posts

Another option would be the Birdie.

Doesn't have the glide of a Polecat but can handle a forehand and some wind better. Both the Birdie and the Polecat are deeper and with a straight up and down rim, they may take a little work to get comfortable forehanding.

I've thrown and own the Nova, Birdie and Polecat. They're all fun to throw, but I bag the Birdie. Best dead nuts straight upshot disc that just hovers and drops I have yet thrown and I find it easy to forehand. You won't get the distance out of it that you will with a Nova though.

Old 06-28-2018, 03:36 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 30
Niced 514 Times in 280 Posts

+1 for the Polecat. I play in thick woods and sometimes a flick of the wrist is my best option. The nova is a bit to deep and i don't like the overall feel. I think I'm gonna grab a couple birdies. The Upshot is another controllable lid that can handle different lines.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:42 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,013 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audible Vibration View Post
Bump. I know some people here love their lids. Can anyone give an updated comparison, specifically between the nova and polecat? I really like my nova and it’s flight. I’ve never thrown a polecat (or any kid really), but it’s ability to handle forehands has me wanting to try one, as the nova is uncomfortable for flicks. How does the polecat handle skips and ground action? One thing I love about the nova is that it hits where it sticks. The polecat seems to be the consensus favorite, but are there any others I should look into? I’d prefer to stay away from larger discs like condor that don’t fit into the bag as easily.
I bag the Polecat and I throw Novas on the range to get my form right. The problem for me with Novas is that I've cut my fingers on the "compass points" on the underside a few too many times.

The Polecat has good glide relative to its slow speed. The DX Polecats don't skip, and the Champion Polekitties don't skip too badly either. The Polecat goes along the line I throw it, from hyzer to turnover. Put some 'oomph' on it and it turns over a little (for me, at least). The Polecat can be pretty forgiving to less than great form, to a point.

A less glidey, more stable alternative to the Polecat is the Rhyno. Many like it as an approach disc. I like the Rhyno, but the Polecat has really improved my scores. Polecats are awesome.

The Nova is a straight flying disc when thrown correctly, is not all that forgiving to bad form (hence, good for practice), and I find it a little less glidey than the Polecat. But it's faster and so will go farther than the Polekitty when power is applied to it.

Last edited by SD86; 06-28-2018 at 03:44 PM.
Old 06-28-2018, 03:48 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.5
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,316 Times in 660 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
Another option would be the Birdie.

Doesn't have the glide of a Polecat but can handle a forehand and some wind better. Both the Birdie and the Polecat are deeper and with a straight up and down rim, they may take a little work to get comfortable forehanding.

I've thrown and own the Nova, Birdie and Polecat. They're all fun to throw, but I bag the Birdie. Best dead nuts straight upshot disc that just hovers and drops I have yet thrown and I find it easy to forehand. You won't get the distance out of it that you will with a Nova though.
Well chosen. I hate to flip my love over to the Birdie, but I tinkered with a 150 DX in the back yard before it shattered, and it's a great disc. Much like the rest of the Thumbtrac molds you have to throw it where you want it to go due to its lack of glide, but it's a wonderfully controllable approach disc. Season it a little, and it'll flip to flat on a clean throw and just lock onto its line. I would still give the nod to the Polecat, but it's a lot closer of a race than I ever thought it would be. In this case, I think it gets the nod due to the FH desire.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 22
Niced 1,439 Times in 668 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird888 View Post
Well chosen. I hate to flip my love over to the Birdie, but I tinkered with a 150 DX in the back yard before it shattered, and it's a great disc. Much like the rest of the Thumbtrac molds you have to throw it where you want it to go due to its lack of glide, but it's a wonderfully controllable approach disc. Season it a little, and it'll flip to flat on a clean throw and just lock onto its line. I would still give the nod to the Polecat, but it's a lot closer of a race than I ever thought it would be. In this case, I think it gets the nod due to the FH desire.
I think light-weight and lid are not a combination that lasts long. I have broken two Polecats, but my 156gr Birdie is still plugging along. But the birdie in my bag is 172gr.
Old 06-28-2018, 07:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 422 Times in 268 Posts

Just took out a classic aviar and nova (purple plate, green rim for consistency sake) to compare. The Classic has more fade when it slows down. Thrown mid power flat the classic fades more, nova still fades. Thrown hard flat, classic moves a little left when it slows, nova really doesn’t. Anny hard, classic flips more but pans back to flat, nova keeps the angle all the way. Hard hyzer, classic crashes out a bit sooner, nova moves left a bit more.

Overall they are very similar in flight for me, with the nova having more just straight up stability. It keeps the release angle integrity more than the classic aviar. For funsies I did a zephyr as well in all the same shots, as I don’t have a polecat but figure they are probably similar. The zephyr has hyzer release stability more similar to the nova, but anhyzer angle pans a bit more like the classic aviar. Hard and flat it does zephyr things. Just goes dead straight (maybe slides a tick right) at a nice slow pace and hovers down to the ground.

Old 06-28-2018, 08:02 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,013 Times in 1,504 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keller View Post
I think light-weight and lid are not a combination that lasts long. I have broken two Polecats, but my 156gr Birdie is still plugging along. But the birdie in my bag is 172gr.
Lightweight (150-class) DX Polecats are awesome get-out-of-jail discs; just don't throw them with too much power. Yes, they may break, but they're cheap and plentiful, and therefore easy to replace and drive on with the DG mission...