Old 05-09-2015, 11:04 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 135
Niced 60 Times in 26 Posts
Default Monster experts please comment

For years my main FH disc has been a pearly champ Monster that I found uninked at a course. I'm thinking about trying to acquire a backup but I understand the pearly champs are somewhat revered. Having never thrown another my question is why? Will a current production champ be different?

I don't really want to go in search of some collectors disc.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2015, 11:17 AM
^Has PhD in Disc-Artistry

Niced 124 Times in 62 Posts

Best feeling, flattest Monsters out there!

Saw a dude unloading them on FB for basically new stock prices, so I guess the collectible value has dropped on 'em. Can't imagine why, they're f'king rad compared to any other Monster. Maybe it's not Speed 18 enough?

Seek them out, it's worth the $$
Old 05-09-2015, 11:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 50
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 3 Times in 3 Posts

They bring the flatness, which is a highly desirable trait in most over stable drivers. Current production monsters are not nearly as flat. That isn't necessarily the end of the world if you don't know any better. With any disc those of us that seek out OOP styles for throwers are just hooked on stuff we've been throwing for years
Old 05-09-2015, 12:04 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.9
Courses Played: 65
Niced 106 Times in 78 Posts

The value has not kept up since compared to current options the Monster is more like a firebird than a top speed meathook, and once you are more in competition with a firebird its game over.

I suggest try a new one. If you don't like it keep an eye out for the flat pearlies. If finding oop discs isn't your thing, try something new, the fast overstable wind killer/sidearm disc market is as saturated as the rest of the market now. Tons of good choices. The lat64 Scythe reminded me a bit of the monster, just a touch wider rim.

(DISCLAIMER) I have never thrown a new monster. The old pearlies (and Proline Pearlies) were great discs, and I have not thrown one since.
Old 05-09-2015, 12:27 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 10.6
Courses Played: 15
Niced 46 Times in 20 Posts

Over time, the Monster has come in 3 different molds.

Current Champion runs are -X, but a few years ago they were -L, current Star are L, and the older pearlies you refer to are somewhere in between.

Lately, Innova has been messing around and running some production Star in the -X mold, but they are not rendering well, FAF/concave, kind of like an 11x Firebird.

If you put an -X next to an -L, you will see a profound difference in wing shape.

I have several of the older PFN Champion Monster -L, I had one of the unique softer pearly Champion, but sold it last year.
Old 05-09-2015, 01:03 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.9
Courses Played: 59
Niced 130 Times in 74 Posts

Try a 750 H2. They're blunt nosed, flat, and while stiff they make great skippers and will spike if given much height. I carry one for more HSS than my lightly seasoned 11x FB.

my old pearly monsters are collecting dust...
Old 05-09-2015, 03:07 PM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7ontheline View Post
Try a 750 H2. They're blunt nosed, flat, and while stiff they make great skippers and will spike if given much height. I carry one for more HSS than my lightly seasoned 11x FB.

my old pearly monsters are collecting dust...
Agree, 750 H2s are excellent discs, and can be used for several different types of shots, I often use them when it is windy and I do not want some other mold getting blown around by the wind, but am not sure about FH, I do not throw them FH so can not comment on that, I know Monster users often throw FH, I like powering overstable molds BH.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.2
Courses Played: 29
Niced 13 Times in 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsdiscs View Post
Over time, the Monster has come in 3 different molds.

Current Champion runs are -X, but a few years ago they were -L, current Star are L, and the older pearlies you refer to are somewhere in between...
I think that era of plastic was the X wing, it just seemed to mold up less stable than later champ plastic. A pearly Orc and current, pre JL Orc have vastly different stabilities in the same direction and there has never been a alternate mold to my knowledge.
Old 05-10-2015, 02:43 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Questatement View Post
I think that era of plastic was the X wing, it just seemed to mold up less stable than later champ plastic. A pearly Orc and current, pre JL Orc have vastly different stabilities in the same direction and there has never been a alternate mold to my knowledge.
Wrong, wrong, wrong, they are significantly different molds, the Monster -X and -L are distinct different molds.

Old 05-10-2015, 09:34 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 135
Niced 60 Times in 26 Posts

Ill go into GGGT this week and try to match one up w mine. I need to go do the same w a Quasar anyway.