Old 03-07-2016, 08:58 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14
Courses Played: 91
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 971 Times in 488 Posts

Orc is to starfire is like an eagle to a teebird.

I haven't thrown either in years, but if I had one now it would probably be a champion orc, as the high speed turn allows you to work a larger variety of lines.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2016, 10:18 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 554 Times in 406 Posts

I started throwing the Starfire again recently after years away from it. Orc has more turn for sure. Im using a Star Starfire 172g. It is very HSS and fairly good LSS. For wind fighting, i'd say STARFIRE for sure because for me, Orcs will turn and can get squirrely in a wind. For my power and style NOW I find the Starfire to be a very reliable STRAIGHT flying disc at High speed. then a reliable fade at low speed. I use it as a bullet straight driver for drives in the 250-350 range.

Orcs are sweet, but if they get beat can get flippy, a Beat starfire is beautiful
Old 03-07-2016, 11:25 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.3
Courses Played: 15
Niced 417 Times in 265 Posts

I second the pd suggestion, my s pd does just fine into a headwind, turns a little bit won't flip. The Orc I had flipped into headwind. No experience with a starfire.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:34 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 20
Niced 43 Times in 28 Posts

I have tried to love the SF, but no dice. The orc is my go to for most straight or r-l drives, and occasionally I work them in the wind on turnovers. The starfire has a very different flight path for me, doesn't ride high for long enough give the fade it has; I guess its the low glide. I have found that beefy star thunderbirds are the best OS compliment to my orcs. They have a good bit of glide and will dump hard in still weather, but in the wind, they turn a bit then settle down slowly in a straight line just like an orc does when its still out.
Old 03-07-2016, 12:34 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,000 Times in 1,497 Posts

Thanks to everyone for the replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictorB View Post
Orc is to starfire is like an eagle to a teebird.
Not to pick nits too much, but my Teebirds have good glide while my Star Starfire is a near-glideless disc. But I otherwise get your point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zmannz1984 View Post
I have tried to love the SF, but no dice. The orc is my go to for most straight or r-l drives, and occasionally I work them in the wind on turnovers. The starfire has a very different flight path for me, doesn't ride high for long enough give the fade it has; I guess its the low glide. I have found that beefy star thunderbirds are the best OS compliment to my orcs. They have a good bit of glide and will dump hard in still weather, but in the wind, they turn a bit then settle down slowly in a straight line just like an orc does when its still out.
My Star and Champ Thunderbirds are plenty beefy and I agree with your assessment of Thunderbirds. Now I just need to find a Star Orc at the right weight...
Old 03-11-2016, 07:04 PM
Snowflake

Update: found a 162g PFN Star Orc at PIAS and acquired it. Took it to the course today with other new discs. The winds were pretty calm, so I didn't get to test it in the headwinds in which I'm hoping to use it. The Orc flew well for me. it got good distance, definitely more glide than the Starfire. It does fade, and I had to fish it out of the lake at my home course after it caught some air and then skipped hard after hitting the ground the first (and second) time. (but I was indeed able to get it back). I think it's going to work well in the windy weather bag.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:15 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 656 Times in 517 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Update: found a 162g PFN Star Orc at PIAS and acquired it. Took it to the course today with other new discs. The winds were pretty calm, so I didn't get to test it in the headwinds in which I'm hoping to use it. The Orc flew well for me. it got good distance, definitely more glide than the Starfire. It does fade, and I had to fish it out of the lake at my home course after it caught some air and then skipped hard after hitting the ground the first (and second) time. (but I was indeed able to get it back). I think it's going to work well in the windy weather bag.
At 162g, you're going to have a hard time keeping that Orc on a straight line in a headwind. I've found Starfires (and not lightweight ones) to be far better headwind discs.
Old 03-11-2016, 07:25 PM
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twmccoy View Post
At 162g, you're going to have a hard time keeping that Orc on a straight line in a headwind. I've found Starfires (and not lightweight ones) to be far better headwind discs.
Yes, the weight might be a little light, and I'll find that out in due time. The PIAS also had a Star Orc (not PFN) at about 170-172g, so I might grab it or another one in a heavier weight if I need to.

I do have a Star Starfire at 170g (I also have a Star FL and Star Firebird, but I digress). I found the Starfire to be 'okay' into the headwinds last week, but it just had NO glide. I really am hoping and thinking the Orc may give me more, even into the wind.

Ergo, I am eager to test out the Orc in more windy conditions. And I was happy with how I threw it in calm conditions today. Maybe my noodle-arm is getting a bit better...
Old 03-12-2016, 09:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 6
Niced 45 Times in 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by THUGNIFICENT763 View Post
Pro plastic Starfires are the SL mold, BTW.
Not all are. I have found numerous non sl starfires in pro plastic at WalMart of all places.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 49.7
Courses Played: 4
Niced 164 Times in 106 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by natedg1976 View Post
Not all are. I have found numerous non sl starfires in pro plastic at WalMart of all places.
I agree. Threw pro starfires and star sl's for awhile. Bought a used pro starfire off feebay or here, not sure, and the wing was definitely different. Sl's have a almost flat wing and this oddball had a concave wing, never had a regular starfire to compare to. If I remember correctly, the first few runs of pro starfires were the x-wing and then they switched to all l-wing for pro. You know how Innova likes to confuse people with different runs and mold changes.

Sorry for thread drift.

More on topic, star sl's could be a good common ground between the two, but I believe they are oop. For reference I throw 300-350 and thought sl's flew more like 10/3/0/2 than the advertised 10/4/-1/2.

Last edited by ilmcgee; 03-12-2016 at 11:59 PM.