Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 03-07-2016, 11:38 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 7
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Do You Use Different Molds In Bag or Minimize Molds?

I have read many of the threads on here and understand the pros and cons of each. I liked that all discs had the similar feel but did different things with wear and or different plastics and used a lot of DX or Pro plastic discs to cycle. It was great and probably helped my game but if I lost one of those perfect discs (easy to do on mountain courses or in the long grass since most of the courses here are in open space areas that get little to no maintenance) it could be hard to replace.

Now, there are so many different discs on the market from all the different brands that all do different things and even have a similar feel to them. The DD Mid line up is a perfect example of different discs with similar feel. So, this year I've gone to a wider selection of molds to cover my various shots all in premium plastics. I still bag a couple molds with multiples but overall it's different molds for different things now and it does not seem to be hurting my game at all and I love being able to easily replace discs with a new one when lost.

I'm really curious if any of you guys going away from mold minimization with all these new discs or am I a minority here?

For those of you DG guru's that are wiser than I. Do you think too many molds, even with similar feel may be a bad thing, good thing or does it not really matter?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-07-2016, 11:48 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 272 Times in 168 Posts

I'm still pretty new and still working hard on getting my form down. I would rather use more discs and maintain a consistent throw and let the discs do the work than change up form with fewer molds.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:52 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 14
Niced 7 Times in 7 Posts

I prefer to have multiples of the same mold in my bag. For me it cuts down on any confusion regarding what disc to throw...if it's a fairway shot it's going to be an FD, if it's longer it will be a PD or Outlaw, or if I don't care about accuracy as much it's a Tern.

It allows me to not second guess my disc selection as much. If it's a bad shot, it was me and not the disc I threw. I'm getting too old to carry a ton of discs also, so this saves my back as an added bonus.

As to your last question, do what works best for you. There's pros and cons for both arguments, but in the end it's what you have confidence in.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 297
Niced 2,000 Times in 995 Posts

I bagz alotta molds, but...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rallyguy View Post
As to your last question, do what works best for you. There's pros and cons for both arguments, but in the end it's what you have confidence in.
^ this. anyone says otherwise, they's lyin'.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 03-07-2016 at 11:59 PM.
Old 03-07-2016, 11:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,169 Times in 525 Posts

Individual preference.
With limited time to play it would take me forever to get a bunch of cycles going. I may get there organically as time goes by, but I don't feel the need to artificially accelerate that process. I have multiples of a couple molds which is easy enough with plastic and PLH variance off the shelf.
Old 03-08-2016, 12:50 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 44
Niced 665 Times in 388 Posts

Do what works best for you. I like mold minimalism, picking molds like Destroyers that I can buy in different plastics and wear in over time to get all my desired flight paths. I think what this gives you is a more consistent release with your discs because your hand doesn't have to adjust to throwing as many different rim widths and depths.

However, I can see what's appealing about the other side of the argument as well. I guess what I would recommend if you're going to carry a bunch of molds is mainly to know exactly what situation you would use every disc in your bag for. If there is a disc that you like but you find yourself pretty much always reaching for something else for its shots, then maybe your should consider culling that disc/mold from your bag. Don't stick discs in just because you have thrown good shots with them in the past. Know for sure which disc you would use for any shot on the fairway so you don't have to second guess yourself when if comes down to picking a disc for a shot.

That's the sort of thing that mold minimalism will give you, but I think you can get the same affect with many molds as long as you are careful and deliberate about what you put in your bag.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 228
Niced 341 Times in 173 Posts

Sure, confidence goes a long way, but there's a difference between confident and competent. I think one advantage mold minimalists have besides familiar feel is that they have better understanding of the range limits within their setups. Guys that smuggle loads of molds in their bags may not have the same ability match a mold to a specific distance.
Old 03-08-2016, 01:36 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 16 Times in 15 Posts

I like both ideas.
I like discs that can do multiple things, which helps minimalize.
But multiples of the same disc really does seem to help if you gel with a certain disc.
Old 03-08-2016, 02:00 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 44
Niced 665 Times in 388 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tu-f-o View Post
But multiples of the same disc really does seem to help if you gel with a certain disc.
^ This. I think after you play for a while and try out lots of discs and brands, you find certain molds that just fit your hand and style of play. I think when you find those particular molds, you often start to build your bag around them, collect backups, etc. Then the cycling really starts because you use that one disc long enough for enough shots to really beat it up and require a second disc of the same mold in the bag. Slowly, the beat up versions of those molds take over shots that used to be owned by other molds. It becomes natural to cycle the molds you love best, no matter if you cycle them in premium plastic or base plastic. If you haven't found those molds that you really love and gel with yet, no worries. Keep trying different discs and eventually you'll settle into the ones that work best for you. I don't think anyone NEEDS to start a cycle of some random mold just because people on the internet tell them that "DX Rocs are good" or whatever. After you play long enough, cycles will develop naturally.

Old 03-08-2016, 02:28 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 7
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies guys.

Right now I'm going to stick with the multiple molds, especially with the mids as I've shot some of the best rounds with then and even nabbed my first ace with them. Sometimes I miss my stack of Roc3's but I can cover more shots with the various DD mids than the various Roc3s I was using.

The drivers are still not set in stone bit my primarys at this point are the Saint and Escape that I still use in multiple plastics and states of wear. I can't decide between the River, beat DX Teebird or trying the FD to round out the drivers. I've had some pretty big breakthroughs with my technique in the last week after finally realizing my major footwork mistake so the drivers may change. I do like having multiples of drivers but I also about lost my mind when I lost one of my perfectly seasoned favorites in Steamboat and would like to be able to find easy replacements. Decisions, decisions....

Last edited by COLODISCR; 03-08-2016 at 02:31 AM.