Old 01-03-2017, 12:19 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 493
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 736 Times in 314 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
It would be nice to get rid of the "driveby killer" reviews for this ranking. You've got Idlewild, Phantom Falls, HB Blueberry and HB Granite among others stuck with one or two reviews more than 2.5 standard deviations below their overall average without them.
That 1.5 on Granite hurts my heart.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-03-2017, 12:39 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 677
Niced 1,429 Times in 655 Posts

Wisconsin has the most courses on the list (7) where much credit goes to the course proprietors. However, 5 of their 7 were designed by Minnesotans. I'm surprised NC has so few courses in the top 50. Are they tougher reviewers or are the courses tougher than reviewers passing through would like?
Old 01-03-2017, 01:29 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 257
Niced 867 Times in 279 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgkdisc View Post
Wisconsin has the most courses on the list (7) where much credit goes to the course proprietors. However, 5 of their 7 were designed by Minnesotans. I'm surprised NC has so few courses in the top 50. Are they tougher reviewers or are the courses tougher than reviewers passing through would like?
I played a bunch of courses in NC (mostly Charlotte area) and if you don't like heavily wooded, you won't like their courses. My favorite ones tended to be further out,courses like Ashe Country Park and Rolling Pines where things open up a bit.

In Minneapolis I only got to play a few courses but I loved Bryant Lake. That's the type of course I gravitate towards and will usually go with stuff like that on trips and avoid heavily wooded courses unless I don't really have other options. Skimming the 50 courses in the list, you don't really see a lot of heavily wooded ones so I'd guess that most disc golfers (or at least reviewers) might lean that way.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-03-2017, 02:00 PM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 133
Niced 674 Times in 346 Posts

huh... I guess I'm in that minority then as I prefer heavily wooded courses by far... that also may be because I'm not a big arm thrower
Old 01-03-2017, 02:04 PM
**SuIciDe AnKles**

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 493
Niced 736 Times in 314 Posts

I'm just used to heavily wooded, living in WI...but you can find nearly anything you'd like in our area.
Old 01-03-2017, 02:11 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 155
Niced 444 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
I played a bunch of courses in NC (mostly Charlotte area) and if you don't like heavily wooded, you won't like their courses. My favorite ones tended to be further out,courses like Ashe Country Park and Rolling Pines where things open up a bit.

In Minneapolis I only got to play a few courses but I loved Bryant Lake. That's the type of course I gravitate towards and will usually go with stuff like that on trips and avoid heavily wooded courses unless I don't really have other options. Skimming the 50 courses in the list, you don't really see a lot of heavily wooded ones so I'd guess that most disc golfers (or at least reviewers) might lean that way.
It does seem that many reviewers deduct for heavily wooded courses. It is a shame because if you can play well here, you can play well anywhere. There are a few more "open" courses here, you just have to know where to look. Ashe County and Rolling Pines are two of my favorite in the state. However, the East Carolina Univ course is very similar to WI courses (at least that is what my buddy from WI that just visited and played it with me says), Patriot, & Cedarock are a couple of other "open" courses. The three I listed are almost completely open while Ashe and RP that Tim mentioned are "moderately wooded". There are tons of moderately wooded courses here too.
My buddy that visited always loves visiting at Christmas due to the good chance of having a 70 degree day playing in shorts and t-shirts (several mid-high 60's days too).
Old 01-03-2017, 02:16 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 155
Niced 444 Times in 192 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stardoggy View Post
I'm just used to heavily wooded, living in WI...but you can find nearly anything you'd like in our area.
That is odd. My buddy from around Madison tells me you guys have way more open courses than wooded. He always struggles with the trees for the first couple of days when he visits. Apparently, based on the new PDGA rankings he is the #1 rated Am in WI so its not that he is a poor golfer.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:16 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 30.4
Courses Played: 677
Niced 1,429 Times in 655 Posts

I think we (MN, WI) might produce wider fairways on our best heavily wooded holes than in NC, possibly due to the mix of trees available for clearing. Plus, the courses in the top 50 are mostly private where trees can be removed more easily and with less permission than say Mecklenberg county (Charlotte) where it appears much of the work on these public courses had to be done by the legendary mule (Stan) and his steadily increasing number of apprentice designers and volunteers. As one of the most accurate mid-range throwers ever, Stan's designer eye, gold level skills, slight evilness and the fact he might have to do the chainsaw work probably lead to tighter fairways.

What's somewhat surprising is the high ranking of heavily wooded Rollin Ridge (which really needs a few more trees to come out). But I can see where reviewers must have been swayed by the great amenities and structures the owner has built onsite that I'm not sure any other owner has truly matched.
Old 01-03-2017, 03:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 58
Niced 228 Times in 134 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post

I figured you liked moderate or lightly wooded courses since you liked Ford park so much. To be honest, from the 1st tee of the first round that I played at Ford, I looked around and said "Beautiful".

Old 01-03-2017, 03:21 PM
*Administrator*

Courses Played: 257
Niced 867 Times in 279 Posts

My one trip to WI we were chased out of Rollin' Ridge by massive swarms of mosquitoes. I've never seen anything like it. I need to come up with a reason to go there again sometime.