Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 12-31-2018, 11:12 AM
Par Member

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts
Default Forehand upgrade to distance driver

I'm looking to add a distance driver or drivers to my bag strictly to forehand for next season. I worked alot on my forehand this year but didn't bump up to distance drivers only stuck with fairways, specifically felons, fuzion felons. I carry 3 of them in my bag now a new one (overstable), a beat one (some turn before fading back to straight) and one in between. I am able to forehand the middle one on a flex line on average about 350 and the beat one about 360.
I want to step up to a distance driver to get a little more distance without trying hard and still making sure it will fade out.
Currently I'm forehanding zones for upshots and felons for everything else.

The first disc that comes to mind is a star xcal? Any other suggestions, comments or ideas?
Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2018, 11:26 AM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,017 Times in 1,507 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbultman View Post
I'm looking to add a distance driver or drivers to my bag strictly to forehand for next season. I worked alot on my forehand this year but didn't bump up to distance drivers only stuck with fairways, specifically felons, fuzion felons. I carry 3 of them in my bag now a new one (overstable), a beat one (some turn before fading back to straight) and one in between. I am able to forehand the middle one on a flex line on average about 350 and the beat one about 360.
I want to step up to a distance driver to get a little more distance without trying hard and still making sure it will fade out.
Currently I'm forehanding zones for upshots and felons for everything else.

The first disc that comes to mind is a star xcal? Any other suggestions, comments or ideas?
Star XCal is what I was going to suggest. Saw a guy at my home course lamenting about not getting good backhand results with his XCal. I asked if he threw forehand, and he tried it with very good results. He was stoked. So XCal, then maybe a Destroyer, then maybe a Krait as you go left to right on the stability chart...

Niced: (1)
Old 12-31-2018, 11:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 48
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 787 Times in 536 Posts

Enforcer.
Old 12-31-2018, 11:47 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 165
Niced 423 Times in 191 Posts

Do you throw backhand? If so, what distance driver do you use?

Niced: (1)
Old 12-31-2018, 11:48 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 658 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Star XCal is what I was going to suggest. Saw a guy at my home course lamenting about not getting good backhand results with his XCal. I asked if he threw forehand, and he tried it with very good results. He was stoked. So XCal, then maybe a Destroyer, then maybe a Krait as you go left to right on the stability chart...
XCals actually do work very well backhand. However, you have to throw them very hard to keep them flat. I agree the Xcal is a good forehand suggestion.

I don't forehand frequently. Maybe once a round on a hole where I need a strong right finish. I use a Flick for that shot.
Old 12-31-2018, 12:12 PM
Par Member

Niced 10 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
Suggestions on a weight to get? Max weight, lighter weight, normal for my felons are 170 and 175 and 175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monocacy View Post
Do you throw backhand? If so, what distance driver do you use?
I throw a mix backhand because I can’t ever decide what I want my distance drivers to do. I’m going to be switching soon to a star destroyer cycle. However currently I bag 2 pd2s (swirly s-line and poptop s-line) 2 defenders (bio and lucid) and 2 trespasses (moonshine and lucid)
Old 12-31-2018, 12:36 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 19.2
Courses Played: 165
Niced 423 Times in 191 Posts

Have you tried throwing FH with your current backhand distance drivers? If so, how did they work (or not work)?

Old 12-31-2018, 12:56 PM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 72
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 967 Times in 636 Posts

Good ones to look at are Star Xcal, Lucid Enforcer, Neutron Phase, Opto Scythe and Opto Giant.
Old 12-31-2018, 01:03 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 45
Niced 563 Times in 285 Posts

Your new star Destroyers should work just fine for distance forehands. Otherwise, your PD2's or Defenders would be a good starting point.

Niced: (3)

Old 12-31-2018, 02:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 74
Niced 128 Times in 97 Posts

Agree with Mocheez, my personal best forehand distance drivers have been any disc that feels shallow and is overstable but not super overstable. If I can find a driver shaped how I like I will just throw those. I have found 400 D1s and C-line PD2s that fit the bill and were domey. I have also thrown Destroyers, Bosses, Giants, Xcals, and Forces as a main forehand driver. But the D1 and PD2 have been my longest lasting ones. Currently using some older poppy PD2s that are super nice.