Old 08-17-2017, 10:05 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 84
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,357 Times in 591 Posts

Unique league rules. Just someplace either in the description or somewhere else where we can spell out rules that are unique to the particular league. Also, you'll want a league name and club name separate because they aren't necessarily the same.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2017, 10:34 AM
*Administrator*

Years Playing: 17.2
Courses Played: 257
Niced 867 Times in 279 Posts

Yea, things like league name, description / info, coordinator(s) I assumed ahead of time. That sort of stuff I'm pretty good at but being someone that never plays competitively, it's the details that I'm unsure about and what is important.

So for bag tag leagues how does that work? Do you play against one other person and then the tags are switched between those two people? In terms of rules, I'm assuming best disc, doubles, singles, etc. is just a descriptive field and doesn't effect how you record the round information afterwards.

For doubles do both players get the same # of points?

Is payout something you'd like calculated through a tool like this? If so, does the club retain a certain percentage and then the rest is distributed based on the remaining cash. How does one decide how much first place gets?
Old 08-17-2017, 11:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 100
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 307 Times in 148 Posts

for league tags, all the tags go in and the best score gets the lowest tag; for a tie the person that came in with the lowest tag gets the lower one. so the worst score gets the highest tag. (usually tags not played for in doubles rounds)

I'd like a calculation tool. in our league the club takes a dollar and the rest goes to payout. payout pays the top 1/3 usually, sometimes 1/4 (sometimes less when I'm having math problems). then it's kinda made up how to split the $. last place gets money back then I look at whats left and divide it giving most to 1st (a calculation tool would be useful); 20ppl=100$, 1/4paid=4ppl, 4th=5$,3rd=15$,2nd=30$,1st=50$, this is just how I do it w/o calculation, seems fair.
Old 08-17-2017, 12:06 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 110
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

I run a league here in DSM on Thursdays and will try to explain how we do

we have 2 divisions and you need to have groups of 4 for it to work so the divisions have same amount of teams (this year we have 36 full time people so 18 teams, 9 per division)

we charge 80 bucks to be full time in the league (20 of that automatically goes to our ace pot every week), the remaining 60 goes to shirts, tags, awards, league party and then payout to top 5 teams (awards are MVP - most points, Hot Shot - lowest scratch average, Division winners, Donkey - lowest amount of points, and a couple of other ones)

teams have an A and B player based on hcp which is a rolling 6 week stretch for each player and depending on the last 6 weeks played you may flip flop between being the A or B player

teams play for 3 points total (player A vs player A, B vs B for 1 point a piece and then 1 point for the team point), scores are determined after hcp who wins the points for the night

tags are played for in the group of 4 with lowest scratch score getting lowest tag and so forth, the person at the end of the year who has the #1 tag gets half off league the following year

I have multiple spreadsheets that keep track of scores and points, what their rating is for the night, win loss ties, and all kinds of other stats

for payouts I take out a certain amount of money and then use the PDGA payout scale to determine how much each team gets
we also have a belt (think WWE style) that goes to the overall full time person in the league who shoots the lowest scratch round for the night, if there is a tie, they have a playoff until one person wins

kind of a quick synopsis of what we do
Old 08-17-2017, 02:05 PM
*Administrator*

Wow.. sounds... complicated crazykrug I'm not familiar with the PDGA payout scale. Is that setup unique to your league or is it that a fairly common thing people do?
Old 08-17-2017, 04:56 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 110
Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

^

actually works out nicely, set aside like 900.00 bucks for example and there is a sheet where I input places paid vs teams and it gives me a breakdown for each place

yeah the league sounds complicated until you see in action lol, we are in our 11th year of doing it though so must be working right?
Old 08-17-2017, 05:33 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 459 Times in 223 Posts

I have played various doubles leagues in my area and they all work about the same.

*No points, so total score determines winner
*2 leagues are 8 weeks long and worst 2 scores are dropped. The other is 10 weeks with 4 dropped scores. You take a 126 if neither player shows
*Divisional splits typically happen after 4 weeks in the 8 week league. No standard, they just take a look at how the scores stack up and try to be fair and keep it competitive. Usually amounts to 4 or 5 divisions or "flights"

The good ones provide the following information on a weekly basis

*running ace pool amount
*CTP and 50/50 winners from previous week
*CTP hole #s for next week (these are usually flight based so the top guys don't win all the freebies)
*Name the guy who hit the ace when applicable and how funds are distributed.. Typically they pay out 75 - 90% to keep the pot running.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:49 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 216 Times in 123 Posts

I run a weekly tags league and another club member runs our weekly dubs. I could post all the details of how we do things and payouts work but that's not important to me in an app.

My dream league app is this:
From their mobile scorecard app they have the option to mark their round as a league round for specific course/time for them and the players on their card. This league round would be setup by the TD and selectable my the mobile user.

The mobile app would then update the league round page after scores are submitted for each hole. This would allow the TD to see exactly how far along the the players are into their round which is extremely helpful if you have a slower group and people are waiting for final results.

When all cards are finalized after 18 holes the results would be presented on the page and sorted from lowest to highest. Option to add in tag numbers after the round and have it calculate distribution, factoring it ties, would be a sweet bonus but not required.

Payouts, ace pots, etc, are too club specific to wrap it all into one app. Stats are cool too but I don't really care about that as a TD. IMHO the app I described above would eliminate the biggest headache TD's have.
Old 08-17-2017, 06:54 PM
*Administrator*

Well this would all be web based in terms of management since, at least in my case, it costs me a small fortune to add things to the app.

That said, doing something like what you mention is certainly possible once I have a good foundation in place on the web end. Although with all information in this thread so far, I have no idea what direction to go with this thing at this point or where to start other than list of dates/courses, players and recording scores.

Old 08-17-2017, 07:43 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 8.6
Courses Played: 34
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 216 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by timg View Post
Well this would all be web based in terms of management since, at least in my case, it costs me a small fortune to add things to the app.

That said, doing something like what you mention is certainly possible once I have a good foundation in place on the web end. Although with all information in this thread so far, I have no idea what direction to go with this thing at this point or where to start other than list of dates/courses, players and recording scores.
I don't want to discourage you, TD tools are seriously lacking. Unfortunately TD's already have a tool for manually entering scores, sorting, and keeping records; it's Google Docs. It's also infinitely more powerful than anything that could be developed because it's a full blown spreadsheet so it can be taylored to anyone's specific needs.

It sucks that modifying the mobile app will be too much of a hardship. Collecting player data is the biggest pain out there.