Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 01-10-2019, 06:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 9
Niced 723 Times in 506 Posts

When it comes to "grippiness" I believe that it's more about softer plastics and ground play I've used soft and firm blend plastics and I like a decently firm putter, I make more putts with them. Remember, Practice makes putts not plastic makes putts. It's the putter not the putted.
Sponsored Links

Old 01-11-2019, 04:24 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 604 Times in 327 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
I'm not the best at searches on here, but there was a post with a youtube link, I think. A guy had made a disc throwing machine. If I think about it I'll look for it when I get off work. Otherwise, a search might find it for you pretty easily... hopefully anyway.
Yeah ive seen it too. Basically a table with a spinning wheel to one side and a groove running next to it so that when you slide a disc up to the spinning wheel it gets snnagged between the groove and the wheel, launching the disc forward while giving it spin too.
Old 01-11-2019, 08:06 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 94
Niced 1,617 Times in 717 Posts

The interface between putter and player is about a bazillion times more important than the interface between putter and chains.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-11-2019, 10:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 44
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 665 Times in 388 Posts

I think Moose said it correctly on the first page of the thread. "Grabby" or "sticky" is the wrong thing to think about. If you watch slow motion video, the chains are always going to rebound off the disc because it's flying too fast for stickiness to make any difference.

A disc that's really flexible might not bounce back or cut through as much. And something lighter is going to require less chains to arrest its momentum. So if you really want to putt with a 150 class super flexible putter, it MIGHT stick in the basket on bad putts more often. But no one wants to do that. So pick a putter that gives you a good putting release and worry about hitting your target rather than worrying about poor putts staying in.

Niced: (1)
Old 01-11-2019, 11:50 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 27
Niced 270 Times in 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
Yeah ive seen it too. Basically a table with a spinning wheel to one side and a groove running next to it so that when you slide a disc up to the spinning wheel it gets snnagged between the groove and the wheel, launching the disc forward while giving it spin too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimb View Post
I'm not the best at searches on here, but there was a post with a youtube link, I think. A guy had made a disc throwing machine. If I think about it I'll look for it when I get off work. Otherwise, a search might find it for you pretty easily... hopefully anyway.
Here are two. One a little more sophisticated and one budget.

Niced: (2)
Old 01-11-2019, 04:48 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 480 Times in 307 Posts

The best a grippy putter could possibly do is hop into the basket on a marginal shot that a harder putter would have cut through or chained out on. Using the plastic you're most comfortable is going to get you into the pro side of the chains more often, to the extent that it will mitigate the disadvantage on marginal shots.

If you're most comfortable with soft plastic, bully for you! I'll stick with my hard putters, I'm inconsistent enough as it is.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:53 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 25
Niced 677 Times in 582 Posts

Yes but in some situations there would be outliers like the DGA Special Steady ED plastic for the Gumput, Blowfly, and others while on the other side the Stiff Pro Pig that is slick when new. I would use one basket to make the playing field accurate in the testing. I do not believe in Sticky plastic but the softness of a disc has a factor in putting especially with the style of putt one is using, I have seen a player have problems using the KC Pro Aviar but when given a JK the person was able to have the disc get in. The person putted so hard that the non soft disc just bounced off the pole however that guy used the KC Pro Aviar as his driving putter.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:59 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.3
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,140 Times in 394 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halcσn View Post
RFF plastic (or probably more appropriately, rubber) by Gateway will most definitely grab chains better than stiffer plastics. It also stuck to my hand, and jacked up my release, which is why I stopped throwing that Wizard.
I have had this problem with soft putters. They tend to stay in hand a pinch longer and don't always have a clean release. Stiff putters tend to slide out of hand much easier.
Old 01-12-2019, 07:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexplz View Post
The best a grippy putter could possibly do is hop into the basket on a marginal shot that a harder putter would have cut through or chained out on. Using the plastic you're most comfortable is going to get you into the pro side of the chains more often, to the extent that it will mitigate the disadvantage on marginal shots.

If you're most comfortable with soft plastic, bully for you! I'll stick with my hard putters, I'm inconsistent enough as it is.
I use soft but firm plastic being the Jawbreaker for my Magnet though for years mid 2006-Aug 2017 I was using a old stiff Pro D Magnet for closer putting still in bag with a gone Standard modern Pro D Mangnet From 2008 as the further putter simply due to the disc being more forgiving on missed puts. I know the hard was what I wanted but the Jawbreaker is soft without being too floppy for my putting . I also have a Upshot #2 in Prostyle as my uphill and downhill putter simply due to how soft the disc is but the fact that even at one point being my Driving putter the Disc never really got to the DGA Steady plastic floppy.

Old 01-12-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD86 View Post
That's because you're used to it (XT). I prefer putters in firm but not-too-grippy plastic, such as Classic/ZeroHard/BTHard. XT is okay, but sometimes its more grippy than I want it to be and ends up staying with my hand longer than I'm used to.

So yes, a lot of it is what you practice with and get used to...
Not true, I knew switching from old hard Pro D Magnet to the Softer Jawbreaker was the right move though I still have the Hard disc in my bag for if the weather is making the Jawbreaker plastic too sticky, the only flaw it has.