Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 04-05-2019, 07:49 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 72 Times in 21 Posts

You want a ringer. Or, if you liked the thumb track on the rhyno, the ringer gt.
Sponsored Links

Old 04-05-2019, 08:05 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 22
Niced 18 Times in 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maJsty14 View Post
(I'm going to shy away from Gateway Discs simply because of what I've heard about inconsistent plastics . . . I'm not a solid enough player at this point to deal with that)
It's not inconsistent. Think of it as being able to get exactly what you want, not just picking from the few options available. Plus, don't forget that the complaint is always about how the disc feels different, and NOT about how it FLIES different.

As for the disc recommendations:
If you don't like the Aviar PnA - that's the shallowest Aviar. Don't bother trying the Aviar Driver, KC Aviar, Big Bead Aviar, Omega, Whale, Challenger, or any of the other putters that are all taller than the Aviar PnA. Basically - the Aviar and its clones are out.

If you truly want shallow discs - I loved shallow putters starting out, so I understand where you're coming from. Here's a brief list of discs that are actually shallow:

Innova Dart
Innova XD
Innova Colt

Discraft Ringer
Discraft Zone (super beefy)

Judge
Pure
Reko
Warden

Gateway Shaman (new run)
Gateway Chief (new run)
Gateway Chief OS (new run) - you could easily pick up all 3 from Gateway Underground in either SureGrip or Diamond. I don't know if you like premium plastic or not.

On the off hand, if you think the Aviar PnA is just slightly too tall - a few Omegas are shorter, but it's hard to find them. You'd be better off just picking a shallow mold and possibly moving on to different putters once you've gotten past the deep feel of things.

I began out with the XD and then the Dart - then went to Aviars after a few years. Haven't looked back. I also love the Cobra - there is nothing wrong with bagging the Cobra still.
Old 04-05-2019, 10:32 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 20
Niced 553 Times in 405 Posts

MVP ATOM is fairly thin, comfortable, all around can do a LOT and its straight, even with some snap - I like the Medium and Firms (not a soft fan, but that's me)

If stable, thin, comfortable and affordable ----the Atom really does everything. If you're a flight # guy its like 3/3/0/1

Niced: (1)
Old 04-05-2019, 10:56 AM

Years Playing: 1.2
Courses Played: 6
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4 Times in 3 Posts
Default oh . . . oh my . . . ah HA!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by xare View Post
If you don't like the Aviar PnA - that's the shallowest Aviar.
So I just grabbed my Aviar PnA and, actually, I don't think that it's how tall it is, I think that it's the combination of the height AND not having a bead. This led to an interesting observation - I was attributing the height of the Focus and the Wizard to my dislike for those discs, but upon grabbing one in comparison to the PnA it really has a lot more to do with the huge nose on those discs than the height. It puts the bead in a weird spot for me and doesn't feel natural in hand. Perhaps my quest isn't necessarily for a shallow disc, but has more to do with feel of the rim!

The straight slope of the PnA actually puts my finger in a very comfortable spot (perfect spot even, actually feels a lot like my modified fan grip on my beloved Cobra even though that disc has wings), but the lack of bead feels awkward to me on this disc. When I had a Warden I found it very comfortable even though it's also beadless, but I think that worked for me because the disc was a little shallower and the rim felt a touch wider than the PnA.

Hmm! HMM!!!

Now I'm definitely interested in the Yeti, KC, and JK if they are truly just the PnA with a bead. Is this an accurate assessment?

Also, I may end up grabbing an Envy to try as well since so many folks here (and elsewhere) recommend it.

TL;DR: It turns out that my issue may have less to do with disc height and more to do with the combination of height, nose shape, and bead placement ("Uhh . . . duh!"). That said, the Aviar PnA would feel pretty near perfect if it had a bead - are the KC, JK, and/or Yeti just beaded PnA in different feeling pro plastics?

. . .

For anyone else that may be looking into a shallow, stable putter in the future, here are the recommendations in this post by count:
Envy: 4
Bull Frog: 2
Judge: 2
Stud: 2
Maiden: 2
Atom: 2
Tomb: 1
Rhyno: 1 (beat in)
Ringer/Ringer GT: 1
Old 04-05-2019, 10:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 53
Niced 202 Times in 115 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gmtata01 View Post
Try a Bull Frog...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titan037 View Post
Bullfrog or maiden
I also suggest a Bullfrog. I had a hard time finding a decent grip to use Aviars as throwers, so if you also prefer a shallow putter, the Bullfrog is worth a look. It's my main thrower and putter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowie View Post
A buddy of mine putts with a stud .
The Stud feels a lot like the Bullfrog in the hand, but the top is not as flat. This doesn't bother me, but it does make the feel a bit different. Stud is another good shallow option though.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:04 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 54
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 241 Times in 158 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aphilso1 View Post
You want an Envy.

Harps are overstable and deep, so the opposite of what you want.
Harp has the same depth as an Envy: 1.4cm

Truly shallow putters with stability:

Ringer - 1.2cm depth

Maiden, Bull Frog: 1.3cm

Last edited by Monkeypaws; 04-05-2019 at 11:09 AM.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:19 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,169 Times in 525 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maJsty14 View Post
So I just grabbed my Aviar PnA and, actually, I don't think that it's how tall it is, I think that it's the combination of the height AND not having a bead. This led to an interesting observation - I was attributing the height of the Focus and the Wizard to my dislike for those discs, but upon grabbing one in comparison to the PnA it really has a lot more to do with the huge nose on those discs than the height. It puts the bead in a weird spot for me and doesn't feel natural in hand. Perhaps my quest isn't necessarily for a shallow disc, but has more to do with feel of the rim!

The straight slope of the PnA actually puts my finger in a very comfortable spot (perfect spot even, actually feels a lot like my modified fan grip on my beloved Cobra even though that disc has wings), but the lack of bead feels awkward to me on this disc. When I had a Warden I found it very comfortable even though it's also beadless, but I think that worked for me because the disc was a little shallower and the rim felt a touch wider than the PnA.

Hmm! HMM!!!

Now I'm definitely interested in the Yeti, KC, and JK if they are truly just the PnA with a bead. Is this an accurate assessment?

Also, I may end up grabbing an Envy to try as well since so many folks here (and elsewhere) recommend it.

TL;DR: It turns out that my issue may have less to do with disc height and more to do with the combination of height, nose shape, and bead placement ("Uhh . . . duh!"). That said, the Aviar PnA would feel pretty near perfect if it had a bead - are the KC, JK, and/or Yeti just beaded PnA in different feeling pro plastics?

. . .

For anyone else that may be looking into a shallow, stable putter in the future, here are the recommendations in this post by count:
Envy: 4
Bull Frog: 2
Judge: 2
Stud: 2
Maiden: 2
Atom: 2
Tomb: 1
Rhyno: 1 (beat in)
Ringer/Ringer GT: 1
Aviar PnA is a different mold.
I think you should look seriously at the Yeti aviars. They are the beaded aviar, however they flatten the top (or even create a sunken top) so they feel more shallow than any other aviar. Excellent putter.
Old 04-05-2019, 11:45 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.1
Courses Played: 30
Niced 661 Times in 326 Posts

Judge (in anything other than Prime plastic, which is as durable as Play-Doh), Envy, or Yeti are all solid suggestions
Old 04-05-2019, 11:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 188
Niced 1,559 Times in 908 Posts

pure

its like a mini buzz

Niced: (1)

Old 04-05-2019, 11:58 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.2
Courses Played: 129