Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 05-15-2019, 02:15 PM
Par Member

Niced 124 Times in 63 Posts
Default Should we lower the rim width/speed regulations for distance drivers?

A long distance drive is a beautiful thing.

That said, the current disc technology that will likely continue to improve and the true athletes that are being drawn to our support are stretching our courses longer and longer.

I used to see the fact that disc golf required far less pristine land as a great selling point for communities and property owners. Let alone the minimal environmental impact and the ease of play without motorized carts.

Today we are starting to clear trees for 1000’+ fairways on which we want well manicured grass that may require pesticides and erosion control. Is this where we want our sport to go? Is it better to play amongst the trees in a more natural setting? Is the possibility of throwing a 700’ roller that important to us?

I am all for modernizing the game and growing the sport but also feel that we should learn from what we’ve seen with ball golf. Their courses come at high financial and environmental costs.

I would argue that a 400‘ drive in the 90s was just as beautiful to us as a 600’ drive is today. There is a reason other sports do not allow you to use a super ball off the tee or cork in your bat.

FYI, I would not consider myself a noodle arm. I do better than average in my age bracket. I am not just whining because I can’t do it.

I suppose the bigger question is, how large and manicured do we want our courses to be? This may all sound very serious but I do not expect a change. I’m really just pokin’ the bear and stepping back.

Cheers
Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2019, 02:45 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 480 Times in 307 Posts

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=133681

Check out that thread for an interesting discussion about pro distance.

I think it's at the end of the video I linked that suggested that the way to balance crazy long drives is actually to shrink the distance of holes. This nerfs the advantage that comes from throwing far and making eagle.
Old 05-15-2019, 03:14 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 49.7
Courses Played: 4
Niced 164 Times in 106 Posts

I don't think it's just about long drives. I think it's about keeping the integrity of the sport. A lot enjoy the sport because the courses are smaller and more integrated with nature. And that is more in line with how the sport started. Sure big drives are fun, but so are secluded technical courses.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,505 Times in 1,592 Posts

I think it would only make windy rounds hard to watch for the pro's, in comparison to what they are able to throw now. Fast stable discs through a headwind are a big advantage.

Other than that...I dunno. Simon can throw putters over 450'. That's farther than most any normal player can throw any disc ever.

I can't wait to see the new starter pack challenge from CCDG and see how far they throw those things.

Again I think it'd just hurt some weird low lines/hard skip shots at distance, and really come into play on windy days.

As far as normal players, most people would probably do much better if they couldn't throw high speed discs.

Niced: (2)
Old 05-15-2019, 03:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.2
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,037 Times in 1,365 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilmcgee View Post
I don't think it's just about long drives. I think it's about keeping the integrity of the sport. A lot enjoy the sport because the courses are smaller and more integrated with nature. And that is more in line with how the sport started. Sure big drives are fun, but so are secluded technical courses.
Those courses aren't going away.

And at least around here, as new courses are built, only a few are bomber courses.

The PDGA drew a line on rim width, so I don't know how much further the technology is going to go. I can't imagine it being rolled back, though.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21.6
Courses Played: 150
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,234 Times in 1,359 Posts

Two things...

One, we already have had a limit on rim width, which the manufacturers have already maxed out. Rims aren't going to continue to get wider any more.

Two, the toothpaste is out of the tube and there's no getting it back in. Restricting rim width further and in the same motion making 100+ molds illegal for competition would have a disastrous effect on the marketplace. This isn't like in ball golf where they outlawed anchored putters and impacted a small fraction of the players in the game...everyone throws wide rim, high speed drivers. I'm just not seeing folks being okay with giving up their Destroyers and Forces and D4s and Ballistas.

Also, our game doesn't have to trend to bigger courses with more open fairways that require more upkeep. There's no reason we have to move away from our wooded fairways. Seems to me that building 1000 foot manicured fairways and creating chances to throw 700 foot rollers is a design choice that is entirely independent of disc manufacturing standards.

Old 05-15-2019, 04:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 29.3
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,140 Times in 394 Posts

Old 05-15-2019, 04:40 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post

Yep, he did that and it was an amazing tailwind exhibition throw. I wonder why he doesn’t do that all the time.??? Also, this illustrates my point, he didn’t throw it 650’ did he.??? ;-)
Old 05-15-2019, 05:14 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 126 Times in 74 Posts

Simon lizotte can throw a putter 500 feet. You aren't gonna stop this by banning high speed drivers.

Old 05-15-2019, 05:28 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shamis View Post
Simon lizotte can throw a putter 500 feet. You aren't gonna stop this by banning high speed drivers.

OK, one more time. Yes, he can throw a putter 500 feet but he can throw a high-speed driver over 850 feet. Do you see the difference there?

chuckles ;-)