Old 01-08-2009, 11:59 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 56
Niced 15 Times in 9 Posts
Default Forehand approaches and discs.

I'd like to have suggestions for mids that are good for forehands. I don't like DX discs for forehands. They don't come out of my hand smoothly. I haven't tried Pro, but that's because it's the same grippy plastic, and it wouldn't work that well either. I like star plastic, but love discraft's ESP and would probably love FLX also. and anything similar. I need something more stable than a slightly beat in roc and a brand spanking new buzzz. i was thinking a wasp would be good (in ESP), but i've never thrown one. so for someone who has thrown a buzzz as a forehand mid and a wasp as the same, do they work well for that? or for someone who has thrown a buzzz and any other mid forehand, how do those other discs compare to the buzzz?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-2009, 12:37 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 42
Niced 67 Times in 25 Posts

the buzzz works pretty well as a forehand mid for me. Other discs of mine that work well forehand would be the coyote and the stingray, theyre very controllable and dont seem to need a huge adjustment to throw as a mid versus throwing your drivers. As a predominantly forehand player this is what works for me. Both these innova discs are more controllable than the buzzz forehand, and at least with my game theres no real sacrifice in distance either. However, I dont feel very comfortable driving and of them forehand, backhand seems to me to be the best option for driving midranges and putters, except for the pro Rhyno which flies magically forehand
Old 01-09-2009, 12:48 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 12
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

innova cro works good for straight and hyzer shots and dosnt roll or skip too much, i dont use it with annie as it dosnt like to fade back just keep going straight without turning over, for turnovers shots i use a jls or leopard. cro also works good for sidearm
Old 01-09-2009, 12:59 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 84
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Buzzz is Excellent for forehand approaches. It is my go to sidearm approach disc. I typically throw it with anhyzer and let it flatten out. This kind of throw requires very little arm movement since it is all in the wrist.

The Roc/Wasp is a good sidearm hyzer disc, but is harder to get a clean release on (at least for me, as I used a modified, not-typical sidearm grip).

Don't be afraid to throw drivers for mid-range sidearm shots. An overstable disc can be very accurate for sweeping hyzers.

Putters can also work for sidearm shots up to about 100 ft. It requires a lot of finesse to throw them with accuracy, but once you get it down it is a shot that can get you out of a lot of trouble. I recommend using soft putter for this shot as they absorb the snap and are easier to grip with 2 fingers. This is another finesse shot - all in the wrist.. a slight anhyzer release will help to get some distance.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:28 AM
Banned

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 12
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

i got forehand mixed up with backhand again sorry bout that i always call it sidearm but what i said about the cro still makes sense but i wouldnt use a jls or leopard for sidearm to understable id probaly use a skeeter,TL,Eagle for annie. what simoncarr said about throwing drivers is right on, a good slighty overstable fairway or slow distance driver works good too. try a t-bird or equvilant discraft those types of disc will be easier to release than some mids and p&a discs are which will help staying consistent
Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.2
Courses Played: 15
Niced 7 Times in 5 Posts

Ths Star FL works as a great upshot forehand disc. The disc is fabulous for forehand throws.
Old 01-09-2009, 08:43 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 56
Niced 15 Times in 9 Posts

did anyone read past my first sentence?

Niced: (1)
Old 01-09-2009, 09:05 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 97
Niced 7 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by `cjc View Post
Ths Star FL works as a great upshot forehand disc. The disc is fabulous for forehand throws.
I've been liking my FL for short flicks as well. Also been using my champ teebird for a straighter shot
Old 01-09-2009, 09:49 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 15.3
Courses Played: 81
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I like overstable discs for forehand...I can throw medium-stable and under-stable discs, but since my forehand shot is still being developed I find overstable to be the most consistent for me.

Technically it isn't a midrange disc, but the Whippet works great. You can usually find CFR Star Whippets for around $15 online. I'm in the process of getting rid of my Champ Whippets, only because they're hard to replace, and I'm transitioning over to the Gateway Demon (S plastic). Another good overstable selection would be the Sentinel. All 3 of those fly like mids, but the Whippet is technically a fairway driver...

Old 01-09-2009, 09:59 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 9
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan P. View Post
did anyone read past my first sentence?
HAHAHA nobody did

i'm primarily a FH driver and anything from midrange and closer is backhand - but i was curious and asked a similar question after i tried throwing my buzzz's FH they just looked ugly - they had some decent distance but were prone to turning over

if you like Star plastic try a Star Gator - it was suggested to me - they can handle a FH for sure - very overstable & great for winds FH&BH you dont need as much finesse FH as you would with a Buzzz

i have a Wasp but its marginally more overstable than the buzzz and wouldnt be dramatically different than throwing your buzzz FH

i've never tried it but Discraft makes a Drone which is very overstable (flies similar to the Gator )which they make in FLX plastic - not esp but fairly close. hope this helps