Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 29
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've never thrown a River, but I bought three 172 FDs and love them. I've never seen a disc skip FORWARD when it hits before. Put just the slightest bit of hyzer on it and it will flip up and glide for days. Relpaced my Leopard instantly.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 26
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
keep in mind that in the Rivers there is a huge difference in performance based upon weight.
Very true, but in my opinion, heavier rivers overlap a lot with more workable and wind resistant fairway drivers like SEX's. The FD flies more like a heavy river, but also has decent control in moderate winds, is just as glidey as the river and gets great distance. Pairing the FD with the SEX is a great combo. In moderately windy conditions, the FD comes out for shaped shots and lower ceiling shots and in the wind the eagle handles most shots except for tailwind shots.

I am hoping that the FD will work into a killer hyzer flipper like the lighter gl rivers and I'll be rid of rivers for good... I have nothing against rivers other than they are not nearly as comfortable as eagles and fds.
Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 177
Niced 116 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
Very true, but in my opinion, heavier rivers overlap a lot with more workable and wind resistant fairway drivers like SEX's. The FD flies more like a heavy river, but also has decent control in moderate winds, is just as glidey as the river and gets great distance. Pairing the FD with the SEX is a great combo. In moderately windy conditions, the FD comes out for shaped shots and lower ceiling shots and in the wind the eagle handles most shots except for tailwind shots.

I am hoping that the FD will work into a killer hyzer flipper like the lighter gl rivers and I'll be rid of rivers for good... I have nothing against rivers other than they are not nearly as comfortable as eagles and fds.
I give the River a little more speed and a lot more glide than the Star Eagle-X, so I would not go as far as comparing them in the same ball park. I would have to muscle the Eagle to shape the lines I want (otherwise I would just use a mid), while the River is far easier to throw.

Overall I see what you are saying and agree with you.

I cannot say how the River would stack up against the Jackal, but I love pairing my River with a heavier Star Teebird. That is a great combo for courses that have some tight windows.
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 16
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts

I also agree on the different weight Rivers being almost completely different discs. Thats actually one my favorite qualities with the River. Keeping a heavy Opto or GL for straight shots or hyzers, and a light GL for hyzer-flip turnovers or low powered flip-to-flat straight shots with zero fade. I was asking about the variation in weight with the FD's in hopes of lighter ones being more understable.

I'm curious about what kind of lines are you guys shaping with your heavy Rivers? The reason I ask is because I haven't had much luck throwing mine on anything beside powered straight shots or slow turning hyzers. Whenever I put them on an anhyzer, they seem to hold it to the ground. If I give them enough height they will flatten out, sometimes fading back a bit at the very end.

I also see how pairing Rivers with a Teebird or Eagle would be a good combo. I throw PD's along with mine and typically use my SPD for shaping shots or throwing into winds the River won't handle well. Only problem is sometimes my PD can be a little long.

Oh BTW I got my FD's today and played one round with them this afternon. So far I'm digging them. More comfy in the hand, and nice and straight when thrown 325' or so. My only concern would be that I'd have to keep my light GL River in the bag for now if I wanted to keep using the Jackal. The FD isn't flippy enough yet to execute those late turning hyzer-flips that my 165 GL River is soooo good at.
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 9
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
I also agree on the different weight Rivers being almost completely different discs. Thats actually one my favorite qualities with the River. Keeping a heavy Opto or GL for straight shots or hyzers, and a light GL for hyzer-flip turnovers or low powered flip-to-flat straight shots with zero fade. I was asking about the variation in weight with the FD's in hopes of lighter ones being more understable.

I'm curious about what kind of lines are you guys shaping with your heavy Rivers? The reason I ask is because I haven't had much luck throwing mine on anything beside powered straight shots or slow turning hyzers. Whenever I put them on an anhyzer, they seem to hold it to the ground. If I give them enough height they will flatten out, sometimes fading back a bit at the very end.

I also see how pairing Rivers with a Teebird or Eagle would be a good combo. I throw PD's along with mine and typically use my SPD for shaping shots or throwing into winds the River won't handle well. Only problem is sometimes my PD can be a little long.

Oh BTW I got my FD's today and played one round with them this afternon. So far I'm digging them. More comfy in the hand, and nice and straight when thrown 325' or so. My only concern would be that I'd have to keep my light GL River in the bag for now if I wanted to keep using the Jackal. The FD isn't flippy enough yet to execute those late turning hyzer-flips that my 165 GL River is soooo good at.
what weight FD did you get? my 171 was guarantee hyzer-flip to right turn every time...(with mild headwinds) i would say a light FD would be money in calm or tailwinds
Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 16
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugjitsu View Post
what weight FD did you get? my 171 was guarantee hyzer-flip to right turn every time...(with mild headwinds) i would say a light FD would be money in calm or tailwinds
I got a 172 and a 175. The 175 does seem a bit more stable than the 172, it also has a larger dome. Anybody notice stablility differences due to flatish vs domey?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 AM
Bogey Member

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I love the river so this will be biased. I have in my bag a 176 GL, a 172 beat opto, and a 173 GL. The GL in heavy weights are consistent performers even in wind. They are very neutral in flight tending towards stable. My 172 is the oldest disc in my bag It does not handle headwind well but is the most effortless distance disc I have. I throw it for late turn and hyzer flip. Mid weight GL is neutral to understable. Turns a little and holds low lines well. No river holds high lines well unless you throw further than 350'. Use a mid for shorter shots.

Not as much experience with FD. It seems more stable but not as useful. I can't get it to hold the lines I put it on. You force it onto lines but you lose the effortlessness I think of as key to good fairway style drives.

I guess my verdict is this. Jackal is better in wind due to added stability but river is longer and easier to throw. To me a good fairway driver is a disc that you can throw super relaxed with good snap and have it find its line with little effort and great precision. That disc is the river for me.
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 64
Niced 112 Times in 51 Posts

So I am probably one of the biggest river advocates I know, so hear this out with that in mind.

I have a 174ish gl river and a 175 S-FD. I have been throwing them side by side and hear is what I think.

The rims feel MUCH different, so I think that is definitely something to consider when making the decision. The rim on the river feels much like a tl or whatever but the FD rim felt a lot more like a midrange.

Aside from that hear is my experience. I always used the river for pinpoint accuracy, the glide on it let me power it down enough to hit crazy accurate shots. So, pretty much any hole from 260-330, I would pull out the river and hyzer flip it and get maybe 2' of fade at the end.

When I full force hyzer flip the river (a lot of force) it holds the line THE WHOLE WAY. It never turns over and I've been using it heavily for a few months now. So, although it may eventually beat up, I get plenty of life out of them. So, full force hyzerflip = frozen rope. If I throw it flat or with anhyzer, its never coming back...ever.

Now to the FD. I pulled out the FD side by side for a lot of the shots. I would use it after the river on the same holes I would normally use the river. I agree that the river is faster. The FD did seem a little bit slower. The FD surprisingly, as much as I hate to say it, had the same glide. It flew forever.

Here is the main difference I found. The FD wants to turn. If I Hyzerflip it like the river, it will flip to flat, but it will turn during the flight. Not a lot, but more than the river. That being said, it is still crazy accurate. If I throw it flat, powered down, I feel like I can hit any shot I need to. BUT, I will not say it is as accurate for a hyzerflip because it turns in the middle.

Aside from that, they are almost the same disc. But now you have a bigger choice in plastic type (if you prefer stamp to GL) , rim type, and availability. I will probably keep testing the FD but that is what I have come up with so far.

I agree with the FD doing better in a HEADWIND. In a tail wind, I will never stop throwing my river!
Old 05-26-2012, 01:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 217 Times in 94 Posts

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am facing the FD/River dilemma in deciding to sell the FD or not.

I love the easy extra distance the River gets me, but the FD does seem to handle power and shape lines a little better. That being said, I pair the River with the Teebird, and I have most shots covered.

Does anyone know if there is a schedule for different plastics for the FD? The hope of finding a production P-FD is what is making me keep it off the Marketplace. Thanks.

Old 05-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

I emailed Mark at Disc Golf Values looking for P FDs. He hasn't responded yet.