#11  
Old 04-10-2012, 01:01 PM
pineappletrees's Avatar
pineappletrees pineappletrees is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Kansas City, MO
Courses Played: 29
Posts: 752
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I've never thrown a River, but I bought three 172 FDs and love them. I've never seen a disc skip FORWARD when it hits before. Put just the slightest bit of hyzer on it and it will flip up and glide for days. Relpaced my Leopard instantly.
Sponsored Links
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-10-2012, 01:39 PM
Carter Carter is offline
Par Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Dallas
Years Playing: 10.2
Courses Played: 26
Posts: 183
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
keep in mind that in the Rivers there is a huge difference in performance based upon weight.
Very true, but in my opinion, heavier rivers overlap a lot with more workable and wind resistant fairway drivers like SEX's. The FD flies more like a heavy river, but also has decent control in moderate winds, is just as glidey as the river and gets great distance. Pairing the FD with the SEX is a great combo. In moderately windy conditions, the FD comes out for shaped shots and lower ceiling shots and in the wind the eagle handles most shots except for tailwind shots.

I am hoping that the FD will work into a killer hyzer flipper like the lighter gl rivers and I'll be rid of rivers for good... I have nothing against rivers other than they are not nearly as comfortable as eagles and fds.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-10-2012, 04:24 PM
smarkquart smarkquart is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Hutchinson, MN
Years Playing: 14.2
Courses Played: 177
Posts: 3,664
Niced 116 Times in 72 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carter View Post
Very true, but in my opinion, heavier rivers overlap a lot with more workable and wind resistant fairway drivers like SEX's. The FD flies more like a heavy river, but also has decent control in moderate winds, is just as glidey as the river and gets great distance. Pairing the FD with the SEX is a great combo. In moderately windy conditions, the FD comes out for shaped shots and lower ceiling shots and in the wind the eagle handles most shots except for tailwind shots.

I am hoping that the FD will work into a killer hyzer flipper like the lighter gl rivers and I'll be rid of rivers for good... I have nothing against rivers other than they are not nearly as comfortable as eagles and fds.
I give the River a little more speed and a lot more glide than the Star Eagle-X, so I would not go as far as comparing them in the same ball park. I would have to muscle the Eagle to shape the lines I want (otherwise I would just use a mid), while the River is far easier to throw.

Overall I see what you are saying and agree with you.

I cannot say how the River would stack up against the Jackal, but I love pairing my River with a heavier Star Teebird. That is a great combo for courses that have some tight windows.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 04-10-2012, 11:57 PM
Strauss's Avatar
Strauss Strauss is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Plattsburgh, NY
Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 713
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts
Default

I also agree on the different weight Rivers being almost completely different discs. Thats actually one my favorite qualities with the River. Keeping a heavy Opto or GL for straight shots or hyzers, and a light GL for hyzer-flip turnovers or low powered flip-to-flat straight shots with zero fade. I was asking about the variation in weight with the FD's in hopes of lighter ones being more understable.

I'm curious about what kind of lines are you guys shaping with your heavy Rivers? The reason I ask is because I haven't had much luck throwing mine on anything beside powered straight shots or slow turning hyzers. Whenever I put them on an anhyzer, they seem to hold it to the ground. If I give them enough height they will flatten out, sometimes fading back a bit at the very end.

I also see how pairing Rivers with a Teebird or Eagle would be a good combo. I throw PD's along with mine and typically use my SPD for shaping shots or throwing into winds the River won't handle well. Only problem is sometimes my PD can be a little long.

Oh BTW I got my FD's today and played one round with them this afternon. So far I'm digging them. More comfy in the hand, and nice and straight when thrown 325' or so. My only concern would be that I'd have to keep my light GL River in the bag for now if I wanted to keep using the Jackal. The FD isn't flippy enough yet to execute those late turning hyzer-flips that my 165 GL River is soooo good at.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 04-11-2012, 11:34 PM
thugjitsu's Avatar
thugjitsu thugjitsu is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: La Habra
Courses Played: 9
Posts: 1,426
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strauss View Post
I also agree on the different weight Rivers being almost completely different discs. Thats actually one my favorite qualities with the River. Keeping a heavy Opto or GL for straight shots or hyzers, and a light GL for hyzer-flip turnovers or low powered flip-to-flat straight shots with zero fade. I was asking about the variation in weight with the FD's in hopes of lighter ones being more understable.

I'm curious about what kind of lines are you guys shaping with your heavy Rivers? The reason I ask is because I haven't had much luck throwing mine on anything beside powered straight shots or slow turning hyzers. Whenever I put them on an anhyzer, they seem to hold it to the ground. If I give them enough height they will flatten out, sometimes fading back a bit at the very end.

I also see how pairing Rivers with a Teebird or Eagle would be a good combo. I throw PD's along with mine and typically use my SPD for shaping shots or throwing into winds the River won't handle well. Only problem is sometimes my PD can be a little long.

Oh BTW I got my FD's today and played one round with them this afternon. So far I'm digging them. More comfy in the hand, and nice and straight when thrown 325' or so. My only concern would be that I'd have to keep my light GL River in the bag for now if I wanted to keep using the Jackal. The FD isn't flippy enough yet to execute those late turning hyzer-flips that my 165 GL River is soooo good at.
what weight FD did you get? my 171 was guarantee hyzer-flip to right turn every time...(with mild headwinds) i would say a light FD would be money in calm or tailwinds
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 04-12-2012, 12:46 AM
Strauss's Avatar
Strauss Strauss is offline
Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Plattsburgh, NY
Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 16
Posts: 713
Niced 36 Times in 25 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by thugjitsu View Post
what weight FD did you get? my 171 was guarantee hyzer-flip to right turn every time...(with mild headwinds) i would say a light FD would be money in calm or tailwinds
I got a 172 and a 175. The 175 does seem a bit more stable than the 172, it also has a larger dome. Anybody notice stablility differences due to flatish vs domey?
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 04-12-2012, 01:07 AM
gknmnstr's Avatar
gknmnstr gknmnstr is offline
Bogey Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 50
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I love the river so this will be biased. I have in my bag a 176 GL, a 172 beat opto, and a 173 GL. The GL in heavy weights are consistent performers even in wind. They are very neutral in flight tending towards stable. My 172 is the oldest disc in my bag It does not handle headwind well but is the most effortless distance disc I have. I throw it for late turn and hyzer flip. Mid weight GL is neutral to understable. Turns a little and holds low lines well. No river holds high lines well unless you throw further than 350'. Use a mid for shorter shots.

Not as much experience with FD. It seems more stable but not as useful. I can't get it to hold the lines I put it on. You force it onto lines but you lose the effortlessness I think of as key to good fairway style drives.

I guess my verdict is this. Jackal is better in wind due to added stability but river is longer and easier to throw. To me a good fairway driver is a disc that you can throw super relaxed with good snap and have it find its line with little effort and great precision. That disc is the river for me.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 04-12-2012, 08:48 AM
tampabay's Avatar
tampabay tampabay is offline
Double Eagle Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Courses Played: 64
Posts: 1,482
Niced 112 Times in 51 Posts
Default

So I am probably one of the biggest river advocates I know, so hear this out with that in mind.

I have a 174ish gl river and a 175 S-FD. I have been throwing them side by side and hear is what I think.

The rims feel MUCH different, so I think that is definitely something to consider when making the decision. The rim on the river feels much like a tl or whatever but the FD rim felt a lot more like a midrange.

Aside from that hear is my experience. I always used the river for pinpoint accuracy, the glide on it let me power it down enough to hit crazy accurate shots. So, pretty much any hole from 260-330, I would pull out the river and hyzer flip it and get maybe 2' of fade at the end.

When I full force hyzer flip the river (a lot of force) it holds the line THE WHOLE WAY. It never turns over and I've been using it heavily for a few months now. So, although it may eventually beat up, I get plenty of life out of them. So, full force hyzerflip = frozen rope. If I throw it flat or with anhyzer, its never coming back...ever.

Now to the FD. I pulled out the FD side by side for a lot of the shots. I would use it after the river on the same holes I would normally use the river. I agree that the river is faster. The FD did seem a little bit slower. The FD surprisingly, as much as I hate to say it, had the same glide. It flew forever.

Here is the main difference I found. The FD wants to turn. If I Hyzerflip it like the river, it will flip to flat, but it will turn during the flight. Not a lot, but more than the river. That being said, it is still crazy accurate. If I throw it flat, powered down, I feel like I can hit any shot I need to. BUT, I will not say it is as accurate for a hyzerflip because it turns in the middle.

Aside from that, they are almost the same disc. But now you have a bigger choice in plastic type (if you prefer stamp to GL) , rim type, and availability. I will probably keep testing the FD but that is what I have come up with so far.

I agree with the FD doing better in a HEADWIND. In a tail wind, I will never stop throwing my river!
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 05-26-2012, 01:13 PM
onemilemore's Avatar
onemilemore onemilemore is offline
* Ace Member *
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Golden State
Years Playing: 8.5
Courses Played: 43
Throwing Style: LHBH
Posts: 6,399
Niced 217 Times in 94 Posts
Default

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I am facing the FD/River dilemma in deciding to sell the FD or not.

I love the easy extra distance the River gets me, but the FD does seem to handle power and shape lines a little better. That being said, I pair the River with the Teebird, and I have most shots covered.

Does anyone know if there is a schedule for different plastics for the FD? The hope of finding a production P-FD is what is making me keep it off the Marketplace. Thanks.
Reply With Quote
 

  #20  
Old 05-26-2012, 03:55 PM
Timko's Avatar
Timko Timko is offline
Birdie Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Kansas City
Years Playing: 16.5
Courses Played: 53
Throwing Style: RHBH
Posts: 446
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I emailed Mark at Disc Golf Values looking for P FDs. He hasn't responded yet.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fairway Driver: Discmania Jackal vs Latitude 64 River bigeman101 Discs 8 03-24-2013 10:15 PM
FD JACKAL New013 The Marketplace 2 07-17-2012 12:00 PM
Jackal or River HyzerBomb7 Discs 11 07-15-2012 05:40 PM
Jackal prejenkinsdesroyer3 The Marketplace 4 07-02-2012 04:43 PM
Jackal FD 7ontheline The Marketplace 0 01-23-2012 10:49 PM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:18 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.