Old 03-28-2017, 09:51 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Courses Played: 30
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 177 Times in 117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFL View Post
Welcome to the plains. Did you have any putts where the wind laughed and threw them back at you?
It was a real learning experience for sure. I've seen strong winds, but not strong plains winds. I always practice when the wind is high here now, and always out in a field. Had some good 30-40mph days here this winter.

It was pretty funny when I asked the locals what they would rate the wind when I was there from 1 to 10 and they said about a 2
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-28-2017, 09:54 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 108 Times in 85 Posts

If it's windy enough where a firebird flips into a headwind, it's time to put up the discs...
I feel like 40 MPH is getting awful close to that level...
I can't imagine putting into that kinda wind. That would mean the disc had an airspeed of over 50 mph when it was released, probably closer to 60, depending on how hard you putt...
Old 03-28-2017, 09:57 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.2
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 177 Times in 117 Posts

You don't make many putts even at 10' but it's a very good training tool. I learned a lot
Old 03-28-2017, 10:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 16
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

that's when you putt with a stego. :3
Old 03-29-2017, 08:53 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 34.1
Niced 116 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc349 View Post
You don't make many putts even at 10' but it's a very good training tool. I learned a lot
Turn the putter upside down.

Seriously.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-29-2017, 10:51 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 21.2
Courses Played: 24
Niced 84 Times in 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAFL View Post
Turn the putter upside down.

Seriously.
Upside down, nose down, aim low. The one time it's better to miss low than high.
Old 04-01-2017, 12:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 16
Niced 154 Times in 107 Posts

Alright.

I had a shootout today between this, a couple pd and a flat molf. And I'm slightly irritated and confused.

The volt is a weird disc. I don't think it has as much hss or lss as a pd. I think it has a bit more hss than an olf, but not as much lss.

But I have a feeling that the damn things are so flat when they're thrown into a head or crosswind, they hold the line better than either of those two discs.

Here's what I mean. I did some field work in calm conditions. I can throw a current run s or c or even g pd on a flex line and know it will easily flex out hard for me. If I throw it flat, isn't going that far. Not even 360'. I can do the same with an olf. It Will hold the turn longer and then flex at the end hard, and a flat rip will carry a bit farther before fading. The volt doesn't flex as much as these two, and it holds straight longer before fading. The fade is not what I'd consider an overstable to finish, per se.

But when it's thrown into the wind, its behavior seems less affected than the other two discs. I wanted to put the pd back in the bag today. After parking some holes with them today, I was confident it would go right back in place of my olfs again. And instead I'm going to keep my volts.

Congrats, mvp.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 190
Niced 1,589 Times in 919 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kodachrome View Post
Alright.

I had a shootout today between this, a couple pd and a flat molf. And I'm slightly irritated and confused.

The volt is a weird disc. I don't think it has as much hss or lss as a pd. I think it has a bit more hss than an olf, but not as much lss.

But I have a feeling that the damn things are so flat when they're thrown into a head or crosswind, they hold the line better than either of those two discs.

Here's what I mean. I did some field work in calm conditions. I can throw a current run s or c or even g pd on a flex line and know it will easily flex out hard for me. If I throw it flat, isn't going that far. Not even 360'. I can do the same with an olf. It Will hold the turn longer and then flex at the end hard, and a flat rip will carry a bit farther before fading. The volt doesn't flex as much as these two, and it holds straight longer before fading. The fade is not what I'd consider an overstable to finish, per se.

But when it's thrown into the wind, its behavior seems less affected than the other two discs. I wanted to put the pd back in the bag today. After parking some holes with them today, I was confident it would go right back in place of my olfs again. And instead I'm going to keep my volts.

Congrats, mvp.
Not believing this until you update the sig.
Old 04-01-2017, 01:17 AM
Free at Last

Years Playing: 8.3
Courses Played: 1
Niced 1,111 Times in 565 Posts

It took MVP something like 2 years to make the Volt. It was their first wider rim. The flagship driver. And, IMHO, second only to the Ion in overall versatility and importance to the brand.

So yea, it's a decent disc.

(Can't wait for them to release the Electron Volt in general production)

Old 04-01-2017, 07:46 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 108 Times in 85 Posts

@kodachrome the main thing I see that's different between MVP discs and others is the HSS when juiced up, like way way up even into a headwind. If the mold allows it, they will turn at lower speeds (examples include a beat to a living pulp volt, crave, etc.), say out to about 320. However, when thrown into a headwind, where say a PD worn into the same stability as a beat volt is thrown side by side, the volt's HSS is darn near identical to when it was thrown 320, and the PD has a lot more wiggle. I have absolute confidence bombing my Octane into a headwind, it's weird but I do it all the time. For me that's where the whole Gyro thing really shines.