Old 09-01-2019, 03:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,442 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptronius View Post
You would get weird things at first when there are missing connections but I would think that would go away pretty quickly as connections are made. .
.which is more or less the same thing that happens with the current system. As more reviews of a course are done, the biases tend to average themselves out.

Too much work for too little return.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2019, 10:13 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 36.5
Courses Played: 248
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,708 Times in 742 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
.which is more or less the same thing that happens with the current system. As more reviews of a course are done, the biases tend to average themselves out.

Too much work for too little return.
Agree. Simply.....it ain't broke.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-01-2019, 11:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.5
Courses Played: 313
Niced 2,230 Times in 1,105 Posts

There's simply no way for a single number or ranking system, to provide a feel of what it might be like to actually play the course. If you're looking for that, you're just fooling yourself.

Not all of us enjoy the same types of courses and features to the same degree. That's why good reviewers describe the courses attributes, so the reader can decide what to put an emphasis on for themselves.

It might even vary for a visiting players depending on how much time they've got in the area. If I know I'll be tight on time, I might choose to play a less interesting course that has great navigation and flow, over a "better" course with navigational issues.

If I have the time, I'll probably choose the latter. Which one I find to be more enjoyable may depend on criteria that can vary from one visit to another. The current system allows me, as a reviewer, and you as a reader to be more objective than an ordinal system.

Old 09-02-2019, 12:43 AM

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
For places that get lots of reviews, sure. But there are lots of courses on here with three, four, five reviews that are overrated because one or two folks who had some hand in building it or are excited about their new local course gave it 4 stars when it's really a 1 or 2.

Also, if people tend to apply the full scale to the courses close to them (no idea to what degree this actually happens, but certainly to some degree) this would tend to flatten things out region to region. This could be a good thing I suppose since most people aren't lucky enough to wander the country playing disc golf and just want to know what the best courses are near them.

Just an idea and fun to think about. Not important issues by any measure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscGolfCraig View Post
First post and it's beating a dead horse. Wish someone had told you to save your energy before writing all this.
did I touch a nerve or something?
Old 09-02-2019, 01:28 AM

Niced 5 Times in 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
There's simply no way for a single number or ranking system, to provide a feel of what it might be like to actually play the course. If you're looking for that, you're just fooling yourself.

Not all of us enjoy the same types of courses and features to the same degree. That's why good reviewers describe the courses attributes, so the reader can decide what to put an emphasis on for themselves.

It might even vary for a visiting players depending on how much time they've got in the area. If I know I'll be tight on time, I might choose to play a less interesting course that has great navigation and flow, over a "better" course with navigational issues.

If I have the time, I'll probably choose the latter. Which one I find to be more enjoyable may depend on criteria that can vary from one visit to another. The current system allows me, as a reviewer, and you as a reader to be more objective than an ordinal system.
Oh, for sure. I read the reviews to make calls on where I want to go (and hell sometimes when I get bored I read reviews of courses I'll probably never play) and I'm very aware people have different criteria. Mine sure seem to be different than most. But I *do* sometimes when taking a road trip somewhere, and hope to hit a course on the way, have the map show me all the courses on the way above say, 2.5 discs, and I've just noticed it seems like you get a lot of clear anomalies and bunching in the 2.5 to 3.5 range. Just throwing out an idea that might help with that.
Old 09-02-2019, 01:48 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 730 Times in 256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Agree. Simply.....it ain't broke.
Or perhaps more appropriately, it works well enough. It has flaws, but so do all these alternatives that we've proposed over the years.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:02 AM
Resident Grouch

Years Playing: 16.4
Courses Played: 360
Niced 730 Times in 256 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ptronius View Post
For places that get lots of reviews, sure. But there are lots of courses on here with three, four, five reviews that are overrated because one or two folks who had some hand in building it or are excited about their new local course gave it 4 stars when it's really a 1 or 2.

Also, if people tend to apply the full scale to the courses close to them (no idea to what degree this actually happens, but certainly to some degree) this would tend to flatten things out region to region. This could be a good thing I suppose since most people aren't lucky enough to wander the country playing disc golf and just want to know what the best courses are near them.

Just an idea and fun to think about. Not important issues by any measure.

did I touch a nerve or something?
No, you just made the same mistake that everyone else who wants to improve the review feature has made. This has been argued for more than a decade now.

You come up with this big intellectual idea that is a bit beyond most people's capacity to appreciate it. Most disc golfers like things simple, tactile and to the point. When the math stuff gets beyond the comprehension of a fourth grader a great deal of them zone out.

Old 09-02-2019, 02:56 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 95
Niced 325 Times in 164 Posts

How about just changing the top ten to a "hot ten," only counting reviews in the last 6 months or a year (with a minimum number of reviews) and have the overall top courses ranked on a different tab? It would be nice to see more highly rated courses appearing on the front page.

Old 09-02-2019, 04:28 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 15.6
Courses Played: 413
Niced 71 Times in 44 Posts

I kind of like the OPs original thought of a TR top 10 or even 25. Again the issue would be how to differentiate TRs to drive bys and whatnot. But just having a button to click to look at that criteria I feel would be interesting. But like many others have said before, If it ain't broke...One other thought would be that if you write a review you need to fill out all 3 sections. Pros, cons AND other thoughts. I know it's 3 whole sections. But when your pros section says "awesome coarse, I got a 2 on hole 6" and cons says "none, Well some dude yelled at me for throwing my beer can on the ground". At least write SOMETHING in the other thoughts. I mean tell me you seen a bunch of toads out there. If you can't write 1 additional sentence on other thoughts should it really factor into ratings. And also please use the correct version of "course".

Old 09-02-2019, 07:25 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.4
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,442 Times in 1,506 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doofenshmirtz View Post
How about just changing the top ten to a "hot ten," only counting reviews in the last 6 months or a year (with a minimum number of reviews) and have the overall top courses ranked on a different tab? It would be nice to see more highly rated courses appearing on the front page.
The site does that, once a year. A Top-25 for courses, based on reviews in that calendar year.

It's interesting, though you see mostly the same names, shuffled around a bit. You don't see 4.6-rated courses coming out with a 3.3, or vice versa.

I've advocated (dreamed of) a feature where users can parse the reviews with whatever options they want, and create customized Top-10 lists. I gather it's more work than I imagine.