Old 09-28-2016, 08:33 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts
Default The SW22 Swim Move

Our boy SW22 dropped a little nugget on somebody about the off arm (paraphrasing): off arm comes in with the disc after the heel-down portion and makes a swimming paddle motion.

I've brought the off arm in before, but it was just to keep it tighter to the body (and then I still often forget and let it get wide)... but when he said "swimming stroke" or whatever it clicked differently for me physically. Instead of just leaving my off arm relatively limp or whatever, it comes across.

I think that motion of bringing the off arm forward made me also load a bit more directly forward and then there's also a bunch more leverage available.

I had a one tremendous shot yesterday that was unmeasured but it was very likely the longest I've thrown by a substantial margin.

Potential issues that I would see with it - and was addressing via video review:

1. I wasn't getting my shoulders squared up in the backswing because I was telegraphing the arm move forward. Fix: duh, square the shoulders up! Relatively easy fix once I caught it.

2. My backswing got tighter and came off the swing plane. Fix: loose backswing, loooooose and low so that as the disc came forward it stayed flat. This one is a bit harder to fix, because you will be tightening up the swimming arm, and need to keep everything else loose and timed right.

The only other way I can describe it is that the off arm is going to reach forward and in order to get a swim stroke, you have drive the weight properly off the back foot to be able to swim. It could be that the byproduct of trying to do this move is that I'm improving my weight transfer direction?

Lastly, my accuracy went off a bit - but there was no doubt that leverage is something real.

Just something to mess with.
Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2016, 03:39 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.3
Courses Played: 26
Niced 34 Times in 19 Posts

I've been focusing on this for a few weeks myself, as if became pretty evident from watching the Beast in slow motion that bringing the off arm in is very important part of the throw. The more I can compact the shoulders allows for much better explosion and it also helps me get the throwing elbow extended more comfortably. I was able to reach an uphill hole I'm always 30 feet short on by working on this. Tucking the off arm bicep under the disc in the pull through is a weird feeling at first.. but its a necessary change. I think doing this kinda helps keep the head in line with the plant foot more instead of looking down more, relying on the off arm to bring the head up.. certainly makes for an smoother follow through.
Old 09-30-2016, 03:42 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.3
Courses Played: 2
Niced 6 Times in 5 Posts

I noticed this off arm motion on the famous four drives video. I always thought it looked more like the classic "disco move" where the guy points at the ground them at the sky, though in DG you'd only point at the ground. I don't use it consistently, but it seems like a good way to both bring the arm in and load the shoulders for cleaner, more powerful totation.

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums...1&d=1475260859
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2016-09-30-11-39-17--1216649769.jpg (6.8 KB, 99 views)
Old 09-30-2016, 05:14 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 26
Niced 16 Times in 7 Posts

Is this the part you are talking about? Where the left arm swings in as the right heel is coming down? I never noticed that before. Definitely going to play around with the "off" arm next time I'm in the field.

Thanks for sharing! Hope you don't mind the GIF...I kept trying to loop that part in the YouTube video.

Niced: (2)
Old 09-30-2016, 06:54 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,822 Times in 1,732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didn'tSeeThatTree View Post
Is this the part you are talking about? Where the left arm swings in as the right heel is coming down? I never noticed that before. Definitely going to play around with the "off" arm next time I'm in the field.
Yep, it's shifting the weight forward into the brace providing leverage.

Niced: (1)
Old 09-30-2016, 08:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 24
Niced 497 Times in 287 Posts

That gif is tremendous and SW22 sums up succinctly I have been too late with this and thinking about it wrong.
He brings it is so early and it is part of forward weight transfer.

Thanks for the ah hah
Old 09-30-2016, 09:33 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 9
Niced 96 Times in 63 Posts

Thank you for highlighting this. Ive noticed that before and hadnt seen anyone bring it up. Ive been having placement issues with my back arm lately and think this is my missing link. Excellent .gif btw!
Old 09-30-2016, 10:00 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.5
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,098 Times in 739 Posts

I almost drowned trying this ****.

Niced: (2)
Old 10-03-2016, 07:21 PM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 33
Niced 491 Times in 191 Posts

I tried to screen cap the swim move here... but imgur has stopped working for me. Once I noticed it, I see it much more clearly now in a number of big arm throwers. BTW, somebody needs to step in and discuss that pony tail.

Old 10-03-2016, 07:56 PM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,593 Times in 1,648 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
BTW, somebody needs to step in and discuss that pony tail.
Counterweight for leverage, and it stays in close for faster rotation like a figure skater.