Old 10-15-2019, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 46
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 4,189 Times in 1,754 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
But this is what people don’t understand about Simon. I have a pretty easy time choosing a shot, but Simon’s options include literally hundreds of options that straight up don’t even exist to anyone else. If you could throw a putter 500’ and rip a sky anny that utilizes the gravity field of the moon you might throw some shots that seem strange to others too haha
Does Simon have more options...sure. But he also tried throwing an anny upshot with what looked like an MD5 and it faded out early leaving him a longer than necessary putt (can't remember if he made it). Throw a P2, throw an MD. It's not hard.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2019, 10:16 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 83
Niced 157 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
In both rounds (on film) his teeshot was out of position. The first round he was saved by a lucky second tree that knocked him back to the edge of the fairway. He birdied the second round because he threw a great scramble shot and nailed a long putt. We are going to have to agree to disagree here. I saw he birdied the hole in the 3rd round...I wonder if he also went roller, but I doubt it.
It's a calculated risk for Simon. He birdied it 2/3 rounds because he has the power to birdie from odd spots on Hole 1. I've also seen him throw that roller in a tournament and get to c2. I think he's the only player in the field with a chance to eagle the hole (other than by a long throwin).

Also, Calvin birdied it 2x in rounds 1-3, Adam birdied it 1x. He didn't lose any strokes to the leaders on that hole.
Old 10-15-2019, 10:17 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18.7
Courses Played: 140
Niced 396 Times in 177 Posts

I had somewhat of a similar thought the other day. I thought, "Simon must be the best thrower of the disc that isn't that great at disc golf."

DISCLAIMER: Simon is a "great" disc golfer on the spectrum of all who play, but he is not elite when compared to his peers: Paul, Ricky, Eagle, or even Sexton. That may be because he doesn't have the killer instinct or obsessive determination. I don't know him so I have no frame of reference to make that judgement.

From my perspective Simon is one of the last pros I'd want to play on a card with. As someone else mentioned, he sees lines that no one else does, but I can't imagine those shots always work out. And, I hate crawling around in the **** he tries to throw over to find a disc that could've been thrown straight, avoided all the trouble, and still be in scoring position.

Simon has the ability to execute some amazing shots, but (IMO) he has awful shot selection. One of the first PDGA magazines I got (circa 2005?) had an article about intelligent shot selection - it would do Simon well to look up that article...
Old 10-15-2019, 10:33 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwgort View Post
It's a calculated risk for Simon. He birdied it 2/3 rounds because he has the power to birdie from odd spots on Hole 1. I've also seen him throw that roller in a tournament and get to c2. I think he's the only player in the field with a chance to eagle the hole (other than by a long throwin).

Also, Calvin birdied it 2x in rounds 1-3, Adam birdied it 1x. He didn't lose any strokes to the leaders on that hole.
Simon doesn't strike me as a "risk calculator" kind of player.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-15-2019, 10:38 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.5
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,041 Times in 853 Posts

By the same logic shouldn't John Daly have been the best?

Niced: (1)
Old 10-15-2019, 10:41 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced: (2)
Old 10-15-2019, 10:46 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 12.6
Courses Played: 83
Niced 157 Times in 86 Posts

Quote:
Simon doesn't strike me as a "risk calculator" kind of player.
All of the top pros calculate risk before they throw a shot, that's kind of the point of the game. Is your position that Simon throws this shot for pure entertainment and not because he has a chance to get a lower score than anyone else in the field on the hole?
Old 10-15-2019, 11:13 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 559 Times in 297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skizzle34 View Post
From my understanding Simon is a man of many talents and IDK if disc golf gets his 100% focus unfortunately. I have heard he talks about moving on and playing things like darts professionally as well. I think he genuinely plays to have fun even if it gets in the way of his success from time to time. I actually think he will place better when he gets out of his "prime" and needs to work to shot well.
He would stand to make more money with darts...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/01/02/dart...00-richer.html
Old 10-15-2019, 12:08 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.6
Courses Played: 71
Niced 268 Times in 157 Posts

I think the title of this thread should be "Eagle- shouldnt he be the best?"

Eagle has a forehand no one else has and his backhand power is only matched by a few players (TripG,Simon,Gibson)
Also, Eagle is a better putter than all those guys.

Niced: (2)

Old 10-15-2019, 12:09 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 8
Niced 613 Times in 271 Posts

Quote:
Does Simon have more options...sure. But he also tried throwing an anny upshot with what looked like an MD5 and it faded out early leaving him a longer than necessary putt (can't remember if he made it). Throw a P2, throw an MD. It's not hard.

Look, Simon is clearly a superior being and these are his obvious attempts to remain under the radar in his human disguise. That shot is the disc golf version of Clark Kent’s glasses. It’s the only explanation!

Makes me wonder how far he can throw a dart tbh. Does he do trick shots? Is that a thing??