Birdie Member

Niced 349 Times in 135 Posts

Yes.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-10-2018, 09:42 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 36
Niced 50 Times in 35 Posts

I got into the habit of sort of punching my arm downward when I throw. Unfortunately, this lags a little bit outside the body (similar to how Sexton's trailing arm is out away from his side). I also noticed this drops my back shoulder a little bit and I think it affects my leading shoulder by bouncing it upward (equal and opposite?).

Reaching for the right belly, or right pocket, definitely gets it in a position that I was imagining when I started punching downward. A good example of how what you feel =/= what you're doing.

I'm trying to build new off-arm habits, but I'm so used to having it out of the way that it's tough to maintain good form in other places when I focus on reaching for that right side.
Old 10-10-2018, 10:16 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 349 Times in 135 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by drk_evns View Post
I got into the habit of sort of punching my arm downward when I throw. Unfortunately, this lags a little bit outside the body (similar to how Sexton's trailing arm is out away from his side). I also noticed this drops my back shoulder a little bit and I think it affects my leading shoulder by bouncing it upward (equal and opposite?).

Reaching for the right belly, or right pocket, definitely gets it in a position that I was imagining when I started punching downward. A good example of how what you feel =/= what you're doing.

I'm trying to build new off-arm habits, but I'm so used to having it out of the way that it's tough to maintain good form in other places when I focus on reaching for that right side.
Just bend your left elbow and lay it across your belly. No need to "reach" really.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:36 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 173 Times in 123 Posts

I know we've been discussing the rear arm quite a bit. Big thing we hit (and I'm finally starting to get this) is keeping the off arm under control through the entire swing. The tendency to throw your rear arm behind you seems like the natural way to increase the reach back, but it kills balance and leverage. I think I got it from people saying Schustrick has perfect form. If you watch any top thrower, they have that rear arm completely under control through the entire swing. It's back then forward, with no hesitation. I especially like watching Calvin Heimberg's off arm. Also, Seppo keeps his incredibly neutral.

As for the shoulders, the inside swing drill really helped me understand the connection of your shoulders to your hips https://youtu.be/FWasFdvnGio?t=367. I like to think shoulders sharing a single rail going directly towards and away from the target. In the back swing your lead shoulder is on the rail, and in the forward swing it's the rear shoulder fallowing through to the target. Pretty much exactly what SW was showing in his eagle eye picture.

Niced: (1)
Old 10-11-2018, 11:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,556 Times in 1,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyjacko View Post
I like to think shoulders sharing a single rail going directly towards and away from the target. In the back swing your lead shoulder is on the rail, and in the forward swing it's the rear shoulder fallowing through to the target. Pretty much exactly what SW was showing in his eagle eye picture.
This is what I've just been really thinking about, and I like this way you said it.

Backswing with front shoulder on rail keeps everything on line and clears the off arm/shoulder out of the way. Forward swing once the rear shoulder is on the rail keeps momentum targetward and clears the front shoulder around a longer pathway.

Niced: (1)

Old 10-11-2018, 08:12 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 5
Niced 173 Times in 123 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowplastic View Post
Backswing with front shoulder on rail keeps everything on line and clears the off arm/shoulder out of the way. Forward swing once the rear shoulder is on the rail keeps momentum targetward and clears the front shoulder around a longer pathway.
It also helps you stay narrow and upright and in a constant state of leverage.