Old 02-24-2019, 06:18 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.5
Courses Played: 60
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 271 Times in 175 Posts

I finally treated myself to one of those Champion Gazelles from the Innova Factory Store. Now I only have to wait for about 2 feet of snow to melt to try it out.
Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2019, 08:11 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 835 Times in 401 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeypaws View Post
I finally treated myself to one of those Champion Gazelles from the Innova Factory Store. Now I only have to wait for about 2 feet of snow to melt to try it out.

I got some of the Factory Store Gazelles this past fall, and have been bagging a Champion and GStar for some rounds.

The Champion started out fairly high speed stable when new, and was a reliable hyzer disc that I used for a particular hole where the disc needed to have zero high speed turn, followed by a moderate fade. I say "was" because after about 5 rounds, it began to flip up and sometimes ride right a bit on my rhbh throw. I now use it for straight shots only. No more reliable hyzers.

I was hoping the Champion Gazelle would be a Kastaplast Kaxe clone, but with more glide. It has more dome than a Kaxe, thus more glide, but a Kaxe has more overstability even if it is a bit slower and shorter than a Gazelle. I consider the two molds to be different enough that both could be bagged for different type shots.

The GStars that I have are all pretty flat, and appear to have higher parting lines than the Champions. But, the GStar Gazelle that I am bagging is a straight to turnover disc for me. It probably has a bit less glide than the Champion version, but I am now using it in place of a Leopard for woodsy anhyzer shots, around 300 ft.

I have tried one of the Factory Store's Star Gazelles also. It has lots of dome, and feels kind of slow and clunky to me. I'll give it another go this spring, but I liked it less than the Champion and GStars so far.

Niced: (1)
Old 04-07-2019, 11:48 PM
Par Member

Courses Played: 3
Niced 73 Times in 57 Posts

Just got a max weight champion. It is the overstable Gazelle. Brilliant blue color, and opaque for Champion plastic.
Instantly kicked out the Eagle from my bag for the season.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:31 AM

Years Playing: 13.5
Courses Played: 27
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 45 Times in 20 Posts
Default Still available on the factory store

I stocked up on a few of those as well. Throwing these new champ gazelles along side my old flat 10x KC pro champ, the new ones seem slightly more overstable. The stamp is beautiful on these new champs.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg EDFC44B3-ED7F-422E-A8BE-5F522578F6CB.jpg (92.9 KB, 72 views)

Old 04-08-2019, 10:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 16
Niced 155 Times in 107 Posts

Hell yeah. Those new ones are byoooooteeful.

Old 04-08-2019, 11:00 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 77 Times in 60 Posts

I’ve never held a gazelle. How beefy are they?
I recently picked up a pro Leo, it flys an 0/2 type line. I find I’m using it like a fairway, those in between approach shots especially when I need a lower line, where my FDs and teebirds are more like drivers for me. I love the Leo, but it sounds like it’s not easy to find these stable ones. How would you guys compare gazelles to teebirds stability wise?
Are they pretty consistent?
Old 04-08-2019, 12:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 537 Times in 344 Posts

The champ glow (hint) gazelles that OBRB sent me are beefy as all get out, at least for the power I throw them with. They are going < 300 ft for me. Fly more like an OS mid I think.

I think stable leos are easy to find, just grab a max weight domey champ with the Barry 2x stamp.

I sought out a gazelle to try for the same reason, that I was throwing a lot of leos at the time and wanted a stable leo that was not a teebird. I found the GYRO slow fairways as a better option for this slot, the Servo in particular.

Old 04-08-2019, 12:52 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 7.7
Courses Played: 16
Niced 155 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yxebrew View Post
I’ve never held a gazelle. How beefy are they?
I recently picked up a pro Leo, it flys an 0/2 type line. I find I’m using it like a fairway, those in between approach shots especially when I need a lower line, where my FDs and teebirds are more like drivers for me. I love the Leo, but it sounds like it’s not easy to find these stable ones. How would you guys compare gazelles to teebirds stability wise?
Are they pretty consistent?
Champ gazelles throw like champ teebirds to start.

Cfr glo I've thrown haven't been as overstable as the champs, but are excellent straight to fade fairways on a flat and hard rip.

Star gazelles are domey but fly forever. They are my main drivers in the woods. Very neutral flights with a lot of HSS as long as there is no wind. Kinda like a max weight comet that way. Teeny tiny fade.

Gstar gazelles are weird, but awesome. They turn basically out of the box yet still have some fade. Really great line shapers.

Dx gazelles are great too. Good ones will start out flying like star gazelles.

This is how they behave for me, anyway. My guess is i could throw a gazelle about 360' max.

If you want a stable leo, i would think a champ leo would do fine. Never thrown one, myself. Only pro. Otherwise, sure, a gazelle would do. They can shape lines or hold them. They really do it all, imo, but a teebird is a teebird and a gazelle is a gazelle. The teebird is the more reliable and available disc.

Old 04-11-2019, 01:33 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.4
Courses Played: 64
Niced 41 Times in 23 Posts

Good to see Gazelles in the conversation again. I haven't been throwing any of mine for quite some time because I went from FH dominant to FH only and found that a Teebird just did the same thing and was far more replaceable than an 11x when I flicked it. But now that I'm working BH back into my game and the weather is heating up? Time to grab a stack of stock DX, a few old circle stamps, and a stack of 11x and go see what happens in the field!

Niced: (2)

Old 04-15-2019, 10:09 AM
Broad Street Bully

Years Playing: 8.7
Courses Played: 29
Niced 6 Times in 6 Posts

My 166g red finger printy 11x kc pro is still the best disc I've ever thrown.