Old 07-09-2013, 01:14 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 21
Courses Played: 76
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 181 Times in 113 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJB View Post
Yeah, it's a DGCR epidemic! But the funny thing is, on here, for every person who hates something or someone, theres another person who loves it. So it all kind of evens out in the end. No manufacturer is perfect, and most manufacturers have good, solid fanbases either way. Innova and to some extent Discraft, do tend to pick up 99 percent of begginers, but they just have more market penetration.

We are lucky to be in a sport that has such diversity in equipment for how small we really are.
Real talk
Old 07-09-2013, 01:28 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 22
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Why do I hate Innova? I don't, but I also don't throw their products. First and foremost, I'm a disc junkie and decided to focus on one company (MVP), with other lines to supplement as needed. I did that to help my game and my wallet. The most effective way to cut out a huge swathe of discs is to cut Innova all together.

Also, I didn't stop throwing Innova because discs just happened to mold up differently (Firebird, I'm looking at you), it's because it's simply unacceptable in my mind to knowingly churn out products with the wrong mold pieces on them. I loved PDs and Valks and it was a huge letdown to get a C-PD and three Valks, all with + rims and nothing to identify them as such. Also see Destrulcans, or any of the other dozens of discs on the list of mold irregularities (really, there is a big a** list somewhere on this site).

Besides the fact that a disc that has one mold piece wrong is 33% not the disc you wanted, the quality of their plastic (Blizzard esp) took a nose dive. It has recovered a lot in some areas; Man-birds are flat again and Jolly Launcher plastic is almost a match for Opto.

They remind me a bit of GM in the 70s-90s, who had such a huge market share that they apparently thought they could produce whatever piece of **** they wanted and people would still buy it. We all know how that turned out. And if GM can squander a 46% market share, I'm pretty sure that Innova is fully capable giving up a lot of ground to the Hondas and Toyotas of the disc golf world.
Old 07-09-2013, 01:39 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 11.8
Courses Played: 22
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

p.s. I can hear your responses now. But consider this:

When MVP put out the FR Shock and it ended up flippy, how did they respond? They immediately took the customer feedback, tweaked the disc a bit, and now it's another gem. What they didn't do is put out a Shock with an Amp mold piece on it and then get all dodgy and defensive when they're called on it.

I'm not just a MVP fanboy, "better quality control than Innova" is a distinction that lots of companies share.

Being a large company is not an excuse for poor quality control. If anything, they should be able to use scale to make more efficient processes, invest in better equipment, train people better, and pull from a larger sample size when doing quality control (which should reduce the relative number of discs that would need to be inspected vs a smaller company)
Old 07-09-2013, 01:55 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 16.1
Courses Played: 46
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

MVP is ran by a couple ambitious young men, Innova is ran by men who were once young and ambitious. My grade school teachers had it figured out, A's for effort.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:09 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 178
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

yall better recognize. nothin but the best. innova for life.
Old 07-09-2013, 02:16 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 40
Niced 9 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by New013 View Post
people hate on innova because they've bought in to all these new trendy companies on promises of consistency and continued quality. then when they get there and they've invested so much time and money in to these trendy new discs they realize they're in the exact same boat they were in before when they had innova discs.

... so they hate, because they've got to blame somebody for their own problems.
Lat comes to mind here.
We they started they made almost all overstable discs geared towards competitive players with promises of super consistancy.
Now they make floaty, flippy stuff geared towards eye shoppers while simply giving up on the consistancy thing.....none of which i blame them for.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:32 AM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 256
Niced 61 Times in 30 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Depth View Post
MVP is honestly where it's at. You will be in love soon
creambun god, in a few weeks you will have moved onto the next fad, but Innova will still be there.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:20 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.1
Courses Played: 69
Niced 95 Times in 65 Posts

Why all the Innova defensiveness, more like.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:58 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 179
Niced 69 Times in 18 Posts

^^^well played