Old 12-02-2019, 09:12 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 265 Times in 152 Posts

I love the sol. A low flick hyzerflip is so easy with this disc and it carries well. Holds a decent really low speed anny line and like you said, you can get a decent slow turnover when thrown flat. Super easy to throw. I only have the AR versions though
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2019, 10:01 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 216
Niced 373 Times in 189 Posts

I also throw and really enjoy the ace race version of the SOL. The production run came out a bit domey and more stable. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer the flat feel and the grip of the soft ESP plastic in the ace race.
Old 12-02-2019, 10:35 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,280 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
I also throw and really enjoy the ace race version of the SOL. The production run came out a bit domey and more stable. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I prefer the flat feel and the grip of the soft ESP plastic in the ace race.
Hmmm. I have four ace race ESP Sols and three production Z Sols, all of my Z's are noticeably less stable for me than the ESP's. I use them for low-speed turnover approach touch shots, and the ESP's for me fight out of the turn a bit where the Z's just turn over and glide. When I mess up a shot with the ESP Sol it's generally a shot I just didn't get over; when I mess up with the Z it's usually a shot I blow past the basket by 50'.

Results may vary...
Old 12-02-2019, 10:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 216
Niced 373 Times in 189 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Hmmm. I have four ace race ESP Sols and three production Z Sols, all of my Z's are noticeably less stable for me than the ESP's. I use them for low-speed turnover approach touch shots, and the ESP's for me fight out of the turn a bit where the Z's just turn over and glide. When I mess up a shot with the ESP Sol it's generally a shot I just didn't get over; when I mess up with the Z it's usually a shot I blow past the basket by 50'.

Results may vary...
That is strange indeed. Every single ace race ESP Sol I've thrown has been very understable. They're more touch discs than anything else. At full power I really have to exaggerate the hyzer and nose angles to keep them from turning and burning. Every Z Sol I've thrown I've been able to throw full power and not worry about it turning/burning like ESP.
Old 12-02-2019, 11:01 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.4
Courses Played: 136
Niced 3,280 Times in 1,177 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by notroman View Post
That is strange indeed. Every single ace race ESP Sol I've thrown has been very understable. They're more touch discs than anything else. At full power I really have to exaggerate the hyzer and nose angles to keep them from turning and burning. Every Z Sol I've thrown I've been able to throw full power and not worry about it turning/burning like ESP.
I almost never throw one at full power. At full power they are both quite flippy/unpredictable for me and I'll throw a beat Roc or something like that if I'm that far out. I'm really just using it as a touch turnover disc throwing low-speed approach shots with it.

The only time I would have been trying to throw it full power would have been at the Ace Race, which I have absolutely no memory of.
Old 12-11-2019, 04:14 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 3
Niced 179 Times in 91 Posts

I was on Paige Pierce's chat line and told her my age and playing experience and slower arm speed and she immediately told me to try the Sol. I ordered 2 Z first run discs and just had time to throw it a few times today, I like it! Temperatures are supposed to be up in the 40's tomorrow and I'm looking forward to playing alot more with it.

Niced: (1)
Old 12-20-2019, 07:17 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 32
Niced 719 Times in 436 Posts

Is the Sol not a good disc off the tee? Is it too US to put an X-step into?

I keep bouncing back & forth between Comets & Meteors. I'm willing to give one a try if they can be thrown off the tee for hyzer flips in the woods without it turn & burning.
Old 12-20-2019, 09:49 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.9
Courses Played: 3
Niced 179 Times in 91 Posts

I'm an older guy with lower arm speed that drives from standing position. The Sol could probably be easily over powered with a stronger arm.
Old 12-20-2019, 11:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 32
Niced 719 Times in 436 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wproct View Post
I'm an older guy with lower arm speed that drives from standing position. The Sol could probably be easily over powered with a stronger arm.
I love how the Meteor feels in my hand but for me it has a speed requirement that throws me off sometimes. I can finesse my Comets really well but compared to a Meteor they feel so awkward.

Guess I was wondering if the Sol has that Comet speed/flight but with a more comfortable feel.

Old 12-21-2019, 12:34 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 7.1
Courses Played: 31
Niced 66 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stable View Post
Is the Sol not a good disc off the tee? Is it too US to put an X-step into?

I keep bouncing back & forth between Comets & Meteors. I'm willing to give one a try if they can be thrown off the tee for hyzer flips in the woods without it turn & burning.
I X-step using a Z Sol, though I am not the most powerful thrower. Thrown flat I will get a straight flight for 250' followed by a turning phase for 50-70' and ending with a flat landing.
With a touch of anhyzer and some height I will get a big right arch for 320' with a gliding landing.
Hyzer-flips I haven't used to many times, but when l have it flattens out, turns a touch and fades a touch at the end. About 280-300'. 20' less than a good Comet throw for me.

For me it is easier than a Comet and more controllable than a Meteor. You just have to be fine with the smaller diameter.

Niced: (1)