Old 02-15-2020, 11:02 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,346 Times in 751 Posts

I have friends who dislike each other and will occasionally hear something like "I can't believe you're playing with that POS. You know he did X,Y, & Z" When possible, I try to be present in the moment. If someone has done something, but are not currently doing it in my presence, I can only go by our interactions. I refuse to hate someone just because other people want me to. There are plenty of people out there that I don't like playing with because I don't enjoy their company. There are some folks out there who have a shady past that I don't mind playing with because in the space of 18 holes, I enjoy their company. Doesn't mean we'll go hang out after the round though.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 02-15-2020, 11:27 AM

Niced 84 Times in 23 Posts

I would play with a Felon, Convict, Assassin, and really any Criminal/Outlaw you could find. I guess not a Thief though.. too flippy.

Old 02-15-2020, 02:06 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 727 Times in 270 Posts

On a serious note, I take my young kids to the course fairly frequently. If I knew that one of the regulars was a pedo I’d almost certainly turn around if they were there and I had a kid with. Anything else it would depend on the nature of the heinous act...
Old 02-15-2020, 06:11 PM

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 63
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 14 Times in 5 Posts

ja, u gotta b careful with all those wierdos out amongst us. I met a guy one time trying to get a disc out of a bog and he told me he had been there yesterday and almost sank up to his pubes. I couldn't get out of there fast enough.
Old 02-15-2020, 10:02 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 5.1
Courses Played: 54
Niced 481 Times in 165 Posts

No way Josι.
1. There is a much higher prevalence of psychopaths among convicted violent offenders than in the general population.
2. The best predictor of future behavior is past behavior.
3. Psychopaths are generally not “cured”. There’s not a drug for it, and often therapy does nothing but train them to be more cunning and hide their real nature.

The theory that a person has paid their debt to society is irrelevant in a system where rehabilitation is not guaranteed before someone is released. So no, I’m not spending a few hours alone in the woods with some nut who might fancy me as his next project. Give me the annoying a-hole with the foot faults, bad taste in music or whatever.

Old 02-15-2020, 10:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,346 Times in 751 Posts

I don't trust stoners (or anyone for that matter) who like Pearl Jam to the point of using their imagery for self gain. Definitely won't let my kids anywhere near those degenerates, especially when there are so many better bands out there.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-16-2020, 06:21 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25
Courses Played: 94
Niced 2,534 Times in 1,022 Posts

We have been through both the restraining order issue (restrainee had to leave) and the out of jail sex offender issue (you're stuck with him- deal with it) semi-locally. As much as I would like the latter guy to simply go away he does not have the grace to do so.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:17 AM

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

How is this even a thread? I'm a paramedic and have seen criminals do terrible things to people and children, things that most of you could not imagine, things that a horror movie would close its eyes to. This appalls me from the disc golf community on here. I play to escape what I see at work and to think Id have to play with someone that was pedo, murderer, or rapist. Maybe I am over reacting due to a current event that just happened here, but this just makes me sick.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:29 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 372 Times in 227 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic5888 View Post
How is this even a thread? I'm a paramedic and have seen criminals do terrible things to people and children, things that most of you could not imagine, things that a horror movie would close its eyes to. This appalls me from the disc golf community on here. I play to escape what I see at work and to think Id have to play with someone that was pedo, murderer, or rapist. Maybe I am over reacting due to a current event that just happened here, but this just makes me sick.
the reality is you're sharing your world with them all the time. i currently have 162 registered sex offenders living within 1 mile of my address. and honestly, I live in a town with a low crime rate.

Old 02-16-2020, 08:29 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic5888 View Post
Playing disc golf with such a person does not involve you in the details of their crime. You are dealing with pedophiles and rapists constantly; at work, at the store, in this forum, at the disc golf course.