* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by medic5888 View Post
How is this even a thread? I'm a paramedic and have seen criminals do terrible things to people and children, things that most of you could not imagine, things that a horror movie would close its eyes to. This appalls me from the disc golf community on here. I play to escape what I see at work and to think Id have to play with someone that was pedo, murderer, or rapist. Maybe I am over reacting due to a current event that just happened here, but this just makes me sick.
It amazes me how some people can just look over the fact some adult forcibly held down a child while penetrating them with their sex organ over and over and over....and over and over.

Think about that, picture that next time you think it's no big deal or "they did their time" attitude comes up.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 02-16-2020, 09:31 AM

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
Playing disc golf with such a person does not involve you in the details of their crime. You are dealing with pedophiles and rapists constantly; at work, at the store, in this forum, at the disc golf course.
So you're comfortable playing with someone that has raped someone? WTF man. I have a choice and if I know they are a terrible person I don't have to play with them. Also I would make it know of the terrible things they did. I have the right to know what they have done so it does involve the details of their crime.
Old 02-16-2020, 10:34 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,346 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
So you're comfortable playing with someone that has raped someone? WTF man. I have a choice and if I know they are a terrible person I don't have to play with them. Also I would make it know of the terrible things they did. I have the right to know what they have done so it does involve the details of their crime.
If you have a right to know what people have done, does that mean you pass out questionnaires to cardmates before playing a round?
Old 02-16-2020, 11:05 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 16
Courses Played: 330
Niced 3,519 Times in 1,613 Posts

Genuine appreciate everyone sharing their thoughts, feelings, and even experiences,and keeping things civil and on topic.

As has been said, we may interact with some of these offenders any given day without knowing it. Most of us don't go into a situation think we're gonna be spending time with an unsavory type. Human nature is to treat people with civility.

But it's different when you know.
Again not passing judgement. Just interesting to hear different takes and perspectives.
Old 02-16-2020, 06:30 PM

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 20
Niced 7 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hampstead View Post
If you have a right to know what people have done, does that mean you pass out questionnaires to cardmates before playing a round?
I just don't understand why some many people are ok with criminals. I know todays popular belief is anti police, anti everything basically. Well I get it I am a metalhead and public safety member playing a hippie sport. I'm not ok playing with a murderer, a rapist, ect the very thing I try to combat everyday. Sorry I'm not so forgiving maybe come work the front lines with me and your opinion would change. LIVES DESTROYED witnessed first hand for 16 years. So if you're ok with it that's fine until it happens to you.

Niced: (1)
Old 02-16-2020, 06:48 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
You haven't got any rights. You have no way of knowing who is or isn't a terrible person. You have no way of knowing what a person has done, even if they are a convict.

How are we to treat rapists? I would find the loss of their reproductive parts to be fair. Moreover I would find their execution to be fair. Neither of these will be societally sanctioned, and I doubt I could maintain any level of liberty if I tried to enforce these standards myself. So how are we to treat them? What will do the most good ? It isn't an easy question to answer. As I said, in my recreational life I will not spend time with anyone whose values I oppose. A disc golf tournament is, for me, an act of science. I don't fault anyone who is repulsed by a criminal's behavior, and who chooses to refuse their company. I on the other hand not only accept but sometimes seek out contact with disgusting people as a means to work toward understanding. The search for understanding is my alternative to despair and violence.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armus Patheticus View Post
You haven't got any rights. You have no way of knowing who is or isn't a terrible person. You have no way of knowing what a person has done, even if they are a convict.
I don't understand why you posted this knowing it's not true.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:07 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 143 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
I don't understand why you posted this knowing it's not true.
I'm sorry Jay, I'm honestly not sure what you're getting at. My point is that a criminal conviction can never tell the full story of anyone's actions and that many many terrible people are never suspected, caught, or convicted.
Old 02-16-2020, 07:27 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 29
Niced 177 Times in 88 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
If I had to make a choice between Dahmer and a child molester, I'd play a round with Dahmer.

Child molesters are the lowest in my book and I don't care how anyone views that. I would yell at the top of my lungs if I find out someone is a molester and people around did not know.
I completely agree. Diddling kids or anything of the sort is unforgivable. Those people should be given to science to be used to help better society. Experiment on them. Try to give them cancer. Try to then cure that cancer. Anything goes.

Niced: (2)

Old 02-16-2020, 07:39 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 30.1
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,346 Times in 751 Posts

Quote:
I just don't understand why some many people are ok with criminals. I know todays popular belief is anti police, anti everything basically. Well I get it I am a metalhead and public safety member playing a hippie sport. I'm not ok playing with a murderer, a rapist, ect the very thing I try to combat everyday. Sorry I'm not so forgiving maybe come work the front lines with me and your opinion would change. LIVES DESTROYED witnessed first hand for 16 years. So if you're ok with it that's fine until it happens to you.
Spare me the sermon, please and thanks. You are hardly the only one who has experienced the dark side of life. A friend of mine was beaten to death by another friend and was featured on America's Most Wanted. Talk about LIVES DESTROYED. So what? Nobody here cares. My point was that unless you pass out questionnaires to your card mates, you could be playing with someone who has done what you mentioned and not know it. Do you interrogate all unknown disc golfers first? I'm hardly excusing anyone's bad behavior, but unless it is a well known case, you might never know. Maybe you should stick to solo rounds, just to be safe.