Old 02-24-2020, 08:14 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 159
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 467 Times in 204 Posts

How many more putters do you need? The answer I tell my wife every time she asks this is always the same. "Just one more"
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 02-24-2020, 08:55 AM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 5.8
Courses Played: 3
Niced 179 Times in 91 Posts

First off, what you are going through is totally normal. I think most everyone has gone through the same process. I haven't counted recently, but I know that I have over 40 putters, and not many exact duplicates. For me it's mainly about feel. I like a firm, hard plastic putter, and not a huge amount of grip. The one that I bag for in the circle putting most of the time is my Zero Hard Dagger, but I have two or three other molds that I can switch in very easily. I agree with others in this thread that one of the main things you can do is to have your own basket, and if you live in an area like I do, Iowa, having a basket indoors where you can use it year round is a huge plus.

Putting practice at times can become so boring and routine that I just need to use different discs to shake things up a bit.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:37 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 1.7
Courses Played: 17
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 94 Times in 50 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tallenAZ View Post
I appreciate the advice. I actually do have a putter and try to put whenever I walk by and when I have time Ill set aside time to put 100+ times. Setting up right for the put seems tricky as putting seems like the one thing that is dealers choice.

The frustrating part of my previous post is seeing if fade left in front of the chains. I usually dont miss short in my range 20ft or so. At 30 ft is where I feel real uncomfortable and doubt Ill make it. Ive heard putting is mental but its hard to overcome seeing yourself attempt a historically low percentage putt.
My putting sucked until I bought 3 similar discs - 2 Wardens and an Aviar. As I was practicing, I started making putts I previously had no business making. I stopped practicing and I don't make those anymore.

If I'm smart...which doesn't always happen...I anny my disc a little to counter the left fade.
Old 02-24-2020, 10:12 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4
Courses Played: 7
Niced 778 Times in 420 Posts

26 more ought to do ya

Niced: (1)
Old 02-24-2020, 10:59 AM
bertha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolt View Post
Its easy to say "just find one you like an stick with it" . . but in reality it SOO easy to think "damn i suck at putting today, i better try another putter, that will help"

But you can give Paul o Ricky any putter on the market and they will do just fine. . Its Paul and Ricky that are THAT good, not their putters
I agree with you
Old 02-24-2020, 12:03 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 38
Niced 548 Times in 226 Posts

Quote:
The frustrating part of my previous post is seeing if fade left in front of the chains. I usually dont miss short in my range 20ft or so. At 30 ft is where I feel real uncomfortable and doubt Ill make it. Ive heard putting is mental but its hard to overcome seeing yourself attempt a historically low percentage putt.
Try any of the putting games that have you move in incremental distances. Keep a record of how you do...this is important for confidence and improvement, as you will have recorded proof that you can hit X percent of putts from Y distance. Don't try to jump from 20 feet to 30 feet. Increasing your comfort zone happens one foot at a time. You may find yourself making 90%+ from 20 feet, then all you have to do is start making 90%+ from 21 feet. It can be easier mentally to think that it is only one more foot outside your 90%+ area, so there shouldn't be too much difference. Eventually you will feel more comfortable from further out as you have built a base of confidence one foot at a time.

Again, it will come as the reps accumulate.

Niced: (2)
Old 02-24-2020, 12:16 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 20
Courses Played: 172
Niced 843 Times in 348 Posts

Quote:
Id really like to buy a stack of the same putter for better putting practice but I cant help wanting get all the putters. Thoughts?
As many have said, the putter is one of the least important parts of putting. Once you develop good form, most putters will fly about the same inside the circle. But it is good to have several copies of the same putter for practice.

I tried quite a few putters before settling on one. I eventually sent a big box full of rejected putters to someone who was helping to introduce youngsters to this fine (but often frustrating) game.

Good luck!
Old 02-24-2020, 12:21 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 74 Times in 27 Posts

And here I felt bad for buying 1 Aviar and 1 Banger-GT before settling on a stack of Wizards. I couldn't even think of 15 different (putting) putters I'd want to try, because I want my putter to be available in bulk for cheap. I'm curious about the Fierce and the Luna, but I'm not buying multiples at those prices.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:32 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 17
Niced 298 Times in 182 Posts

The correct answer seems to be N + 1

Or maybe not.

Old 02-24-2020, 12:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.7
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,385 Times in 681 Posts

Pick one you can see yourself throwing, and sell the rest. Invest the sales money in helping to buy more of the same putter that you picked.

I had to do that this winter. Sold all of my other putters (challengers, classic aviars, P2s) and forcing me to commit to throwing Steadys.