Old 03-13-2020, 08:23 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.3
Courses Played: 108
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 635 Times in 295 Posts

Did anyone watch the pre-tourney interview with Jeff Spring and Brodie? I can't get the link, sorry. But I thought that it was quite good and nicely professional.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2020, 08:26 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.8
Courses Played: 91
Niced 1,388 Times in 683 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RistoS View Post
After checking out the podcast I have to say it was directed at DGPT much more than at Brodie. He saw Brodie's inclusion on the feature card as a publicity stunt because he hadn't yet proved himself as capable of being a pro disc golfer, which is a completely legitimate argument.
It was completely an agenda to trash DGPT for this specific choice. You bet it was a publicity stunt, and DGPT should be applauded for making a smart move here. If someone drops a golden ticket in your lap, do you not use it because you didn't earn it?

First and foremost - DGPT is in the business of marketing their product. Putting Brodie on this lead card (as a 'local' Texan) absolutely made the most sense. Jamie is trashing them because they picked Brodie specifically, not a single thing would be said if it was someone else (which it has been in recent years)

Side note - putting your empolyer on blast on a national platform like that, when you're supposed to be helping market their event (ie he's part of the product and should want people to listen to him) is really just dumb

Old 03-13-2020, 08:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.6
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,771 Times in 1,998 Posts

So JT has appointed himself as the gatekeeper of disc golf?
Old 03-13-2020, 09:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24
Courses Played: 150
Niced 479 Times in 219 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
So JT has appointed himself as the gatekeeper of disc golf?
I don't think any more so than anyone else who has a Twitter account or who posts on these boards. He posted a personal opinion, which, (surprise!) is pretty much what all of us are doing every time we post anything. Sometimes our opinions are completely innocuous, sometimes our opinions are inflammatory, sometimes our opinions get proven correct over time, sometimes our opinions get proven wrong over time.
If I was more active in broadcasting my opinions, I might have said something similar three months ago, and I'd probably be eating crow at this point. I guess I'm just lucky that I didn't actually say it out loud.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-13-2020, 10:04 AM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 6
Niced 74 Times in 27 Posts

...sometimes our opinions are antithetical to growing the sport, sometimes we double down on our opinions 2 days ago on our podcast....

It'd be one thing if Brodie was a complete scrub, but he's not. And he's bringing in new players. As a new player myself, his videos with Paul are excellent learning material. He's really good at drawing out little tips and tricks from McBeth that you don't get anywhere else.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:15 AM
Par Member

Niced 206 Times in 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtex View Post
It's easy to jump the gun early on the internet and say things that aren't exactly positive. I try to remember to always give people slack and that it's much more important for people to have a voice and say what's on their mind, even if it is critical or negative.

The alternative is everyone afraid to say anything, and that's backwards and definitely not the route we want this internet experiment to go down.

JT means well, his heart is in the right place, you gotta give him rope to make a few slip ups.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:27 AM

Niced 26 Times in 6 Posts

I have been very impressed by Brodie.

He must have felt so much pressure but he handled it very well. I can't imagine putting that well in front of the cameras for my first tournament when many people want me to fail.

Good job Brodie, it was legit to think he would play bad but instead it was very promising.
Old 03-13-2020, 10:34 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27
Courses Played: 142
Niced 1,053 Times in 457 Posts

Disc golf is currently having a debate about a commentator that stated a player who was on a live broadcast is not serious about disc golf and only it in to gain additional fame and money.

If that doesn't prove growth, I don't know what does.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-13-2020, 10:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 40.2
Courses Played: 95
Niced 1,600 Times in 617 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Jay Dub

Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
Disc golf is currently having a debate about a commentator that stated a player who was on a live broadcast is not serious about disc golf and only it in to gain additional fame and money.

If that doesn't prove growth, I don't know what does.
If this was being talked about outside of disc golf you would have a point, but it isn't and you don't.

Old 03-13-2020, 10:49 AM
Flippy Flopper

Years Playing: 27
Courses Played: 142
Niced 1,053 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Dub View Post
If this was being talked about outside of disc golf you would have a point, but it isn't and you don't.
Fair.

But imagine saying the statement I did 10 years ago. You would have been locked up and tested for mental issues.

Niced: (3)