Old 03-22-2020, 02:43 PM
Bogey Member

Courses Played: 10
Niced 29 Times in 19 Posts

Well, 2020 is here, and the weather is starting to get nice in my area. I was really happy with the progress I made last year. I went out for about 30 rounds and did 5 or 6 fields sessions. The practice showed. I shaved 5 strokes off my previous PB at my local course.

I went out for a few rounds recently, and have decided I'm going to try a change in my strategy/technique. I'm a natural lefty, but for whatever reason I've thrown frisbees RHBH my entire life. So this left me in a predicament for disc golf - I could throw a LHFH and RHBH. Because they both turn to the left, I still didn't have a shot that turned to the right. So the last few years I've been working on developing a LHBH. It's basically felt extremely awkward the entire way, and although I've made some improvements with distance and lines, it's been minimal.

So I'm going to try shifting my focus from the LHBH to learning a turnover shot with my RHBH.
That being said, I think it's now more important I have some u/s discs to work with in my bag. I liked keeping my bag small last year (it was mostly just Wizard-Zone-Buzzz-Explorer), but I think it's time for some expansion, both for more distance and more lines. I am going to try out a Meteor and Leopard3. And because I made progress with my Explorer last year, I'm also adding a few higher speed discs, Getaway and Beast. I might not have the full arm for them yet, but want to play around with them and see what kind of lines/distance I can get out of them.

Updated bag:

Putters
Wizard - putting putter
Wizard - approach putter

Mids
Zone - O/S mid
Buzzz - Straight mid
Meteor - U/S mid

Fairways
Explorer - O/S/Straight fairway
Leopard3 - U/S fairway

Distance
Getaway - O/S Straight distance
Beast - Straight/US distance

The red discs are new discs and ones I'm not settled on yet, but am going to give them a shot. They seem to be well liked.
I'm now at 9 different molds, which is a big jump from last year. I'm hoping this sort of setup can last for a while.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (2)
Old 03-24-2020, 10:12 PM
Banned

Courses Played: 8
Niced 2,375 Times in 1,729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwalk77 View Post
Well, 2020 is here, and the weather is starting to get nice in my area. I was really happy with the progress I made last year. I went out for about 30 rounds and did 5 or 6 fields sessions. The practice showed. I shaved 5 strokes off my previous PB at my local course.

I went out for a few rounds recently, and have decided I'm going to try a change in my strategy/technique. I'm a natural lefty, but for whatever reason I've thrown frisbees RHBH my entire life. So this left me in a predicament for disc golf - I could throw a LHFH and RHBH. Because they both turn to the left, I still didn't have a shot that turned to the right. So the last few years I've been working on developing a LHBH. It's basically felt extremely awkward the entire way, and although I've made some improvements with distance and lines, it's been minimal.

So I'm going to try shifting my focus from the LHBH to learning a turnover shot with my RHBH.
That being said, I think it's now more important I have some u/s discs to work with in my bag. I liked keeping my bag small last year (it was mostly just Wizard-Zone-Buzzz-Explorer), but I think it's time for some expansion, both for more distance and more lines. I am going to try out a Meteor and Leopard3. And because I made progress with my Explorer last year, I'm also adding a few higher speed discs, Getaway and Beast. I might not have the full arm for them yet, but want to play around with them and see what kind of lines/distance I can get out of them.

Updated bag:

Putters
Wizard - putting putter
Wizard - approach putter

Mids
Zone - O/S mid
Buzzz - Straight mid
Meteor - U/S mid

Fairways
Explorer - O/S/Straight fairway
Leopard3 - U/S fairway

Distance
Getaway - O/S Straight distance
Beast - Straight/US distance

The red discs are new discs and ones I'm not settled on yet, but am going to give them a shot. They seem to be well liked.
I'm now at 9 different molds, which is a big jump from last year. I'm hoping this sort of setup can last for a while.
Solid bag. I hope you like the Leopard3 as much as I do.
Old 03-24-2020, 10:25 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.1
Courses Played: 163
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 165 Times in 121 Posts

Looks great! Wizard/Zone/Buzzz/Explorer is a great core. Just keep playing your game and find out what compliments your setup. As far as the RHBH and LHFH dilemna goes, I'm sure there are plenty of spots where each will be beneficial. I wouldn't force LHBH. Sounds like you're on the right track.
Old 05-10-2020, 10:37 PM
Bogey Member

I've done some significant field practice the last 4 days..
Here's where I'm at now:

Putters
Wizard - putting putter
Ringer GT - approach

Mids
Buzzz SS - straight, u/s
Verdict - o/s

Distance
Mantis - straight, u/s
Getaway - o/s

I've slimmed down a bit from my last bag to 6 molds. I like to keep it simple and not have as many choices on the course, and I think the above discs should cover almost all the shots I need.

While measuring at field practice, with my drivers I'd say I was averaging about 270'. I had a few break 300', but that was 2 out of several throws. (Looks like I overestimated my distance in my first post...whoops). So that being said, I don't see any reason to worry about "discing up" anytime in the near future. Form, technique, and consistent lines are my priority now, not exploring discs.

I may try out a Valk or Beast in Pro plastic for a "max distance" sort of disc. I have a Star Valk, but the turn is minimal.
Other than that, I feel pretty solid about the bag. Think I should stick with it and go out for 10-20 rounds
Old 05-11-2020, 03:38 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Niced 250 Times in 166 Posts

Quote:
Think I should stick with it and go out for 10-20 rounds
Yes.

Niced: (1)
Old 05-12-2020, 11:31 PM
Bogey Member

I went out for a round today and I'm really pleased with my performance. The practice paid off! I'm liking the bag setup

I've seen some others count how many times they use their discs. I probably won't do it on every round, but think it's a good idea and I tried it out today. Be interesting to compare across different courses as well. Today played at Greenbelt - open course, most holes in the 300'-400' range.

My results:

Wizard: 29
Ringer GT: 5
Buzzz SS: 1
Verdict: 1
Mantis: 4
Getaway: 11
Valkyrie: 6

No surprise that the Wizard dominates usage, as it should. I use it anytime I'm within 60 feet of the basket.
Getaway was most used driver. Multiple holes that require a left bending drive or that have some wind to them.
I did bring the Valk along today (wasn't sure about it previously), and I loved it. I'm going to stick with it. I get a little more distance and stability out of it than the Mantis. I'd really like to see this disc beat in a bit (in Star plastic).
Mantis came in handy for a few turnover shots.
Ringer GT was crucial for some of my approach shots

The 2 discs least thrown were the Verdict and the Buzzz SS, my 2 mids. Most holes felt too far to drive with a mid (more than 250) and too short to approach with a mid (within 150). When I throw a disc once a round, I start to question how useful it is. Granted, the 2 times I used them, I definitely preferred those discs for those shots. There are a couple of teeshots I wish I would have thrown a practice throw with the Verdict after the Getaway. If I extend my distance I could see myself using a Verdict on these holes. The Buzzz SS...almost felt useless today. The one time I used it I turned it over and it went in the creek. But I think it could be critical on a more closed/wooded course, or a course that has more holes that line up to the right.

Old 05-13-2020, 02:58 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.5
Niced 250 Times in 166 Posts

Your numbers look common to me. On different (types of) courses or different weather conditions, they might change, however, not necessarily the distribution, but the popularity of the discs.
Old 05-13-2020, 09:05 AM
Birdie Member

Niced 187 Times in 112 Posts

I like to keep a minimalist sort of bag as well.

I see guys I play with get to a tee pad or walk up to their lie and try to decide which disc they should throw.

There typically isn’t much debate about what I’ll throw on each shot because I don’t carry a bunch of discs that all do similar things for me.

I will admit there are probably two discs that I carry that seldom get thrown. They stay in the bag for the occasional odd shot that I rarely need to throw or in case the wind suddenly gets stupid crazy. If I don’t bring those discs with me then that will be the day I wish I had them.

Also, according to my math, that 270’ you mentioned is a solid 300’ or internet distance and the 300’ real world shot is at least 350’ in the virtual world.

Old 05-13-2020, 06:50 PM
Shun the frumious Bandersnatch!

Years Playing: 16.9
Courses Played: 25
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 988 Times in 827 Posts

Quote:
I've done some significant field practice the last 4 days..
Here's where I'm at now:

Putters
Wizard - putting putter
Ringer GT - approach

Mids
Buzzz SS - straight, u/s
Verdict - o/s

Distance
Mantis - straight, u/s
Getaway - o/s

I've slimmed down a bit from my last bag to 6 molds. I like to keep it simple and not have as many choices on the course, and I think the above discs should cover almost all the shots I need.

While measuring at field practice, with my drivers I'd say I was averaging about 270'. I had a few break 300', but that was 2 out of several throws. (Looks like I overestimated my distance in my first post...whoops). So that being said, I don't see any reason to worry about "discing up" anytime in the near future. Form, technique, and consistent lines are my priority now, not exploring discs.

I may try out a Valk or Beast in Pro plastic for a "max distance" sort of disc. I have a Star Valk, but the turn is minimal.
Other than that, I feel pretty solid about the bag. Think I should stick with it and go out for 10-20 rounds
Champion Valkyrie is going to generally be less OS then the Star.

Old 05-14-2020, 04:59 PM
Bogey Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey 1988 View Post
Champion Valkyrie is going to generally be less OS then the Star.
Interesting, did not know that - thanks for the pointer

Niced: (2)