Old 07-05-2011, 05:03 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 10.7
Courses Played: 28
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 24 Times in 14 Posts
Default Port Angeles to Portland Road Trip

Hey folks. I'm planning a little road trip for the last week of July and wondering if anyone has any suggestions for courses that are a must hit and maybe some (gasp!) non-DG activities/places to see.

This is a family trip (wife, 3 year old and me) and we will be heading down the 101 and I5 from P.A. to Portland. We were thinking maybe a few days in the Portland area and maybe to the coast back up and around the Olympic Peninsula. Something like a 5 or 6 day trip.

Any suggestions about places to stay (good camping, B&B's, hotels) that would be family-friendly? Courses that have other activities on site or near by? I also happen to like craft beer almost as much as DG. Any must hits in that regard?

Any suggestions/ideas are greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-06-2011, 12:26 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 38
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Jeez...other things besides disc golf? Well have you ever been to Port Townsend? If not, it's a very cool little town full of old vitorian houses and a cool little downtown. Can't recall the places we ate at, but I remember it was a can't miss with what you picked (down by the harbor).
I would say your best bet for all around familiy fun would be Milo McGyver State park. It's about 45 min to an hour east of Portland. That's were they have the State champs at. There is also Pier Park near/in downtown Portland. Never really had time to check out Portland, because the timing was always off, but a friend of mine lives there and works as a chef. I'll give him a buzzz and try and get some more info for you.
If you are headed South down 101 from Port Angelese. The town of Seaside Oregon is a must! Great beach and a kid friendly downtown, but it gets pretty crowded and crazy during this time of year. Still a fun place to visit.

Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 38
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Hey my buddy got back to me on some cool Portland stuff.

Food: K&Z, Country Cat, Pied Cow (must), Voodoo Doughnuts (must), Lucky Lab(must), Nostrana, The OP, Pok Pok, Cool Moon Ice Cream, or any food cart you run into!

Stuff to do: Oregon Zoo, Friday Ice cream "churn-O-ment"@ Pioneer Square, Shanghai Tunnel tours, Childerns Museum, Forest Center, any bike path around the river/downtown.

Micro brews: Portland Brew Co., Bagdad, and Mc Minnimas, Brewvana, and Portland Pub tours.

Hope this helps a bit!

Last edited by Rescue; 07-07-2011 at 10:04 PM.