Old 03-01-2016, 10:55 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 33
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 553 Times in 224 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by clard View Post
if I let my back leg go from really relaxed to a firm, quick push/turn under I noticed a power difference.
BINGO! I feel like it's the most powerful action that you can do with your back leg.

Even though I talk about getting the back heel off the ground all the time, I still struggle with it being off the ground and engaged in a maximized way. It's very easy for it to just come along for the ride, clear out of the way and that's it.

Thinking of it as "driving the back knee under" is a great mental queue to keep the back heel up and maximized.

I also think that staying on your plant foot toes prior/during the x-step (before it lifts and strides forward) helps keep the axis upright. When I get flat footed, I tend to smoosh / lean my axis of rotation.
Sponsored Links
Old 03-04-2016, 07:32 AM
Double Eagle Member

Courses Played: 16
Niced 36 Times in 33 Posts

The feel of the back leg drive has been coming pretty easily lately, but for some reason I'm really struggling with bracing well. I think my balance is weird or something, but it just doesn't feel right. Sometimes I'm throwing a dozen 300' one step putters in a row, and then I x step and lose distance UNLESS I try to throw it hard. If I try to drive the back leg then the disc will come out fast and go further than a stand still, but something about a 3/4 x step just hasn't been working lately.
Old 03-04-2016, 11:17 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 7
Courses Played: 33
Niced 553 Times in 224 Posts

Quote:
The feel of the back leg drive has been coming pretty easily lately, but for some reason I'm really struggling with bracing well. I think my balance is weird or something, but it just doesn't feel right. Sometimes I'm throwing a dozen 300' one step putters in a row, and then I x step and lose distance UNLESS I try to throw it hard. If I try to drive the back leg then the disc will come out fast and go further than a stand still, but something about a 3/4 x step just hasn't been working lately.
I could have written a very similar paragraph... many times over the last 2 years.

Done right, and I am sure you're doing it right, the 1-step simplifies and happens slower and the focus is typically on a powerful rotation because we can feel that is the best way to generate power. We engage the hips, drive them around off the back foot and have good results.

A 3-step (for lack of a good term) puts substantially more forward momentum into the system, which makes it harder to adjust for in terms of rotation. We feel the momentum, we know that we can brace it and have it's force available, so rotation "feels" less important. We don't drive the hips around off the back foot... the stride is likely longer, the back leg comes along for the ride instead of driving the hips open.

Where this shows up drastically for me, is on an up-hill teepad. I am using the 3-step, but not getting the momentum... and losing the rotational power and end up with lack-luster distance. Often I do just as well or better on uphill teepads with a 1-step.

I have been trying to merge the two, with very limited success and lots of cursing. My current best shots are almost all slow 3-steps. Adding too much "juice" to the x-step I leave the hips behind... it sucks.

Editted to say that my max distance will fluctuate between 390' when I'm screwing up my rotational power to 425'+ when I am getting it right. It's very noticeable and I have been trying to come up with a mental trick to keep myself engaging hips in the 3-step. I've been trying to imagine a skateboard under my back foot and I'm trying to shoot it behind me as far as I can.

Last edited by HyzerUniBomber; 03-04-2016 at 11:28 AM.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Double Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyzerUniBomber View Post
A 3-step (for lack of a good term) puts substantially more forward momentum into the system, which makes it harder to adjust for in terms of rotation. We feel the momentum, we know that we can brace it and have it's force available, so rotation "feels" less important. We don't drive the hips around off the back foot... the stride is likely longer, the back leg comes along for the ride instead of driving the hips open.
Yep. I have been looking at some video and my stride is getting really long, and the hips are lagging. Slowing down the x step helps this to somewhat, and a focus on engaging the back leg with a shorter stride has been helping too.

Quote:
I have been trying to merge the two, with very limited success and lots of cursing. My current best shots are almost all slow 3-steps. Adding too much "juice" to the x-step I leave the hips behind... it sucks.
The timing is really difficult to say the least.

Quote:
Editted to say that my max distance will fluctuate between 390' when I'm screwing up my rotational power to 425'+ when I am getting it right. It's very noticeable and I have been trying to come up with a mental trick to keep myself engaging hips in the 3-step. I've been trying to imagine a skateboard under my back foot and I'm trying to shoot it behind me as far as I can.
I think we are throwing pretty much the same distance right now. I got out to a football field yesterday with hardly any wind, and I with Destoyers I broke 400' 9/10 throws with about 4 of those in the 420'-440' range. Possibly my best throw of the day was a more beat up Destroyer that carried on a hyzer out to 400' and was only about 8-10' off the ground.

I don't think I can stomach posting video of my form right now. It ain't pretty.
Old 03-23-2016, 12:27 PM
Double Eagle Member

I just came back from a field work session, and I made two breakthroughs! In one day!

1) The first one is really half a breakthrough because it is more of remembering something I had forgotten. I was thinking about my reachback and realized that I was a little tense so I decided to focus on really going slack/relaxed right at the peak of the reachback before the forward motion starts. Instant increase in distance.

2) This is a weird one, but it is the single biggest breakthrough I've had in 6 months or more: roll the wrist under at release. SW22 had posted something in one of the "Understability really (some #) of things" where he said that you could put understable or overstable wobble on a disc by rolling your wrist over or under respectively. I had my really flippy, 167 Tern with me and I just couldn't get it to hold a hyzer so I decided to try rolling my wrist under. HOLY CRAP! For some reason, and I can't explain this, my hit instantly felt stronger. And on every throw for about 20 throws in a row I felt the strongest ejection of the disc from my hand that I have ever felt.

Using these two things I threw about 6 Destroyers, on golf lines, to 440-460. I have NEVER hit that distance consistently and have only really hit it on slightly distance-y lines for the most part. I am 98% sure I could throw distance lines 500+ with this feeling, but watching those discs fly 450, in the air, no skip, was just amazing. I can't throw anymore today, but I did as much as I could to ingrain these feelings and I'll be hitting the field again tomorrow.

I'm so excited I just had to share. I'm going to edit some video of the throws and post it today or tomorrow. In the video the disc just looks like it's coming out FAST.
Old 03-23-2016, 06:32 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,419 Times in 2,086 Posts

Quote:
2) This is a weird one, but it is the single biggest breakthrough I've had in 6 months or more: roll the wrist under at release. SW22 had posted something in one of the "Understability really (some #) of things" where he said that you could put understable or overstable wobble on a disc by rolling your wrist over or under respectively. I had my really flippy, 167 Tern with me and I just couldn't get it to hold a hyzer so I decided to try rolling my wrist under. HOLY CRAP! For some reason, and I can't explain this, my hit instantly felt stronger. And on every throw for about 20 throws in a row I felt the strongest ejection of the disc from my hand that I have ever felt.
The pronation allows better disc weight control and full extension and thumb push. See my adaption of BlakeT's water bottle drill:
Old 03-24-2016, 05:25 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.2
Courses Played: 28
Niced 609 Times in 238 Posts

Quote:

Where this shows up drastically for me, is on an up-hill teepad. I am using the 3-step, but not getting the momentum... and losing the rotational power and end up with lack-luster distance. Often I do just as well or better on uphill teepads with a 1-step.
Ahh Jason, sometimes you just nail it.

I'm not used to courses with elevation, played one this sunday and was getting really frustrated with the lack of uphill power, everything felt just janky and wrong - betting it was this, might just standstill these in future until I get a chance to practice.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:14 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 36
Niced 3 Times in 2 Posts

Is there a benefit to pronating/rolling under at release vs already being there at max reach back?

Also been engaging the back leg vs dragging it along. Gained some power on hyzers. I think my plant is too wide to take full advantage though.
Old 03-24-2016, 09:40 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.2
Niced 155 Times in 107 Posts

Waaaaait, wait wait wait.

Roll the wrist under?

Does that not make you throw nose up?

Old 03-24-2016, 09:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 13.8
Courses Played: 221
Niced 3,419 Times in 2,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbr75 View Post
Is there a benefit to pronating/rolling under at release vs already being there at max reach back?
It's changing the swing plane then for better or for worse and telegraphing the disc for anhyzer at reachback.