Old 12-13-2011, 06:10 PM

Years Playing: 9.9
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Track and field discus throw vs disc golf throw

alright so this dilemma has been bugging me for some time but for track and field would it help to do discus throw? I'm afraid of doing that will throw off my form for disc golf because of the extreme weight difference but if anyone can tell me otherwise, and that it will actually help, then it will help me decide come spring.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-2011, 06:19 PM
""Supporting The Legacy""

Years Playing: 15.1
Courses Played: 36
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

James...pm this guy he will let you know whats up...he is a good guy

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/member.php?u=19002
Old 12-13-2011, 06:34 PM
Maryland State PDGA Coordinator

Years Playing: 13
Courses Played: 256
Niced 61 Times in 30 Posts

A discus is a different beast. That's like saying will throwing a bowling ball help me with free throws.
form is way different objects are different.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:36 PM

It will not hurt you unless you do 360 drives while holding the top of the disc.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:39 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

and stay away from this guy^^^
Old 12-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Yeah, don't listen to the track coach with a degree in kineseology.
Old 12-13-2011, 06:48 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

not saying that...i figured you were going to prerube him....!! im sure this question has been asked
Old 12-13-2011, 07:01 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 66
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Sounds like you're probably in high school? Training for discus is bound to build muscle in your legs, core, chest, arms, and hands as well as improve your overall balance and coordination. Those things won't necessarily translate directly into becoming a better disc golfer, but they set up a great foundation.
Old 12-14-2011, 12:05 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 12.8
Courses Played: 79
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshEpoo View Post
Sounds like you're probably in high school? Training for discus is bound to build muscle in your legs, core, chest, arms, and hands as well as improve your overall balance and coordination. Those things won't necessarily translate directly into becoming a better disc golfer, but they set up a great foundation.
Can't agree more. As a former discus thrower and fellow kinesiologist I would highly encourage you to go for it.

But aside from increased strength, balance and stuff there isn't much translation in the form of a discus throw to a frisbee disc. First of all you are throwing forehand, so it's not going to affect a backhand shot. Also muscle groups and trajectory of flight is way different. You might be able to argue that it could help your forehand shot, but not a whole lot.

I think the biggest benefit is how it will teach you to study and break down your throwing form. The right technique trumps brute strength in both discus and disc golf and the discipline you get there should help your disc golf game.

Old 12-14-2011, 12:35 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 475
Niced 31 Times in 14 Posts

As a collegiate thrower I can tell you there is very little translation from one to the other. While Discus will develop your muscles and balance as the others have said it really will not do much else for Disc golf. the spin has no translation to a linear run-up and The release is nothing like your grip on a disc and the spin and twisting is actually the complete opposite of a backhand throw in DG. I strongly recommend you do it though. Great sport and It will teach you the patience you need to develop good form/technique(which is more important than brute strength) in DG and its just plain fun.

Another aspect from the sport that I have found useful is the understanding of the disc in flight and the affects of release point and the planes that your arms travel. that kind of stuff comes from deep study into the sport and gets pretty darn technical.

This is all assuming that your #1 throwing style is not a 360 chicken wing in which case everything I said may be wrong cause that shiz looks like a discus throw