Old 11-20-2021, 11:19 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 142
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 6,415 Times in 2,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gammaxgoblin View Post
“A big part of it is, I get to keep running events… I can work with anybody from any company and really help grow the sport of disc golf. That’s why this made so much sense. And Infinite made me feel valued.”...let me translate..."I get to grow my paycheck because growing the sport is some non sense BS that jackasses say."
I have an old friend (who I haven't talked to in a couple of years and need to look up) who sold golf discs back in the early days. He also published the PDGA magazine and was on the PDGA BoD for years, ran A tiers back when A tiers were the biggest events and he was the TD of at least one Am Worlds. He did a lot of the "grow the Sport" thing. His heyday of selling golf discs was back in the mail-order catalog days; after the Internet showed up he just could never get ahead of the curve. I was talking to him about 10 years ago and he said "I suppose if I had spent less time trying to make something out of disc golf and more time trying to make something out of my business, we might be as big as Gotta Go Gotta Throw now."

It just didn't happen. He retired and closed his store a few years ago, and now he misses out of the pandemic disc sales boom. Growing the sport always comes at a cost; not everybody can pay it.
Sponsored Links

Old 11-20-2021, 11:44 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 96
Niced 2,808 Times in 635 Posts

Rick Rothstein, right? I miss his shop. It was fun to pop in and listen to stories of the good old days, but he was always just as interested in hearing about what was happening now too.

Old 11-20-2021, 01:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 275
Niced 642 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
I have an old friend (who I haven't talked to in a couple of years and need to look up) who sold golf discs back in the early days. He also published the PDGA magazine and was on the PDGA BoD for years, ran A tiers back when A tiers were the biggest events and he was the TD of at least one Am Worlds. He did a lot of the "grow the Sport" thing. His heyday of selling golf discs was back in the mail-order catalog days; after the Internet showed up he just could never get ahead of the curve. I was talking to him about 10 years ago and he said "I suppose if I had spent less time trying to make something out of disc golf and more time trying to make something out of my business, we might be as big as Gotta Go Gotta Throw now."

It just didn't happen. He retired and closed his store a few years ago, and now he misses out of the pandemic disc sales boom. Growing the sport always comes at a cost; not everybody can pay it.
Rick R?

Niced: (1)
Old 11-20-2021, 01:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 275
Niced 642 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova63 View Post
Rick R?

Good guy...

Ran a great KCWO...

I would call him when I needed a large and specific disc order...

.....oops
Old 11-20-2021, 02:58 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 18.2
Courses Played: 33
Niced 2,000 Times in 885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite View Post
Revealing that one of their best players is moving on to Westside Discs, a smaller and thus inferior(?) company, feels like they want to get ahead of the "Discraft got Matt Orum too! Prodigy couldn't hold on to him!" rumors. Nip that stuff in the bud right away.

Lat. 64 and DD own Westside now.

So it is a smaller division/brand of a much larger, more successful company than Prodigy.

Niced: (1)
Old 11-20-2021, 05:21 PM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 1,205 Times in 568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanJon View Post
Lat. 64 and DD own Westside now.

So it is a smaller division/brand of a much larger, more successful company than Prodigy.
You're right that the Latitude 64 group of companies is likely larger than Prodigy, although Westside itself is not. Would Prodigy prefer the narrative to be that Matt Orum went to Westside, or let people speculate that Discraft probably got him also?

Remember the years when the New York Yankees would simply outbid other teams for most of the top talent in Major League Baseball, buying their way into 100 win seasons and World Series?

My theory is that Prodigy wanted people to immediately know that Discraft(the Yankees) did not take Matt Orum from them.

Last edited by swhite; 11-20-2021 at 05:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2021, 07:33 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 6,415 Times in 2,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova P View Post
Rick Rothstein, right? I miss his shop. It was fun to pop in and listen to stories of the good old days, but he was always just as interested in hearing about what was happening now too.
Rick was a hoot back in the day. We never got any real information on the new discs back then, there was just suddenly a new space on the order form. So I'd ask Rick "What does this Cheetah fly like" and he would say "I don't know", then I would say "What am I supposed to tell people when they ask?" and he would say "Tell them to throw a Roc."

Change "Cheetah" to any other disc released 1995-2000 and that was about 70% of my conversations with Rick. I miss those days.

Old 11-20-2021, 10:12 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 1
Niced 200 Times in 119 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Rick was a hoot back in the day. We never got any real information on the new discs back then, there was just suddenly a new space on the order form. So I'd ask Rick "What does this Cheetah fly like" and he would say "I don't know", then I would say "What am I supposed to tell people when they ask?" and he would say "Tell them to throw a Roc."

Change "Cheetah" to any other disc released 1995-2000 and that was about 70% of my conversations with Rick. I miss those days.

I met Rick a year or so before he shut down, he told me about a time in 1990 when he drove from kc to Iowa city to let some folks try out some discs. He said he ended up selling four discs, and lost money on the drive. All because a couple sent him a letter. That was the real grow the sport stuff.

Old 11-23-2021, 01:00 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 212 Times in 96 Posts

these threads are sosososososo similar to when grandpa breaks into his cough syrup cabinet

Niced: (2)

Old 11-23-2021, 01:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Niced 8,283 Times in 2,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurricaine View Post
these threads are sosososososo similar to when grandpa breaks into his cough syrup cabinet
It is. lol.

Except in this case, grandpa is running, tournaments, installing courses, heading up clubs, leading leagues, doing the maintenance on your track....while hopped up on the syrup.

Niced: (2)