Old 07-27-2021, 11:32 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 270 Times in 188 Posts
Default Hawgdriver form critique

Feels weird to go 3d person with a thread title. Just sayin.

I've watched a ton, read a bunch of these threads, but nothing beats putting up some video for a savage takedown. So here it is, some fieldwork from about sixty minutes ago. This was, btw, the longest I've ever thrown a golf disc on this field by my house.

Thanks so much for any insight.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2021, 10:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,960 Times in 4,014 Posts

Your footwork could use some work. You take a massive x-step and get too backwards and start rotating forward early into the plant before you shift. Note how much further Eagle drives his CoG forward because he stayed more lateral throughout and keeps rotating further back. You are rotating back and forth much more while your CoG can't be leveraged forward as well when backwards.

Hershyzer and Door Frame Drills. Shift from Behind.

https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=118948

Niced: (1)
Old 07-31-2021, 12:51 AM
Eagle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
Your footwork ...
Much appreciated, coach. I'll report back.

Old 08-13-2021, 12:29 AM
Eagle Member

This feels like I'm trying to incorporate significant changes, but then I wonder if it's exactly the same.

Does anyone see progress or improvement, especially in light of SW22's comments?
Old 08-13-2021, 12:37 AM
Eagle Member

If I'm still doing the exact same stupid stuff, that's also a fine comment.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:10 AM
* Ace Member *

Lol. Tiny changes can feel very big, you need to keep going even bigger. I would abandon the x-step for a bit to work on the fundamentals without extra moving parts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogonOY1DoHU#t=40m
https://www.dgcoursereview.com/forum...d.php?t=139973

Old 08-13-2021, 01:23 AM
Eagle Member

I was thinking along the same lines after watching mine and some Eagle footage. I like my flow, but I like Eagle's set-piece max-extension form so much better. His x-step is de minimus, pretty close to a 'fall into it' standstill.

Thanks for taking a gander.

Sometimes I also wonder if I need to do the disc golf equivalent of 'plyos'. You know, if I'm trying to dunk a basketball and my vert is a problem, maybe I need to spend some time on the explosive strength training piece.
Old 08-13-2021, 01:49 AM
Par Member

Niced 374 Times in 143 Posts

1. Stand relaxed like you would whenever you are not playing disc golf, feet perpendicular to target.
2. Slowly fall towards target and catch yourself balanced at last second with your rear foot.
3. Notice where and how your feet are positioned.
4. Place something on the ground or make a mark for the balls of your feet.
5. Do the X-step like before but focus only on the ground and foot work instead of the throw. Place your feet where you've made your marks. It should feel like you are continually falling towards target, never able to catch yourself really. Your hips should feel like they outrace your feet. You WANT that totally different feeling. Move really slow and let gravity and pressure accelerate you. With your current form you are moving fast and letting gravity and pressure slow you down instead. Same outcome in speed, but one is accelerating and leveraged and one is decelerating and badly leveraged.

Old 08-13-2021, 01:52 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawgdriver View Post
Sometimes I also wonder if I need to do the disc golf equivalent of 'plyos'. You know, if I'm trying to dunk a basketball and my vert is a problem, maybe I need to spend some time on the explosive strength training piece.
While it probably wouldn't hurt, it probably wouldn't help you either with learning the fundamental motion pattern skill which doesn't require athleticism or feats of strength.

Old 08-16-2021, 10:04 PM
Eagle Member

Earlier today. Once again it feels like I'm making massive changes but when I watch the video it doesn't stand out.

My mindset in these throws is to get shoulder complex behind CG and slow down approach with a smaller x-step. I was seeing some consistent distance improvement from full extension and a bit slower approach.

I notice that I close off my hips and keep a rear-leaning stack, but I'm not sure why this is bad if I end up at the same place. Confused why this is a bad thing--seems like a more dynamic back to front weight shift would be good, all else equal. Want to hear thoughts on that.

When I watch, it looks like I could get more CG/Shoulder displacement/loading if I brought my spine down a little bit (i.e. more of a hyzer plane of motion). Just thinking out loud.

I also notice that while I am loading up my front leg fairly well, I'm not sure if it's too bowed--am I squatting too much through release?

Again, any comments are welcome, I will work very hard at this as I would like to throw 500' on full send. Thank you.