Old 11-18-2021, 09:51 PM
Par Member

Niced 55 Times in 43 Posts

Well I did go out and throw some discs, but I tried to keep it super simple - let my backswing draw me back, and keep my eye on the disc the whole time. I think I was a little too leaned forward (need more hinge at the hip?), and I was pulling a lot of the throws off to the right, but it definitely felt better to not have my head leading the rest of my body in the forward swing. It did feel very different, so I hope I got a bit warmer!

Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-18-2021, 10:31 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,975 Times in 4,022 Posts

Much better!

You need to either stride front foot:

1. further targetward/north and land toes first - plantar flexed to resist against targetward momentum.

or

2. further perpendicular/west like elephant walk/figure 8, land heel first then toes and then go into reverse walk plantar flexing plant foot moving pressure back toward heel.

3. do not combine 1+2 striding into diagonal NW direction.

Your pressure is staying too much in your heel the entire time and not moving across the foot like a walk or reverse walk changing direction with plantar flexion. Note how you remain on your front heel after pivoting, should only pivot quick about 90 degrees to face target and go back to toes.

Old 11-19-2021, 11:35 AM
Par Member

Nice, one of the things I was wondering about was how to bridge the gap from this to an x-step, but it looks like the sort of hershyzer-y one step drill Shawn demonstrates shows how to do just that. Thanks!
Old 11-19-2021, 12:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 2.2
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,092 Times in 1,082 Posts

The throw is an athletic move--particularly when you incorporate the X step. You are vertical. I think that's some of what SW is talking about when he says weight is on your heels.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:01 AM
Eagle Member

Niced 969 Times in 446 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidewinder22 View Post
I have to reiterate this right here. A proper, well executed and positioned brace is the most important part of the throw. I see all sorts of variability in the upper body of professionals, but everyone from the waist down braces just like Eagle does right here. I would focus 100% on figuring this out, it's that important.

That bracing position isn't just unique to discgolf. Slow mo and see for yourself in other sports, like baseball swings, hockey slap shots, golf swings, boxing punches, javelin throws, hell many more I'm not thinking of, they all do this as well. Head positioned between the legs, behind front foot, braced down. It's the secret sauce to get power in many, many athletic movements.

If you think Drew Gibson has a strong brace, you should see Mike Tyson brace when he throws an uppercut, it's pretty awesome.

Last edited by Nick Pacific; 11-21-2021 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11-26-2021, 09:13 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Much better!

You need to either stride front foot:

1. further targetward/north and land toes first - plantar flexed to resist against targetward momentum.

or

2. further perpendicular/west like elephant walk/figure 8, land heel first then toes and then go into reverse walk plantar flexing plant foot moving pressure back toward heel.

3. do not combine 1+2 striding into diagonal NW direction.

Your pressure is staying too much in your heel the entire time and not moving across the foot like a walk or reverse walk changing direction with plantar flexion. Note how you remain on your front heel after pivoting, should only pivot quick about 90 degrees to face target and go back to toes.

Alright, was able to get out for some more tosses, and focused on doing the two drills Shawn talks about in that video. I felt like I still had problems with planting heel first and then spinning out on my heel, though I worked on it over the session and I think it improved a little. I also struggled a bit throughout with posture; I wound up sort of leaned over top of the brace a lot. Generally, things also just look a little herky jerky, not super fluid.
I also had some weird issues at first with not putting enough spin on the disc? Maybe it was just wobble, but from the rate of wobble it also just sort of looked like not enough spin. I'm not really sure why that would be, I don't normally do anything active to spin the disc or anything like that. Towards the end I started trying to put a bit more effort into the throws, and then they started flying better.
I don't think I did the drills perfect, but especially with that feet together drill I did get a good sense of having to "catch" myself with my plant, which I've never been able to get before. And looking at the disc through the swing still felt like a big difference-maker, feels so much better to throw when my head isn't leading my body.

Old 11-27-2021, 01:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Looking a lot better. You still turn your head back before you start your backswing which I don't think helps.

Old 11-27-2021, 02:44 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Looking a lot better. You still turn your head back before you start your backswing which I don't think helps.
Yeah, true, I see I was cheating a bit with the early head turn. I think I'm gonna keep working these drills until they look better, but any tips/drills for eventually moving from feet together drill to full x-step? It feels so different (in a good way) that it's hard to imagine how I would approach a full on x-step while maintaining this feeling, and I don't want to just go right back into bad habits.
Old 11-27-2021, 02:46 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melonhusk View Post
Yeah, true, I see I was cheating a bit with the early head turn. I think I'm gonna keep working these drills until they look better, but any tips/drills for eventually moving from feet together drill to full x-step? It feels so different (in a good way) that it's hard to imagine how I would approach a full on x-step while maintaining this feeling, and I don't want to just go right back into bad habits.
Start from Hershyzer with feet crossed over and butt facing target. I really don't like start feet together.

Old 11-27-2021, 02:50 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Start from Hershyzer with feet crossed over and butt facing target. I really don't like start feet together.
Oh gotcha, right I could just cross my feet over. Thanks!