Old 12-01-2020, 08:29 PM
Par Member

Niced 55 Times in 43 Posts

(Sorry for vertical, slow motion, flipped video)

Huge breakthrough today! Definitely not perfect - could be less closed off, like always, and maybe delay the shoulders even more, but - for the first time ever, I think, I had the feeling of the chain reaction, hips whipping the arm whipping the disc. It felt totally different. I'm not 100% positive, as it was a miserable day and I've got a ton of layers on, but I'm pretty sure it fixed my strongarming issue too. If my right shoulder is hiked in this it's definitely not as bad as it has been. It was wet, cold, and into a ripping headwind so discs were not traveling very far, but I have a feeling distance will improve with the weather. Thanks everyone on here for the help over the last few months!
Sponsored Links

Old 12-01-2020, 10:11 PM
Eagle Member

Niced 324 Times in 203 Posts

Is it a strong twitch motion from the hips and a swim move from the off-arm that's driving the whipping motion of a loose throwing arm?
Old 12-01-2020, 11:11 PM
Par Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedraven View Post
Is it a strong twitch motion from the hips and a swim move from the off-arm that's driving the whipping motion of a loose throwing arm?
I'm definitely no expert, but I think for me it's definitely not a "twitch" feeling. When I think about my hips the feeling that comes to mind is "unwinding" on the front leg. You land on the front leg, knee a little bent to absorb the impact, and then as the knee straightens, now with all your weight on it, your hips can't really help but turn forward, it's just what they want to do if you've put yourself in the right positions and shifted your weight linearly. I think it can definitely help to imagine your hip sort of pushing up towards the sky, but for me that's more of a posture cue, to prevent myself from tipping over the plant. For me the only conscious exertion as far as my lower body is just that push up on my plant leg.

I don't use a swim move, I don't think? I also don't think I fully understand the swim move. I do have an image in my head of Paul's swim move, but I don't believe I do that. I do focus on my off arm for sure though, bsammons really clarified for me how the trail leg and trail arm sort of act as a counterweight for the disc, and I've found that idea really helpful. The harder I drive down with my off arm, the harder the disc seems to come out on the opposite side.

Having a "loose" throwing arm for me is really difficult, but I think it definitely helps when my timing is all working well. If I let my shoulders get ahead of my lower body, I find I don't really have much choice but to tense my shoulder, arm, etc. to compensate. My big breakthrough today was that I finally kept my shoulders back long enough that they could take advantage of my lower body. It seems like once everything got in motion my shoulders and throwing arm didn't have much choice but just to go along for the ride. I have to say, though, it's never helped me too much to think of "loose". I tend to just get floppy arms. I like what SW has said to me in the past: the arm is "pulled taut".
Old 12-02-2020, 06:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9
Courses Played: 67
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 812 Times in 392 Posts

If you want to focus even more on your off arm, look at your Drew Gibson video in post 25 of this thread.

Looks like he's pushing someones face into the dirt. Lots of power in that move.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:46 AM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 48
Niced 427 Times in 313 Posts

Looks like a pretty good throw to me! Like joecoin said, Drew's offarm movement or even Paul McBeth's offarm movement are very good to copy. Their off arm starts moving in before the plant, like right around when the disc is starting to come forward.
Old 12-02-2020, 10:30 AM
Par Member

Oh absolutely, Drew looks like he gets a ton from that move. It’s been enough of a struggle for me just to get my arm tucked at all, but definitely more work to do there!
Old 05-25-2021, 12:24 AM
Par Member

Well, finally clawing back from injury, and ready for throwing rehab - throwing right handed! Next two weeks I'm throwing 15 backhands and 15 forehands out to 150 feet, two times a week, so I figure I'll just film them all and work on de-rusting my form while I'm at it. I'm still working on lefty backhand too, but I'll just post it all in here from now on I guess.

It was actually pretty hard to focus on technique while throwing righty backhands, as I had to take so much off, and I was afraid if I tried to put everything together I'd accidentally throw hard and hurt myself. So I was kind of spinning open and throwing soft anhyzers. I know I was way "outside" my posture too. I don't know, what I was doing felt easy on my body but I don't know of any pros that have such ugly upshot form so it feels like there's work to do.

Forehand was actually a pleasant surprise, as I've always been trash at forehanding anything but putters (can't kick that ultimate forehand), but today they were really zipping out low effort. I was making sure to get my weight down on my front foot and planting more open to the target than I did previously, and I think those two things made the difference. The only problem was, even though they felt easy 75% came out as nose up hyzers. Not sure what I was doing different - here's one that came out nice and level:

and here's one that popped up.

Any advice appreciated, thanks!
Old 05-25-2021, 12:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.8
Courses Played: 253
Niced 6,926 Times in 3,995 Posts

BH you shouldn't be turned back that far unless going for big distance and striding front foot forward and turning it back with the pelvis. Front foot should be setup pointed somewhat targetward.

FH nose up looked like a longer stride. I would suggest "standstill" and turning your rear foot further back away and then lifting it or kicking it behind front foot like bowling.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--CCIxtDIxg&t=36s
Old 05-25-2021, 02:34 PM
Par Member

Right, yeah now you mention it I do see that sort of open to the target stance on upshots a lot. I'll play around with that, thanks!

I see that too, yeah - do you think the longer stride threw the timing off, or got me off balance, and that's why? I'll try bowling style next time!

Old 06-07-2021, 01:28 AM
Par Member

Got some more video, one backhand one forehand.

Most of my efforts towards form the last 6 months or so have been put towards trying to keep my front shoulder from hiking up when I throw. I think I've made some big progress on that front, but I guess it's also left me paranoid. Does this look ok? I'm intentionally throwing a little upwards here, so I guess my torso would have to have a slight tilt putting my right shoulder higher - seem plausible? Or is this not quite it yet?

I think part of the problem is I'm not sure why the front shoulder needs to be down, just that everyone seems to do it to some degree. Some like McBeth or Jeremy Koling have theirs hiked up a little higher, some like Schusterick or Drew Gibson almost have their front shoulder lower than their back it seems like. Within a range, does it just come down to the individual's body and how their throw has developed? Or is one way of doing things necessarily better?

My forehands have all been very nose up, but after this last session I think I might be on to something. Seems like I've got a pretty serious swooping motion going on, right? That would probably explain the nose up. Would it work better to go for a "higher arm slot", to keep the disc more on a plane to release? I was inspired partially by Jeremy here:

his shoulder almost seems to go over the top at the end, where mine seems to be more coming under.

Thanks as always!