Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > Equipment > Discs

Old 11-22-2021, 02:30 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 289 Times in 141 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevis View Post
more believable than saying 'nice' can affect disc flight
The vibrations in the air from your "nice" pushed my disc off line.

It's essentially the Butterfly effect.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-22-2021, 05:09 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 51
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 696 Times in 414 Posts

Quote:
I’ve been involved in hundreds of shots where someone or I have said “nice” (or similar) and… you are right. It’s a toss up.

As for the stiffness thing, I’d also say ho-hum. It’s in your mind!
Old 11-22-2021, 06:25 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 20.2
Courses Played: 43
Niced 2,033 Times in 1,000 Posts

Quote:
Is nicing people useless?

I'd say it has more of an effect than the stiffness of a flight plate. A soft plate domey Valkyrie (Pro, 10/10 170) will fly farther than a firm plate flat Valk (Pro, 10/10 170). That's a hill I'll die on until someone can scientifically prove it.
Old 11-22-2021, 08:18 PM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 27.4
Courses Played: 142
Niced 6,414 Times in 2,132 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
Is nicing people useless?

I'd say it has more of an effect than the stiffness of a flight plate. A soft plate domey Valkyrie (Pro, 10/10 170) will fly farther than a firm plate flat Valk (Pro, 10/10 170). That's a hill I'll die on until someone can scientifically prove it.
Yeah, I'd sit on that hill as well. I really don't think there is anything to this.

It's like back in the day when people said green and blue Cyclones were more OS; I had friends that would only throw green and blue Cyclones because of that. Was it true? I mean maybe? A little? Maybe not? Probably not. I mean if you could throw, you could throw a yellow Cyclone. Any little tiny bit of extra stability you might get from a green Cyclone wasn't going to take you from chump to champ. It was a psychological thing mostly. If throwing a green Cyclone somehow made you more confident, whatever. If digging thorough stacks of discs looking for stiff flight plates makes you think you can throw farther, you do you man.

For me it's just a buncha hooey. There are better features on a disc to be looking at IMO.

Old 11-22-2021, 08:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 37
Courses Played: 275
Niced 641 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Putt View Post
Yeah, I'd sit on that hill as well. I really don't think there is anything to this.

It's like back in the day when people said green and blue Cyclones were more OS; I had friends that would only throw green and blue Cyclones because of that. Was it true? I mean maybe? A little? Maybe not? Probably not. I mean if you could throw, you could throw a yellow Cyclone. Any little tiny bit of extra stability you might get from a green Cyclone wasn't going to take you from chump to champ. It was a psychological thing mostly. If throwing a green Cyclone somehow made you more confident, whatever. If digging thorough stacks of discs looking for stiff flight plates makes you think you can throw farther, you do you man.

For me it's just a buncha hooey. There are better features on a disc to be looking at IMO.
Everyone here in SE WI wanted the Black Cyclones and X-Clones because they were "absolutely, positively, without doubt" the more over-stable color to throw...
It sucked at dusk late in the rounds, tough discs to find...some of us would say 3 minutes starting now, while the disc was still in the air because we hated looking for those d@mn discs...

By the way, I threw white Cyclones for the exact opposite reasons, they where "absolutely, positively, without doubt" the most under-stable Cyclones...

Niced: (2)
Old 11-22-2021, 08:38 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Innova63 View Post
Everyone here in SE WI wanted the Black Cyclones and X-Clones because they were "absolutely, positively, without doubt" the more over-stable color to throw...
It sucked at dusk late in the rounds, tough discs to find...some of us would say 3 minutes starting now, while the disc was still in the air because we hated looking for those d@mn discs...

By the way, I threw white Cyclones for the exact opposite reasons, they where "absolutely, positively, without doubt" the most under-stable Cyclones...
I think wherever you went it was "(insert a dark color) are the most OS". The Discraft green back then was a really dark green. Black, Green, Purple, Blue...those were the colors you would hear as being OS.

My go-to Cyclone for years was white because it had a rainbow foil stamp and I thought it looked cool. I found out later it was supposed to be understable. I was pretty new at the time.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 34.1
Courses Played: 5
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 2,373 Times in 1,505 Posts

Oh geez don't go bringing colours in here... that's a whole other hill and a whole other battle.... I swore that was BS and if I ever started believing that then I knew I was too far down the rabbit hole...

Let me tell you how awesome fr white inertia are....and yellow 2nd run esp comets. Haha. I am a believer but now I realize that PLH and dome differences caused by the colour additive is a viable explanation or that one colour might be run at the same time on one particular day..

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 11-23-2021 at 08:11 PM.
Old 11-23-2021, 08:51 PM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 397
Niced 9,263 Times in 3,642 Posts

Yellow discs fly farther, but only when you eat red licorice. All the pros say so.

Old 11-29-2021, 12:49 PM
Par Member

Niced 85 Times in 43 Posts

I BELIEVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i get most distance with stiff DX plastic!
just my opinion of course...

Old 11-29-2021, 07:18 PM
*Super Moderator*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Yellow discs fly farther, but only when you eat red licorice. All the pros say so.
The best Soft X APX are yellow. White is acceptable. Orange is pushing it. All other colors are straight-up trash; only the yellow and white ones have the magic APX glide. I'm not sure why, but I'll die on that hill.