Old 03-12-2018, 04:31 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 10
Courses Played: 162
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,070 Times in 457 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
I actually had heard the park was kicking around the idea of charging to play Toboggan. A higher fee than the regular course, but again rumor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BogeyNoMore View Post
Just ran into Mark Ellis and some guys who play in the Sun Dubs league at Kensington..they confirmed baskets are staying in the ground between the two events.
I am hearing the same thing Bogey is, but I also hear you are correct as well. I heard the baskets will stay in for a month or so and they will be charging to play the course. Again, second hand info but seems to be jiving with what others are hearing.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-12-2018, 05:48 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Niced 8,283 Times in 2,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by esdubya View Post
you are joking, right? A3 hasn't fit that description since 10+ years ago. How many people show up to the weekly singles league at Hudson Mills nowadays?

I haven't been involved in the berth thing in a while since they won't give them to clubs not in Michigan. Maybe eventually we'll open a Detroit branch of the Windsor-Essex DG Club haha. From what I remember there are pretty harsh penalties for failing to follow the 'rules'. So if your club doesn't request them the right way, pay for them and pick them up the right way, and report the winners the right way you could lose access to berths the following year.
I wasn't, but I don't do much as far as leagues with A3. Too bad if something other than golf is diminishing club numbers or berth distribution.
Old 03-16-2018, 11:12 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 33 Times in 20 Posts

This may be in this thread somewhere so apologies if it is, but I was at a Disc Golf Informational Meeting at Waterford Oaks Wednesday night. Oakland County Parks, Huron Clinton Metroparks and DNR were all there. It looks like DNR is putting in 36 holes at Bald Mountain, with the first nine to be available by Memorial Day.

Niced: (3)
Old 03-16-2018, 11:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 39
Courses Played: 266
Niced 8,283 Times in 2,841 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaas View Post
This may be in this thread somewhere so apologies if it is, but I was at a Disc Golf Informational Meeting at Waterford Oaks Wednesday night. Oakland County Parks, Huron Clinton Metroparks and DNR were all there. It looks like DNR is putting in 36 holes at Bald Mountain, with the first nine to be available by Memorial Day.
Good stuff. Having all those entities at the table is pretty cool. I keep holding out hope for the DNR, to get motivated to put in a course on Belle Isle. Each course they invest in seems to be good for that cause.

Who is doing the course design and oversight? Have you seen the area where they are talking about putting the course?
Old 03-16-2018, 12:06 PM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 28.7
Courses Played: 73
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 33 Times in 20 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ru4por View Post
Good stuff. Having all those entities at the table is pretty cool. I keep holding out hope for the DNR, to get motivated to put in a course on Belle Isle. Each course they invest in seems to be good for that cause.

Who is doing the course design and oversight? Have you seen the area where they are talking about putting the course?
I didn't ask who's designing it but got the impression that it was the DNR themselves. Also not sure on where out there, I didn't realize that that property is as big as it is.

Also, almost forgot. The Oakland County folks are looking at a redesign at Addison. No details yet but they have budget approved for the project, and said that minimally they're looking at multiple tees to make it 'championship level' in terms of distance. The doesn't really fit with the current layout though, most of those holes you can't really extend. We'll have to see what comes of that...

Old 03-16-2018, 12:25 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 52.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 824 Times in 344 Posts

It seems to me that I remember the DNR saying a couple years ago that they wanted to install courses at all state parks eventually. They were encouraging people to buy a yearly recreational passport and wanted to have more amenities like disc golf to offer campers. Porcupine Mtns. has one now and Bewabic State Park in Iron county was supposed to be next, at least in the U.P., but I haven't heard any more about it for a while now.

Niced: (3)

Last edited by da Crippler; 03-16-2018 at 12:29 PM.
Old 03-16-2018, 01:38 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 19.1
Courses Played: 49
Niced 480 Times in 321 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by da Crippler View Post
It seems to me that I remember the DNR saying a couple years ago that they wanted to install courses at all state parks eventually. They were encouraging people to buy a yearly recreational passport and wanted to have more amenities like disc golf to offer campers. Porcupine Mtns. has one now and Bewabic State Park in Iron county was supposed to be next, at least in the U.P., but I haven't heard any more about it for a while now.
Yeah, Ionia State Recreational area (state park) has had 24 holes put in over the last two years. Solid course and well worth the extra $10 a year for the Rec Passport.

Niced: (2)
Old 03-17-2018, 11:32 AM
* Ace No More *

Years Playing: 18
Courses Played: 397
Niced 9,263 Times in 3,642 Posts

Quote:
I didn't ask who's designing it but got the impression that it was the DNR themselves. Also not sure on where out there, I didn't realize that that property is as big as it is.
Very glad they want to add a course, but I'd hate to see them squander the opportunity by giving control to people who think they know what they're doing, and end up with something that is some half-assed safety hazard, doesn't make good use of the parcel they've allotted, or doesn't play well. If they aren't hiring a designer, I really hope they at least solicit some input from a local club. Pretty sure Black Ace DG operates in that area. Maybe even Motor City Chain Gang... but I'd be willing to bet that Mark Stephens and John Minicuci are opretty busy getting things ready for USADGC and DGLO.

Quote:
Also, almost forgot. The Oakland County folks are looking at a redesign at Addison. No details yet but they have budget approved for the project, and said that minimally they're looking at multiple tees to make it 'championship level' in terms of distance. The doesn't really fit with the current layout though, most of those holes you can't really extend. We'll have to see what comes of that...
Again, I wonder who they plan to do the redesign.

Last edited by BogeyNoMore; 03-17-2018 at 11:36 AM.
Old 03-24-2018, 09:37 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 108
Niced 3,514 Times in 1,397 Posts

Just played and wrote a review for Winstrom Preserve in Holland. The redesign is a dramatic improvement over what was there before. Good job to whoever designed and installed this beauty. Its a ton of fun to play.

Old 03-28-2018, 10:05 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 52.4
Courses Played: 52
Niced 824 Times in 344 Posts

Just a quick update from the U.P. The grand opening for the Old Town course in Negaunee is scheduled for July 7. I believe they have all the equipment but there's still a lot of work to do.

The Eric McCabe designed Gladstone disc golf course also has received all their equipment and are waiting for the snow to melt, but the club has been very secretive about their plans and all they will say is early summer for opening. I do know it will have red and blue Veteran baskets and the pads will be 7'x5'x12' for the longs and 7'x5'x10 for the shorts. U.P. Mountain Man is also trying to come up with a plan to resurrect The Tailings from the neglect it has suffered.