Old 12-02-2020, 07:24 AM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 54
Niced 60 Times in 40 Posts

Per doubles info Steve West provided, option 1 would be "Best Score" with one player as a team.

Option 2 would also be "Best Score", but definitely an undescribed variation.

"Best Score" name OK, but a sexier more descriptive name still in order. For instance, what is described as "Alternate Throw" by PDGA, we refer to as "Don't Screw Your Partner Doubles".

We just got dumped on with snow, so testing the marathon version may be a couple weeks off. I'm suspecting needing into 3rd round to get a score of 21, miss a hole and gotta play another nine! (@ West Branch Campground DGC)
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2020, 07:35 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,930 Times in 2,282 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billipo View Post

"Best Score" name OK, but a sexier more descriptive name still in order. For instance, what is described as "Alternate Throw" by PDGA, we refer to as "Don't Screw Your Partner Doubles".
I play that, solo, all the time. I'm constantly mad at my previous self for the spots I have to throw out of.

One drawback to "solo best score" would be, just keeping track of shots on higher-par holes, particularly when butchering them. Once people get to 6+ throws on a hole, they have a harder time remembering just how many throws they took. Do that with 2 discs at once -- say, 14 total throws on a par-5 -- and there could be real problems.
Old 12-02-2020, 08:05 AM
Birdie Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post

One drawback to "solo best score" would be, just keeping track of shots on higher-par holes, particularly when butchering them. Once people get to 6+ throws on a hole, they have a harder time remembering just how many throws they took. Do that with 2 discs at once -- say, 14 total throws on a par-5 -- and there could be real problems.
I see this as an event at the kind of course, I described - a 9 hole pitch, putt type course.

At a full course, this format be a true marathon, maybe not even possible except for the most talented and strongest.

For clarification on marathon, I am saying playing the hole as in singles (only one shot from spot until hole completed). Play a hole, then next hole, etc. Keep playing rounds until improving score to for my example 21.

Let's say I have birdied all holes, but #5. I would have to keep playing the course in hole by hole order until I eagled another hole or birdied #5. Miss a birdie putt second round, may have to throw another round.

I see the results to be be described as a hole count. Took 23 holes to get 21. Other players either play until reaching 21, record score at same number of holes, or play until exhaustion.

Sounds daunting, but with posted red par, I can reasonably eagle one par 4, and there are ace opportunities on a couple holes. I step up to three of the holes with full intention to ace them. Hope that provides clarity.

How about "Mega-Uber Hans Solo Birdie Blitz"?

Niced: (1)
Old 12-02-2020, 11:21 AM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.7
Courses Played: 431
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
I see this as an event at the kind of course, I described - a 9 hole pitch, putt type course.

At a full course, this format be a true marathon, maybe not even possible except for the most talented and strongest.

For clarification on marathon, I am saying playing the hole as in singles (only one shot from spot until hole completed). Play a hole, then next hole, etc. Keep playing rounds until improving score to for my example 21.

Let's say I have birdied all holes, but #5. I would have to keep playing the course in hole by hole order until I eagled another hole or birdied #5. Miss a birdie putt second round, may have to throw another round.

I see the results to be be described as a hole count. Took 23 holes to get 21. Other players either play until reaching 21, record score at same number of holes, or play until exhaustion.

Sounds daunting, but with posted red par, I can reasonably eagle one par 4, and there are ace opportunities on a couple holes. I step up to three of the holes with full intention to ace them. Hope that provides clarity.

How about "Mega-Uber Hans Solo Birdie Blitz"?
No matter how easy the course, someone will not be able to hit whatever score you set as a target. You don't want a game that may not ever finish.

Re-playing all the holes with the hope you don't get a worse score than you did before does not sound fun.

You'll also likely get the same winning score (number of holes) from many of the players. Each hole has a lowest-possible-without-a-long-throw-in score, and a lot of different players will get that score. What's the tie-breaker?

At least test it with a few people before scaling it up to a full-size event.

Maybe just let players re-play a certain number of holes of their choice. Like three. They could try for an eagle on that one hole three more times, or erase the bad scores on their worst three holes, or take two extra attempts at getting a good score on one hole and trying to get a better score on another hole.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:50 AM
Birdie Member

Was thinking if some fine tuning but not leading before receiving others input.

Could add CTP on each hole with prizes and use as tie breaker, add mulligans ( less mulligans tie breaker), count metal on drive as ace equivalent, or revise end score, etc.

Remember without trying and not necessarily my best two rounds, I got pretty close when I got the idea. If an event, only one or a few need to accomplish score.

I'd suspect, the success at any course is based on having reachable holes and potential for eagles before the idea would be widespread.

I agree could get boring unless some other adds like CTPs or other embedded performance reward.

Work in progress.
Old 12-02-2020, 11:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 25.6
Courses Played: 127
Niced 5,930 Times in 2,282 Posts

Quote:
Fair enough. I was actually thinking in more general terms, of using doubles formats for singles players, and not the specific event types you outline.
Old 12-07-2020, 05:38 PM
Birdie Member

Instead of testing out the format. starting for scratch. I continued based on the two rounds that I had already thrown to get to 22. In the first two rounds, I had birdied all holes except #1 and #7 with an eagle on #8.

Reached a score of 21 only playing the first hole of third round since I birdied #1. So it took me 19 holes to reach 21. Since I wanted to at least play a round, I aggressively shot the course trying for aces (go for broke). No aces, but I almost deuced #7 chain out which would have given me a score of 20 in 25 holes of play.

Made me think that the for maybe the best option is instead of playing for the set score which could be very quick or very long based on how people played, that 3 rounds would be appropriate length of the event since it is a predictable amount of time and a reasonable amount of throws for someone to get the optimum score.

The winner would be who had the lowest score. Tie breakers for those with same score - 1.) who achieved in the fewest holes. 2.) most overall birdies 3.) most eagles .... other places based on lowest scores and same tie breakers.

To keep interesting for entire event. I would have a CTP for all par 3 holes and an ace pot.

thoughts?
Old 12-07-2020, 07:24 PM
Par Delusionary

Years Playing: 46.7
Courses Played: 431
Niced 2,362 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Instead of testing out the format. starting for scratch. I continued based on the two rounds that I had already thrown to get to 22. In the first two rounds, I had birdied all holes except #1 and #7 with an eagle on #8.

Reached a score of 21 only playing the first hole of third round since I birdied #1. So it took me 19 holes to reach 21. Since I wanted to at least play a round, I aggressively shot the course trying for aces (go for broke). No aces, but I almost deuced #7 chain out which would have given me a score of 20 in 25 holes of play.

Made me think that the for maybe the best option is instead of playing for the set score which could be very quick or very long based on how people played, that 3 rounds would be appropriate length of the event since it is a predictable amount of time and a reasonable amount of throws for someone to get the optimum score.

The winner would be who had the lowest score. Tie breakers for those with same score - 1.) who achieved in the fewest holes. 2.) most overall birdies 3.) most eagles .... other places based on lowest scores and same tie breakers.

To keep interesting for entire event. I would have a CTP for all par 3 holes and an ace pot.

thoughts?
Lowest score for any contiguous nine?

Example: [Holes 3-9 round 1] plus [holes 1&2 round 2]?

Or [Holes 6,7,8 round 3] and [1-5 round 1]?
Old 12-07-2020, 10:13 PM
Tiny White Balls

Years Playing: 37.1
Courses Played: 2
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 205 Times in 127 Posts

The best way to improve your game is to play a worst shot scramble. You always throw from your worst position of the two shots and you have to make two putts to finish the hole.

Old 12-07-2020, 10:36 PM
.:Hall of Fame Member:.

Years Playing: 31.8
Courses Played: 712
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,856 Times in 1,191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgolfconvert View Post
The best way to improve your game is to play a worst shot scramble. You always throw from your worst position of the two shots and you have to make two putts to finish the hole.
Tough Shot is a bit more fun. Play Worst Shot but when you're in, you're in, i.e., ony need to make one putt.