Old 08-11-2016, 01:11 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking And so it begins...

I'm 56 years old - have thrown Frisbee since I was a kid, and throw pretty well. I like throwing things! Disc golf, is a whole new thing, though - and I'm finding my old Frisbee skills do not translate so much into playing well on the disc golf course.

I've watched the videos on driving. Sprained my ankle trying to do it. Not a great dancer either So I have been driving from a stationary position, with no x-step, or run-up, or anything.

I need to get out and exercise, and walking around throwing things is WAY more fun than just plain old walking around. I have an excellent Disc Golf course near where I work (I geocommute to southern MD, the course is in La Plata), and a some nice courses in Norfolk, my home base. So I have been going more often, despite not setting the world on fire.

Initially went to Pembroke Mall at VABEEVA, and the really nice man at the England Store helped me make disc choices from a large selection of Inova discs. I like to see and handle the goods, so I'll probably stick to that brand. I started out with 2 discs - An R-Pro Wahoo (it FLOATS!), and a JK Pro Aviar-X. I have since added a Starlite Sidewinder, and a Stardart. I especially like the Sidewinder, it is fluorescent orange, and thus easy to find after I throw it off into the weeds. I laughed (and cried a little) when I see people discussing throwing 300'+ because I am starting to achieve over 100 feet on a somewhat consistent basis - but usually not straight. My oddball throwing style consistently arcs left, and now that I'm throwing a bit farther, fades right if it hasn't run into a tree before then. I have recently been driving both long distance discs off each tee (my own private version of "Best Ball") - the Sidewinder consistently goes longer for me, and with more consistency. Still a lot of cruddy crash and burn throws, though. Oh, and I stupidly lob it high, so my release is likely all wrong, too. Once in a while I keep it low and then the throw looks and feels SO good! My best throw is probably not much over 150', though, so nothing to brag about here.

I usually do better on the putting - use the Stardart exclusively, don't like the other putter very much, but can't say why. Except that it just doesn't go into the basket for me.

Because my drives are so all over the map, and I guess because of my previous life with Frisbees, I sometimes do some amazing throws to get myself out of really bad spots. I'm sorry this is so long, but I am contemplating another visit to the nice disc merchant tomorrow - and wonder if anyone has some guidance on 1 or 2 Inova discs I should consider. I don't want to be one of those folks with a big manbag with 79 discs in it. I'm not a man, and I have to haul a purse around the rest of my life, no desire to do so at the DG course. I cart my three discs with me, and enjoy traveling light.

I do hope to try the x-step again, wearing some hiking boots with better ankle support (and hope I don't do a face plant on the tee pad!).

Also, why do I NEVER see other women out on the course?!? I am literally the only female I see at both the MD and VA courses I play! And is there hope for me?
Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2016, 02:05 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 7.4
Courses Played: 131
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 661 Times in 300 Posts

Welcome to the forums and the plastic addiction!

Personally not a big fan of the Wahoo myself so my advice would be to leave that one at home for now. If you opt to go shopping again and like Innova then your best bet is snagging a DX Leopard or two, maybe one in the 150-160 range and one 160-170. IMO one of the best discs Innova makes not to mention there is a reason they put in the beginner pack as it is easy to throw.

Given your frisbee background maybe adding a neutral midrange like the Mako or Mako3 would give you a somewhat similar feel in the hand.

After that hit an open field and let them fly or keep doing your "best ball" style and throw them all off the pad. Sidewinder, Leopard, Mako and the Dart. Keep on having fun and trying to throw them at various release angles to get a feel or what works and what doesn't. And don't fear the trees as they do a great job of knocking off the newness of those discs. They tend to fly a better when they get beat up and scratched up from lots of use. Enjoy!
Old 08-11-2016, 03:27 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 53
Niced 320 Times in 191 Posts

I agree with the Leopard and Mako recommendation. I'm 51, relative newbie and have a pretty tough time with the Wahoo. you could easily play a round with these two discs.
Old 08-11-2016, 03:36 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 318
Niced 403 Times in 183 Posts

Welcome to the addiction!
Frisbee guy here from the 70's, didn't start disc golfing until 2011 at age 50. I'm still pretty proud of my upshot and putting skills (that translate pretty well from Frisbee). I went down the road of trying every high speed, beveled edge disc I could, hoping for the magic to suddenly start producing 300' throws, but I think what most folks say is correct: you'll improve your form quickest with midranges and putters anyway.
Innova has a great selection of discs, but don't be afraid of trying other brands, too. Putters are just up to what feels best for you. Discraft has two of the best mids out there in the Comet and the Buzzz. Innova may have one of the best fairway drivers in the Teebird, and I like the feel of Latitude 64's River to complement it. Happy to say I can get those mids out to 250'+ and the fairways over 300' now by playing. A lot.
Mostly, find a routine that makes you smile every day you play, and keep flinging those things, and the form and distance will get better and better!
Old 08-11-2016, 03:42 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Tahank you for the confirmation!

Even more than that, thanks for letting me know it's not just me! The Wahoo seemed like a smart buy, because one course I play at has a long hole with water on both sides - it's almost inevitable you'll end up in the water there! So having a floater seemed like a great idea. But I really can't seem to work with it most of the time.

From reading other posts, at this stage I was also maybe overshooting my skill level with a distance driver, assuming I would be better than I am, just because I've thrown the larger discs for so long.

First time I played years ago, the guy who invited me loaned me two of his discs. And I beat him. I didn't play again until recently, but probably was a little overconfident based on my "beginner's luck".

However, I really do like playing, even if I'm not good (yet?). I don't understand all the terminology, but it's really challenging, and I think I have good instincts, just need to work on my form to get more distance (and consistent aim on the long shots). And it makes me get off my duff!
Old 08-11-2016, 03:51 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.9
Courses Played: 5
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't take this the wrong way, but being 56 and playing disc golf is absolutely awesome, congrats and keep at it. I actually just got my Dad into the sport who is of similar age, very active life style and threw lids his whole life. I bought him a few starter disc that has helped with his consistency, granted he is throwing 150 or so but he has dialed it in and is very consistent.

I would recommend the following disc:

Fairway Driver: Innova DX Leopard (160-170g)
Mid Range: Discraft Buzzz (170's)
Putter: Dynamic Disc Classic Judge (170's)

Disclaimer: Putter's are very subjective, I bought my dad a judge and he liked it a lot due it feeling similar to a traditional frisbee. He started off with an Aviar and struggled, upon using the judge he is very consistent. He my not make the shot be he is always hitting metal, which is way better than what I was doing 2 months in..He's made a few out of circle shots that have pressured me to make my shots lol.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:23 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.1
Courses Played: 83
Niced 320 Times in 217 Posts

Great post sir.

I second the dx Leopard and Mako recommendation. Keep throwing the sidewinder if you like it but it's a little bit too fast of a driver for you now to go straight at all. You will really enjoy a dx Leopard. It will still curve a lot for you but you will likely see improvement much quicker when you do happen to hit those good line drive throws.

Also, don't be in any hurry to incorporate an x-step. Unless your timing is really good it is not likely to gain you much distance and will likely make your throws more wild and inconsistent. Work on consistent clean level line drive throws from a standstill with good weight transfer and you will progress much faster and develop a more solid foundation for the long run.
Old 08-11-2016, 04:46 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 3.7
Courses Played: 32
Niced 146 Times in 105 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyzenberg View Post
Don't take this the wrong way, but being 56 and playing disc golf is absolutely awesome, congrats and keep at it. I actually just got my Dad into the sport who is of similar age, very active life style and threw lids his whole life. I bought him a few starter disc that has helped with his consistency, granted he is throwing 150 or so but he has dialed it in and is very consistent.

I would recommend the following disc:

Fairway Driver: Innova DX Leopard (160-170g)
Mid Range: Discraft Buzzz (170's)
Putter: Dynamic Disc Classic Judge (170's)

Disclaimer: Putter's are very subjective, I bought my dad a judge and he liked it a lot due it feeling similar to a traditional frisbee. He started off with an Aviar and struggled, upon using the judge he is very consistent. He my not make the shot be he is always hitting metal, which is way better than what I was doing 2 months in..He's made a few out of circle shots that have pressured me to make my shots lol.
These are great recommendations! I still use my Buzzz and Judge every round. I started with a Leopard but moved on up in speed after a while. As a former sub sailor, nice to see someone from Norfolk, my sea duty port for my entire career!
Old 08-11-2016, 05:32 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 4.5
Courses Played: 15
Niced 464 Times in 281 Posts

Like has been suggested, the leopard would be a great one to try. The only thing I'll add is don't fall for the trap of thinking premium plastic is better in all situations. I personally think DX is great, and a DX teebird is worth checking out as well. Some discs I prefer in DX that others like in premium and vice versa. Go with what feels good when you pick it up.

Also if you want that frisbee feel, zephyrs are super fun to throw, and just float right on out there.

Old 08-11-2016, 09:52 PM
Birdie Member

Years Playing: 8.2
Courses Played: 80
Niced 50 Times in 22 Posts

Welcome and good luck from Upper Michigan!