Old 11-09-2009, 08:21 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic
Default Disc Golf Physics

I know there are a few threads on this topic but have been wondering a few things and am too lazy to dig thru the archives..
I want to know what physical properties of a disc actually affect the following:

Glide-I am guessing has to do with surface area of flight plate? and is there a relationship with glide and fade...seems the more glide the slower the end of flight and thus more fade? (think ROC)

Stability/overstable/understable- I get how more weight affects this and also how the more weight at outside of disc affects this but my confusion comes with lighter discs that are not monster thick rimmed yet still perform with greater stability.....again is there a relationship with other characteristics and stability.

Speed-I understand throwing discs at proper speeds to enhance performance and how throwing slower enables greater control and thus low speed drivers are preferrable for accuracy shots and often these turn and have more airtime than higher speed discs thus the valkyrie and wraith distance records over anything by a boss, groove, etc...(to date) but what actually affects speed rating I am guessing it is just the density of material at the outer edge of the disc that makes the revolutions of the disc create more inertia to the left of a rhbh thrower vs the initial pull of the drive that slings the disc to turn right....

Again I am not engineer and my thinking may be flawed but understanding what my discs have been doing upon release has improved my game more than any technique seminar on youtube...I find this forum to have been the most educated and helpful amongst anything out there...I have a million other questions but will try to limit to this for now..Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Old 11-09-2009, 08:45 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.4
Courses Played: 156
Niced 11 Times in 10 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to optidiscic

Really interested in what visible characteristics can tell me about how a disc may fly? I see pros look at a disc and inspect it and they can tell me how it will fly? WTF! Would help especially when buying discs I would think.
Old 11-09-2009, 08:51 PM
Birdie Member

Courses Played: 28
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to discgolphinmafaukner

Here is a very helpful thread. Diagrams and everything!
Old 11-10-2009, 08:10 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 390
Niced 19 Times in 6 Posts

I'm sure glide has a lot to do with size of flight plate but I can say for certain that dominess of the flight plate (which I imagine adds glide...look at the Innova Aero) makes a disc more understable.

I can say for certain that rim thickness equates to speed. Each faster driver's rim is a millimeter or two wider than the "slower" disc which came out before it.

Stability has much to do with spin. If you throw an understable disc without tons of spin it will simply fly straight in many cases. If you throw an overstable disc with tons of spin it should turn over.

Checkout Vibram's explanation of their disc's flight numbers. I think this may shed some light.
http://www.vibramdiscgolf.com/ratings.html

I certainly don't have all the answers but I hope this bit helps..a bit.
Old 11-10-2009, 10:28 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 12.3
Courses Played: 18
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 8 Times in 8 Posts

Wow, that old thread is a rich resource for the physics of a disc's flight. I also notice how much better Omega's grammar, or at least his typing, has gotten.

One little factoid that some of y'all might find interesting is that golf balls weren't originally created with dimples. Some time back in the day, though, people started to notice that the older, more beat up golf balls tended to fly farther. This has something to do with air flow around surface of the ball, but they didn't need to know all the math to realize they could start manufacturing balls with dimples to bypass the beating-in process. I figure it's the same reason that Quest dimples their discs. Point being that dimples are the sports equivalent of factory-weathered jeans.

Old 11-10-2009, 11:12 AM
*Moderator*

Years Playing: 13.4
Courses Played: 390
Niced 19 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis View Post
Wow, that old thread is a rich resource for the physics of a disc's flight. I also notice how much better Omega's grammar, or at least his typing, has gotten.
Superb use of "gotten" to illustrate your example of poor English.

I missed that old thread. Thanks so much for reposting the link.