Old 10-31-2011, 10:54 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Vibram Plastic??

So I searched all over but I still do not have a good idea of what the vibram plastics are like.
Could someone give some comparisons to other plastics on the market? or Better yet make a video of the different plastics being manipulated? hahaha
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2011, 10:57 PM

Years Playing: 14.1
Courses Played: 135
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

http://youtu.be/Xlv5HlAfUx0
Old 10-31-2011, 11:01 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,088 Times in 731 Posts

rubber.
Old 10-31-2011, 11:03 PM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

What are your opinions on the Firm X-link vs. reg. X-link for the drivers?
Old 10-31-2011, 11:07 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 10.9
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aim For The Chains View Post
rubber.
this
Old 10-31-2011, 11:08 PM
FROLF OFF!

Years Playing: 11.1
Courses Played: 134
Niced 1,088 Times in 731 Posts

http://webcache.googleusercontent.co...&ct=clnk&gl=us

X-Link
The X-Link material is a unique rubber-based compound which resists scuffs, has incredible durability and unequaled grip. Additionally, X-Link has a stronger memory than any disc currently on the market, so if you do manage to bend it out of shape, in all likelihood, it will work its way back.
X-Link Firm
X-Link Firm is a rubber-based compound which is based on Vibram’s X-Link. It is a special blend designed to maximize the firmness of the disc while maintaining as much of the grip and durability that is found in the base X-Link material. Over 50 formulations were tested in the creation of X-Link Firm to create its optimal performance.
X-Link Soft
X-Link Soft is a niche rubber-based compound. This material is the closest to pure rubber of Vibram’s three materials. In the putter line, this material flies well and will hit and stick, minimizing deflections. It also works well as a learning tool as the floppy material performs best when proper form is used. Note: Due to X-Link Soft being almost pure rubber, this material will dry and crack if left in direct sunlight for an extended period of time.

X-Link Soft is a special run that is only made once a year, usually in late September, early October. Make sure to ask your local retailer to order some X-Link Soft discs for you so you can get your hands on this limited version of X-Link.

As James Cordes once told me, "X-Link Soft: It's like a having a car that parks itself."
Old 11-01-2011, 08:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 175
Niced 116 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobiker View Post
What are your opinions on the Firm X-link vs. reg. X-link for the drivers?
Like any debate between different grades of plastics/ rubber, you are going to find people who like one or the other as well as finding pros and cons for each.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Firm because it chews up far easier than the X-Link. That does not mean it is not durable, it is just less durable than meduim X-Link. Take this with a grain of salt as it is personal experience only, but my Firm Ascents went from overstable one week to wicked understable the next; it was night and day within a week. The medium Ascents I have, as well as all the Vibrams I carry in medium, have not changed a single bit in stability since the day I purchased them.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:18 AM

Niced 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by smarkquart View Post
Like any debate between different grades of plastics/ rubber, you are going to find people who like one or the other as well as finding pros and cons for each.

Personally, I am not a fan of the Firm because it chews up far easier than the X-Link. That does not mean it is not durable, it is just less durable than meduim X-Link. Take this with a grain of salt as it is personal experience only, but my Firm Ascents went from overstable one week to wicked understable the next; it was night and day within a week. The medium Ascents I have, as well as all the Vibrams I carry in medium, have not changed a single bit in stability since the day I purchased them.
Makes sense. From what I read in different threads, I was afraid that the regular X-link would be to flexible in hand.
How stiff is the rim of the Ascent in X-link rubber?

Old 11-01-2011, 09:54 AM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 175
Niced 116 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yobiker View Post
Makes sense. From what I read in different threads, I was afraid that the regular X-link would be to flexible in hand.
How stiff is the rim of the Ascent in X-link rubber?
In the drivers, the medium still does not have the give you would see in the Softs or Discraft's FLX plastic. It is plenty hard, easy enough to get a firm grip and have a confident snap. In all honesty, in a blind taste test I probably could not tell the difference between the Firms and Mediums based upon a quick feel. If you gave me some time and allowed me to try to bend it a little, maybe I could tell the difference. Otherwise, I cannot tell the difference until its gets a little roughed up.

In the summer, FLX plastic actually gets a little soft and you can feel some of its floppiness. FLX really only does well in the winter. Vibram's Medium, however, seemed to have no real issue in performance or grip no matter what the season. As mentioned earlier, however, I would not leave them out in direct sunlight for extended periods of time.

I have not had the pleasure of trying out the Super Firms yet.