Old 03-02-2019, 12:47 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,458 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystal haze View Post
Ive got a nice couple of birds in the bag:

Seasoned star for stable to slightly flippy
Champ for reliable forward fade

Ive got a couple I havent broken in yet. Can you tell me how they should fly. Im not sure how to distinguish their run. Can you tell me how the following might compare to each other?

DX
Champ glow (threw it twice and seemed understable)
Star AJ 2009
I haven't thrown many DX, but they are very glidey and good...if you play courses that aren't too rocky then consider trying it out. Expect less stable flights almost like an FD, but they carry like crazy. I haven't thrown one for a while, but the DX Teebird is one of the longest speed 7 discs I've thrown.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2019, 01:31 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 210 Times in 120 Posts

Looking for a stable fairway driver to pair with my FD. Im not a fan of current star or champ teebirds. Im looking at AB metal flake t3, last years Heimburg glow t3, and the pearly champ teebirds at DGU. Has anyone had any experience with the aforementioned and can comment on flight/feel. Im currently using a thunderbird in this slot but I only throw 325 average and it doesnt feel great for forehand either so I thought maybe a teebird would be better.
Old 03-22-2019, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 195 Times in 103 Posts

What weight and plastic fd you throwing?

Reason I ask is if you want something similar but a bit more overstable Id maybe look at the infinite discs exodus. Feels similar to an fd, and especially if youre throwing a lighter weight fd a heavier exodus I think will get you what youre looking for.

Niced: (1)
Old 03-22-2019, 06:21 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 210 Times in 120 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post

Reason I ask is if you want something similar but a bit more overstable Id maybe look at the infinite discs exodus. Feels similar to an fd, and especially if youre throwing a lighter weight fd a heavier exodus I think will get you what youre looking for.
Ive tried multiple FDs before I settled on my current one which is a 167g c-line 6th run. Im basically looking for something to throw in headwinds that will feel more comfortable in a forehand grip and slightly more resistant to oat. Ive heard the exodus is the eagle-l mold, which Ive seen compared to FDs. What plastic would you recommend and how flat are they?
Old 03-22-2019, 06:23 PM
Salient Disc Test Team

Years Playing: 14.4
Courses Played: 214
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 1,255 Times in 629 Posts

The Exodus is the Eagle-L, right? The little I've thrown one, I've been damn impressed. They get flexy.
Old 03-22-2019, 07:50 PM
Snowflake

Courses Played: 8
Niced 1,921 Times in 1,440 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dehaas View Post

I second that recommendation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponder View Post
Ive tried multiple FDs before I settled on my current one which is a 167g c-line 6th run. Im basically looking for something to throw in headwinds that will feel more comfortable in a forehand grip and slightly more resistant to oat. Ive heard the exodus is the eagle-l mold, which Ive seen compared to FDs. What plastic would you recommend and how flat are they?
Mine is in S-blend, which is good. They now have Exoduses (Exodii?) in S-blend, I-blend, and C-blend. You might try the C-blend as your OS compliment to the FD.

I also like the Jen Allen Teebird and a lighter weight Champion Banshee for that role.
Old 03-22-2019, 10:22 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 92
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 195 Times in 103 Posts

6th run c lines are probably my favorite fd. I prefer something with an “L” type bottom wing to flick, feels like they come off the hand cleaner. The exodus I bag is a high 160s s line, fairly similar to a 6th run fd. I haven’t thrown a c line exodus but I believe the reports were them being decently beefy although not overly flat. Maybe hit up infinite and try to get set up with a flatter color in a bit heavier weight.

Might be a bit overstable for what you’re looking for, but the original run c fd2 had some orange ones in the 160s that were flat and kinda gummy. Beefier than a teebird but not quite banshee overstable. Flat bottom wing, super comfy flick disc.

Quote:
I’ve tried multiple FDs before I settled on my current one which is a 167g c-line 6th run. I’m basically looking for something to throw in headwinds that will feel more comfortable in a forehand grip and slightly more resistant to oat. I’ve heard the exodus is the eagle-l mold, which I’ve seen compared to FDs. What plastic would you recommend and how flat are they?
Old 03-23-2019, 12:03 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 2,458 Times in 1,563 Posts

Quote:
Looking for a stable fairway driver to pair with my FD. Im not a fan of current star or champ teebirds. Im looking at AB metal flake t3, last years Heimburg glow t3, and the pearly champ teebirds at DGU. Has anyone had any experience with the aforementioned and can comment on flight/feel. Im currently using a thunderbird in this slot but I only throw 325 average and it doesnt feel great for forehand either so I thought maybe a teebird would be better.
Honestly the Thunderbird is still a good choice here.

If you want more wind resistance than the FD and a more OS line, then you really need to increase in stability. The Teebirds that are fun to throw at your power and that will go as far as an FD will be ones that have a hint of turn/push to their HSS, so they will fly like you want in calm but they will not be true wind fighters. If you go up to a beefier Teebird that handles wind well, you'll likely lose a good 20' compared to your FD. The Thunderbird is a compromise where it has more speed so it will get closer to your FD distance, but the problem is it does have a bigger sweeping fade especially if you can't power it 330+ to really hold it on a laser line. However, if you keep it low to the ground it will finish more like a Teebird, and it is also nearly immune to wind if you have clean releases. I FH it HARD into wind and don't worry at all.

You can also check out the CD2, it's like a beat in Thunderbird where it has the ability to turn and the fade is a little mellowed out. At your power it may be a better combination of stability with good carry. Plus you still have the Thunderbird for really windy situations. But if you don't like the Thunderbird grip I don't know if you'll like the CD2 any more.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:07 AM
Par Member

Niced 58 Times in 29 Posts

I have a Metal Flake Teebird, and it is my first TeeBird. I have a pretty decent arm speed, but this thing is a meathook! Is that typical for Metal Flake, or do I have an anomaly? I honestly have an easier time keep my destroyers flat than this Teebird...

Old 03-23-2019, 04:31 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.2
Courses Played: 32
Niced 457 Times in 278 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaxFlight View Post
I have a Metal Flake Teebird, and it is my first TeeBird. I have a pretty decent arm speed, but this thing is a meathook! Is that typical for Metal Flake, or do I have an anomaly? I honestly have an easier time keep my destroyers flat than this Teebird...
Metal Flakes are often the more os of any mold. I've got a 168g Glow Champion Teebird that is super os right now because I haven't used it much. I even bought a 159g Star that is crazy os. Can't go wrong with them.