Old 09-14-2019, 11:29 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 15.4
Courses Played: 87
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,822 Times in 740 Posts
Default Flex start rules?

So is there some guidance from the PDGA about flex start events? I've got a group of people who are whining about the start time I have picked for a league. I do not have the time to sit at the course for 6 hours and wait for players to com trickling in for cards of three. So, is it possible to have a flex start with no league director on site and have the players submit cards later? I'm guessing not since there's just no practical way for them to get their scorecards to me other than electronically. Just wondering if there is any guidance from the PDGA on this.
Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2019, 03:40 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 47.9
Courses Played: 60
Niced 372 Times in 206 Posts

Look at how ball golfers do it locally. In my locale I know 70+ year olds that submit team scores online every every week with no issues.
Old 09-15-2019, 08:31 PM
Par Member

Niced 103 Times in 69 Posts

Yeah there are local leagues that have scores submitted via text/photo of a card. If you are trying to do a PDGA sanctioned league, not sure how that would change things
Old 09-15-2019, 08:57 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDSM View Post
Look at how ball golfers do it locally. In my locale I know 70+ year olds that submit team scores online every every week with no issues.
For a PDGA sanctioned league I am responsible for getting the scores uploaded within 24 hours of completion of the last round. I guarantee I am not getting all the scores within 24 hours or if I do, I'll be at work or something the next day with no opportunity to enter them very likely missing the 24 hour window now and then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sethamphetamine View Post
Yeah there are local leagues that have scores submitted via text/photo of a card. If you are trying to do a PDGA sanctioned league, not sure how that would change things
That's precisely what I am trying to find out.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 22
Courses Played: 151
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 3,838 Times in 1,583 Posts

I would imagine given all the other ways in which the PDGA loosens some of its rules and requirements for sanctioned leagues, they're probably okay with however you set up a flex start league.

That said, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do anything with the league that would hinder your ability to run it and meet your obligations. If you don't trust electronic submissions (reasonable), and you don't have the time or inclination to sit at the course for six hours or whatever (also reasonable), I see no reason for you to do a flex start.

To me, the first rule of scheduling a league or tournament is the date(s) and time(s) should work for the league or tournament director. If you can't, for example, do Tuesdays from 5-8, it makes no sense at all for you to run a league on that day at that time. If more people want Tuesday from 5-8 than don't, then one of those people should step up and run the league on that day at that time, not ask you to do it.

Old 09-15-2019, 10:08 PM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JC17393 View Post
I would imagine given all the other ways in which the PDGA loosens some of its rules and requirements for sanctioned leagues, they're probably okay with however you set up a flex start league.

That said, if I were in your shoes, I wouldn't do anything with the league that would hinder your ability to run it and meet your obligations. If you don't trust electronic submissions (reasonable), and you don't have the time or inclination to sit at the course for six hours or whatever (also reasonable), I see no reason for you to do a flex start.

To me, the first rule of scheduling a league or tournament is the date(s) and time(s) should work for the league or tournament director. If you can't, for example, do Tuesdays from 5-8, it makes no sense at all for you to run a league on that day at that time. If more people want Tuesday from 5-8 than don't, then one of those people should step up and run the league on that day at that time, not ask you to do it.
I want to nice this post more than once.

Thanks for saying exactly how I feel about the situation.