Old 07-04-2017, 08:57 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.2
Courses Played: 86
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 63 Times in 30 Posts

I can't say I really pay much attention to how far out my elbow is, but if I saw a video of myself I'm sure it's not real close to my torso. I've always thought the "elbow in" mentality was feedback to give noobs who are throwing the disc with their arm and shoulder as opposed using your hips to sling the disc forward. Not that "elbow in" is the end all fix, but if you're thinking about it more than likely you're going to get some hip rotation in your throw if you want to get your disc moving forward.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-05-2017, 01:59 AM

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 42
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deyo7 View Post
But I suppose Stokely's FH clinic takes the cake on the elbow not in mantra:

Elbow forward, not in. There. Three favorites in one thread. I'll stop embedding videos now.
I think it's important to note that in this clinic Stokley actually says a couple times that the elbow should be in as it passes the body. The real problem, which he also mentions, is when it's misconstrued as "elbow in" for the entire throwing motion. This would include the backswing and follow through..... So "elbow in" isn't entirely a bad thing. It seems like some of the commenters here may have written it off entirely.

When I was trying to develop my sidearm, I used Ricky and Big Germ as form models to emulate, feeling that they were two of the best sidearm pros. They're really very different where "elbow in" is concerned. Big Germ has a more upright stance and his elbow is very tight to his body as it passes and Ricky's elbow is pretty wide and his upper body is closer to a 45 degree angle to the ground.

I ended up getting better control and consistency using Germ's form for driving on hyzers, hyzer flips, and flat shots. Anhyzers and flex shots are thrown elbow out for me. Anyway that just my experience so far with it. Thanks to all the gurus, form analyzers, and commenters for helping me make some leaps ahead with my form.

Concerning the original post...agree on shifting from behind for sidearm....I sort of started out doing it naturally. When I started focusing on it more I did see a jump in distance.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg stokleyhyzer.jpg (149.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg GermSidearm.jpg (143.3 KB, 76 views)
File Type: jpg RickySidearm.jpg (91.6 KB, 76 views)

Niced: (1)
Old 07-18-2017, 11:39 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 62
Niced 45 Times in 33 Posts

I do write off "elbow in" entirely. Getting your elbow forward will get it in when it needs to be.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:29 AM
Par Member

Years Playing: 3.8
Courses Played: 9
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 22 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
I do write off "elbow in" entirely. Getting your elbow forward will get it in when it needs to be.
This is exactly what I learned to do. I focus on where my elbow needs to be in relation to my hit point. I focus on cleanly driving my body around and getting my elbow first to that point, and as long as I keep the disc on the proper angle everything else falls into place.
Old 08-21-2017, 10:23 PM

Years Playing: 6
Courses Played: 42
Niced 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Ensor View Post
Smart-ass question: How can you start a sentence by saying you "write off elbow in entirely" and end by saying "will get it (elbow) in when it needs to be"? lol

Serious questions: When does it need to be? Does your elbow come closer to the body on hyzers? Further away on anhyzers?

I think I get what you're saying from your above post and I agree. I should have also mentioned that I employ elbow forward on all my sidearms to a degree. For full power sidearm drives, I dont use "Elbow-In" as a mantra, but it does occur more for me on certain throws (hyzer, flat shots) to get consistent control of the disk. It's not glued to my hip but I concentrate on keeping it tight and "linking" it momentarily to my torso as it's torquing around.

Personally elbow out feels a little more powerful, and certainly more natural, to me. The issue I run into, if I'm not careful, is rolling my wrist and turning over the disc on those shots (talking full power). And it's not the complete noob sidearm turnover. I'm past that stage. I just have to be way more careful and it's less consistent when the elbow move away from my body. I'm open to suggestions.

Old 08-21-2017, 10:39 PM
Sophomore

Years Playing: 7.8
Courses Played: 62
Niced 45 Times in 33 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPC2000 View Post
Smart-ass question: How can you start a sentence by saying you "write off elbow in entirely" and end by saying "will get it (elbow) in when it needs to be"? lol

Serious questions: When does it need to be? Does your elbow come closer to the body on hyzers? Further away on anhyzers?

I think I get what you're saying from your above post and I agree. I should have also mentioned that I employ elbow forward on all my sidearms to a degree. For full power sidearm drives, I dont use "Elbow-In" as a mantra, but it does occur more for me on certain throws (hyzer, flat shots) to get consistent control of the disk. It's not glued to my hip but I concentrate on keeping it tight and "linking" it momentarily to my torso as it's torquing around.

Personally elbow out feels a little more powerful, and certainly more natural, to me. The issue I run into, if I'm not careful, is rolling my wrist and turning over the disc on those shots (talking full power). And it's not the complete noob sidearm turnover. I'm past that stage. I just have to be way more careful and it's less consistent when the elbow move away from my body. I'm open to suggestions.
It's like "pivot on your heel". I've written that one off too. I'll never tell anyone either of those things. Not because they don't happen, but because focusing on doing either will cause you to do them at the wrong time. "Elbow forward" will force your elbow to be in as your elbow passes your body. A proper weight shift will cause a heel pivot. The reverse is not true. In many cases, it causes bad habits to be cemented.

Read my sig. You can't tell your body to get your elbow in with good enough timing. Getting your elbow forward is much more manageable, because it happens for nearly the entire duration of the throw. Conversation after conversation to know that your body didn't do the right things. Drill after drill to keep the body from needing instruction during the throw.

Out, in, out is what you want. That creates mechanical advantage from a "reverse R lever" . . .

Last edited by Dan Ensor; 08-21-2017 at 10:43 PM.