Old 07-15-2018, 09:17 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.6
Courses Played: 125
Niced 3,633 Times in 1,570 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
What were/are those 3 events in SC? In know Earlewood has been going for awhile.
When I began, there were 2 courses in S.C.---Winthrop (Lakefront) and Earlewood. Earlewood had 2 tournaments a year, March & November, that pretty much bookended the tournament season, and Winthrop had a regular summer tournament.

Disc golf was so small that for a while, we played Earlewood every day, mostly by ourselves, and it didn't even occur to us that there were other courses anywhere. Later, we would make day trips to Augusta (PK, Riverview), Atlanta (Redan), Charlotte (Kilbourne, Reedy Creek), and Burlington (Cedar rock).

In almost every way, the disc golf world is better now, from its growth. I'm not, but that's another story. We don't have courses to ourselves, of course, and erosion from foot traffic is now an issue. Plus, we don't have quite the feeling of a far-flung family; I don't know a lot of people from the Atlanta or Raleigh disc golf worlds anymore. And, with more than 3 events a year, the calendar has become crowded and it's tougher to add any.

And I can't just go to AmWorlds by signing up, anymore. Invitations have gone from a formality to a necessity.

I favor growth at all levels---more players, more courses (particularly, more courses), more private courses, more tournaments to choose from, more players to fill them, more kids playing, more pros sustaining a tour, more videos, more publicity, all of it. I'll take the growing pains if I can have the growth.

I don't care to watch videos, myself, and don't have ESPN, but this little feature was a nice little piece of that growth. The more people who recognize disc golf, and have a favorable opinion of it, the easier growing all those other things becomes.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)

Last edited by DavidSauls; 07-15-2018 at 09:19 AM.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:30 AM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 24.8
Courses Played: 4
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 206 Times in 144 Posts

couldn't have said it any better myself

Old 07-15-2018, 09:53 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.2
Courses Played: 46
Niced 4,475 Times in 1,878 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
When I began, there were 2 courses in S.C.---Winthrop (Lakefront) and Earlewood. Earlewood had 2 tournaments a year, March & November, that pretty much bookended the tournament season, and Winthrop had a regular summer tournament.
This blows my mind a little. I would really like to learn more about SC Disc Golf history as someone fairly new to it (started around 2010-2011).
Old 07-15-2018, 10:13 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streets View Post
This blows my mind a little. I would really like to learn more about SC Disc Golf history as someone fairly new to it (started around 2010-2011).
Another thread....or come visit Stoney Hill and we'll talk. 2 of my brothers and I were sort of second-generation here; about a half-dozen people in Columbia that we knew of, and Harold Duvall in Rock Hill, had a few years on us.
Old 07-15-2018, 10:14 AM
* Ace Member *

In that mini-epic on growth, I left out DGCR. Like your grandparents talking about days before TV, we lived in days before DGCR. Oh, the hardships!

Old 07-15-2018, 10:43 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

It shows you what folks can do. When I started in Houston, almost as long ago as David, there was already this hugely vibrant community. But we had Andi Lehmann, Neal Dambra pdga #200, Dave Nezbitt #13707, Jeff Moore #9763, Conrad Joe #7357, Larry Kruze #17545, and others running events here, and there were even older members who had left the community (and I'm sure I've forgotten others who deserve recognition). That is in part because of the long-term efforts of John Houck, contemporary of Harold Duvall, who'd been promoting disc golf in Texas for a long time at that point. I always think highly of John, for his efforts, his manners, and his love of disc sports.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:15 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 145
Niced 321 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSauls View Post
it didn't even occur to us that there were other courses anywhere.
Yep, same deal for me. No internet for the first 7 years I played, so everything was based on word of mouth and watching others play. Only knew about the one course in my hometown. There were a handful of others I saw at the course once in awhile and they were as clueless as me. I remember seeing an Aerobie stuck in a tree that stayed up there all year. PDGA #315 was in his sixties at the time and only threw a "chicken wing" throw that didn't go 150 feet, so he wasn't much help when it came to demonstrating how to throw. (He had the COOLEST old Discs, though!!)

I wouldn't learn how to properly throw a Disc until moving to a more populated area that had a club with experienced players (the Capital City Renegades in Lansing, MI. led by J-Bird himself). Lived there for a whole entire year before I learned there was even a course and that's because a coworker's boyfriend casually mentioned it one day. We decided to go play (it was Grand Woods Park in its early heyday), so I took my Aviar Putter and 1992 Doubles Stingray and away we went. I was very proud of my 150'-ish straight forehand I could throw with that Stingray! He only had a beaten-up Cyclone he had found. The girlfriend watched.

Later that spring, I was tagging along with J-Bird and a local-level pro and I watched that pro throw a black Cyclone on Hole #3, about a 350' wooded tunnel hole, that he threw to within 50' of the pin. I was flabbergasted. I can still see it, and most amazing to me was how unfazed they were by the lazer beam that landed perfectly in the middle of the narrow fairway so far down it. It was twice as good of a throw as I'd ever seen.

So I played for 7 years before I saw somebody make a straight 300' drive.

I too am in favor of the growth.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:43 AM
Bogey Member

Years Playing: 26.4
Courses Played: 70
Throwing Style: LHBH
Niced 17 Times in 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
I wouldn't learn how to properly throw a Disc until moving to a more populated area that had a club with experienced players (the Capital City Renegades in Lansing, MI. led by J-Bird himself). Lived there for a whole entire year before I learned there was even a course and that's because a coworker's boyfriend casually mentioned it one day. We decided to go play (it was Grand Woods Park in its early heyday), so I took my Aviar Putter and 1992 Doubles Stingray and away we went. I was very proud of my 150'-ish straight forehand I could throw with that Stingray! He only had a beaten-up Cyclone he had found. The girlfriend watched.

Later that spring, I was tagging along with J-Bird and a local-level pro and I watched that pro throw a black Cyclone on Hole #3, about a 350' wooded tunnel hole, that he threw to within 50' of the pin. I was flabbergasted. I can still see it, and most amazing to me was how unfazed they were by the lazer beam that landed perfectly in the middle of the narrow fairway so far down it. It was twice as good of a throw as I'd ever seen.
You and I essentially 'grew up' together in disc golf, my first round was at Grand Woods in 1993. I remember J-Bird and all those CCR guys showing us the ropes, and preaching the glory of the Cyclone. Mark Ellis used to be around quite a bit too, he gave a buddy of mine a black Cyclone with a green lizard lawyer stamp (it was basically an iguana on top of a disc). That disc was his pride and joy for a long time, till he inevitably lost it because it was black.

Old 07-15-2018, 11:45 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 24.1
Courses Played: 2
Niced 1,592 Times in 906 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Central Scrutinizer View Post
Yep, same deal for me. No internet for the first 7 years I played, so everything was based on word of mouth and watching others play. Only knew about the one course in my hometown. There were a handful of others I saw at the course once in awhile and they were as clueless as me. I remember seeing an Aerobie stuck in a tree that stayed up there all year. PDGA #315 was in his sixties at the time and only threw a "chicken wing" throw that didn't go 150 feet, so he wasn't much help when it came to demonstrating how to throw. (He had the COOLEST old Discs, though!!)

So I played for 7 years before I saw somebody make a straight 300' drive.

I too am in favor of the growth.
Thanks! You reminded me of the first time I saw a pro throw pre-Texas States one year at Agnes Moffit. 400 foot hole with trees. I would lay up to the trees. He went over the trees and landed just short of the basket. Yeah, flabbergasted is right.

Old 07-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 30.7
Courses Played: 145
Niced 321 Times in 138 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MHaas View Post
Mark Ellis used to be around quite a bit too, he gave a buddy of mine a black Cyclone with a green lizard lawyer stamp (it was basically an iguana on top of a disc). That disc was his pride and joy for a long time, till he inevitably lost it because it was black.
Mark Ellis showed me how to throw a forehand. [his high-pitched voice]: "You gotta get rid of those Barracudas! What you need is an X-Clone.."