Old 11-07-2018, 12:08 AM
Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 168
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 2,387 Times in 1,117 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post

Nate has a higher rating than Shue right now... he's also ranked over 30 spots higher in world rankings so numbers agree with me.
Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2018, 12:40 AM
*Super Moderator*

Years Playing: 25.1
Courses Played: 136
Niced 2,804 Times in 1,009 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr63 View Post
How can Discraft sign all these players? One would think that already signing PMcB would take all their budget and more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by _MTL_ View Post
1725 posts in and the overall misunderstanding of how big Discraft is still exists.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTacoma03 View Post
Until I'm proven wrong (and I very well may be in the future), my read on the whole thing is that they've been in a quasi-tailspin since the 2012 Exodus of the team to Prodigy, supporting the AUDL (founded in 2012), and having the biggest name players that stayed with them tour less and less each year.

I'm sure there are many other factors in there, that's just what can be seen publicly, but the other side of that coin is that they've had lower overhead theoretically and could have been planning a big move and waiting for opportunity.
I obviously have no knowledge of anything in the flying disc business, but Discraft always struck me as different back in the day. It seems like a legit flying disc company competing against disc golf companies.

When the Prodigy/DD thing happened, Discraft's eyes seemed to be on Ultimate. Really the way I saw the landscape at the time, Ultimate seemed to be the growth sport happening so it didn't really surprise me that disc golf seemed not to be that high on the priority list. Ultimate seems to have plateaued a bit right now and disc golf is still doing that slowly growing thing it does, so right now from a business perspective of a company trying to juggle support of multiple disc sports it seems like a good business move for a company like Discraft to move some more resources over to disc golf.

None of the other major disc golf companies really have that issue. They really are all in on disc golf. Innova dabbles in some other disc sports, but they are a disc golf company. They are never going to be so distracted by doggie discs that the majority of their top disc golf team members could all walk off at once. Discraft is so deeply into Ultimate that it can and did happen to them.

I don't really see that as a knock on Discraft, it's just a reality that their business focus can't be as narrow as the other major players in disc golf.

People who are new to the disc golf landscape don't get what Discraft is. People who don't remember that the Eagle and TeeBird were a direct reaction to the fact that Discraft scared the pants off Innova the previous year with the XL don't really understand how competitive their discs are. They just know that nobody throwing Discraft has been a major player on tour for the last several years. That's about to change.

Old 11-07-2018, 04:15 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 751 Times in 408 Posts

DD's top #2 and #3 Oakley and Risley? Both too streaky really. Hot round, abominable round, meh round. I dont know the team well enough to suggest substitutes (hell Paige even would do) but to me that only tells me about the team. For the other top dogs I could name probably 5 top players but struggling to remember who plays with DD tbh. Sorry to fans of the two gentlemen or the team.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:26 AM
Double Eagle Member

Niced 751 Times in 408 Posts

As an aside from there... If I didnt know Ricky was Lat64 I might think he's DD though. (=the Trilogy effect) I watch tourney footage a lot and from the discs they have him throwing, (or my recollection of it) Harp, Compass, FELON (big time) and Enforcer. Oh and the Dagger of course (which currently I dont even remember whose disc that is, and not going to google since this is about the subjective effect of footage disc choice anyway). The Explorer is on his shirt but so far any mention or a great shot with it hasnt really registered on my radar to make a lasting impression. Whereas, the drop in Harp approaches from any angle and distance really are a given in my head. The Compass is just like "its the midrange he uses" nothing special. Felon seems to always get to where he wants it. If I were asked what is his distance driver I would say Enforcers in range of stabilities.

Bottom line, Lat64 guy has made the biggest impression on me with a Westside disc and 2 Dynamic Discs. :/
Old 11-07-2018, 04:42 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 8.8
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,058 Times in 621 Posts

Quote:
Dynamic Discs Top 3:
- Melton
- Risley
- Oakley (or Keegan)
Wow...DD top 3 is fairly weak. They could use a PMB for sure.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:44 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjr63 View Post
How can Discraft sign all these players? One would think that already signing PMcB would take all their budget and more.
Yep. Apparently they have all this new found money. Jawbreaker plastic rules.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeCroisQue View Post
Also, FWIW I think Owens is clearly the more marketable player vs Kieth and bell.
wow..totally disagree with that.
Old 11-07-2018, 04:46 AM
* Ace Member *

Niced 1,599 Times in 915 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flick Maniac View Post
DD's top #2 and #3 Oakley and Risley? Both too streaky really. Hot round, abominable round, meh round. I dont know the team well enough to suggest substitutes (hell Paige even would do) but to me that only tells me about the team. For the other top dogs I could name probably 5 top players but struggling to remember who plays with DD tbh. Sorry to fans of the two gentlemen or the team.
DD´s top3 has to be Paige, Paige and Melton. . Melton hade a good 2018

Niced: (2)
Old 11-07-2018, 04:55 AM
* Ace Member *

Quote:
Discraft is a fine company, but let's not pretend like they haven't been rebounding since 2012. On the touring team scene they've been borderline irrelevant for the entire Paul-and-Ricky show, and completely irrelevant if MJ or Doss isn't signed up. It seems now they've been waiting for an opportunity, and found it.
That only negates to market shift vs market growth imop. Time will tell what it means to their long term bottom line, how much Paul brings in vs how much it cost to bring Paul in. It will be interesting to see if we see a 100% re-branded social presence from Discraft w/ Paul on board. Again...it just seems so strange that they wouldn't have already done at least "some of that" with Nate, Val, MJ already on board. Assuming they have all this money.

Old 11-07-2018, 10:36 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Niced 1,284 Times in 740 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscFifty View Post
That only negates to market shift vs market growth imop. Time will tell what it means to their long term bottom line, how much Paul brings in vs how much it cost to bring Paul in. It will be interesting to see if we see a 100% re-branded social presence from Discraft w/ Paul on board. Again...it just seems so strange that they wouldn't have already done at least "some of that" with Nate, Val, MJ already on board. Assuming they have all this money.
Either you are trolling or you need to take a time out and center yourself. Who signs with whom is a fun game for most of us; you are taking this way too serious. All of your objections have been explained again and again.