Go Back   Disc Golf Course Review > General Disc Golf Discussions > General Disc Golf Chat

Old 11-13-2018, 11:22 AM
Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.8
Courses Played: 105
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 627 Times in 289 Posts

If you are used to throwing the true rock hard FAF the new flat topped ones will just be a disappointment. When in the woods I swear the FAF just BUST through branches like no other disc.
Sponsored Links

Niced: (1)
Old 11-13-2018, 11:23 AM
Salient/Yikun Groupie

Years Playing: 8.1
Courses Played: 74
Throwing Style: RHFH
Niced 1,108 Times in 716 Posts

Yes they do that for sure, and do FH rollers like they have 4 wheel drive.

Old 11-13-2018, 12:33 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 16.7
Courses Played: 101
Niced 347 Times in 165 Posts

i'm right there w/ya moose. nothing is quite like a good faf fb. throw and know. no surprises if the angle is slightly off, no extra glide to have it sail away. i've got 3, and always looking for another at a good price. let me know if the flattening of a new one works
Old 11-13-2018, 02:05 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 40
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

I've seen plenty of flat star firebirds - not perfectly flat, more like the 2014s you mentioned with a bit of shoulder. They start out just like the 2014s, but I haven't thrown enough overhands to tell you how they beat in. It is working so far in that spot.
Old 11-13-2018, 03:46 PM
Par Member

Years Playing: 6.7
Courses Played: 40
Niced 12 Times in 9 Posts

Regarding flattening:

I have tried it recently with a teebird 3 that wasn't 3 enough. It made the disc a bit more understable, but the feel is great. I would assume there is no consistent outcome when flattening a disc under the umbrella of every disc, but maybe an OS disc will only become more OS when flattening?? I don't know, but I would be glad to hear your outcome if you do decide to do it. Admittedly, I have had similar thoughts regarding specifically flattening production FBs.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:12 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 13.6
Courses Played: 128
Niced 930 Times in 411 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moose33 View Post
So here is the quandary; to seek the rare “good Firebirds” or do I settle for a good, perhaps more consistent Ahti or maybe even Fireball?
Seek the good Firebirds; there is no adequate substitute.

I would humbly recommend the Color Glow Champ FB's that they are making currently for event & club custom stamp runs (CFR, TFR, etc.)

Those can be factory flat-topped for $1 per disc. They are MONEY. We got a run made last year, and within a few months I got an ace with one.

The plastic feels great in the hand: good grip, slightly bendy but not too much. They are kind of opaque, and the pink CG is the very easiest to see in any conditions: all seasons, even at night!
Old 11-13-2018, 04:19 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 41
Niced 727 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevis View Post
i'm right there w/ya moose. nothing is quite like a good faf fb. throw and know. no surprises if the angle is slightly off, no extra glide to have it sail away. i've got 3, and always looking for another at a good price. let me know if the flattening of a new one works
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscDraft View Post
Regarding flattening: I have tried it recently with a teebird 3 that wasn't 3 enough. It made the disc a bit more understable, but the feel is great. I would assume there is no consistent outcome when flattening a disc under the umbrella of every disc, but maybe an OS disc will only become more OS when flattening?? I don't know, but I would be glad to hear your outcome if you do decide to do it. Admittedly, I have had similar thoughts regarding specifically flattening production FBs.
I owe it to this thread and the Firebird mega to ACTUALLY film the before/process/outcome. I have 1 DX, 1 Pro, 1 Star, 1 Luster, 1 Champ Glow, 1 Des Fire - Bird Champ, and 1 recent run 12x (flight numbers) Champ that are all not quite flat. Luckily I'm off work tomorrow...lets see if I can't prove myself correct.

Side note, I've flattened over 60 discs easily over the years. Just sayin'

Niced: (2)
Old 11-13-2018, 04:34 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
I owe it to this thread and the Firebird mega to ACTUALLY film the before/process/outcome. I have 1 DX, 1 Pro, 1 Star, 1 Luster, 1 Champ Glow, 1 Des Fire - Bird Champ, and 1 recent run 12x (flight numbers) Champ that are all not quite flat. Luckily I'm off work tomorrow...lets see if I can't prove myself correct.

Side note, I've flattened over 60 discs easily over the years. Just sayin'
This would be helpful. I personally only flatten for the hand feel, and don't really expect any change in the flight. Not saying it isn't possible to do, just that it might be more trouble than it is worth.
Old 11-13-2018, 04:52 PM
Thread_Killer :::crickets:::

Years Playing: 17.8
Courses Played: 41
Niced 727 Times in 415 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjhayes7 View Post
This would be helpful. I personally only flatten for the hand feel, and don't really expect any change in the flight. Not saying it isn't possible to do, just that it might be more trouble than it is worth.
I've never in my life flattened for more overstability. I've only done it for hand feel.

My point was Moose should be able to find a disc of similar or equal stability of which he wants, and to adjust the hand feel manually.

Old 11-13-2018, 05:17 PM
Double Eagle Member

Years Playing: 6.5
Courses Played: 18
Niced 560 Times in 323 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GripEnemy View Post
I've never in my life flattened for more overstability. I've only done it for hand feel.

My point was Moose should be able to find a disc of similar or equal stability of which he wants, and to adjust the hand feel manually.
Sorry, I did not mean that to sound like I was saying you do that. It was more of just a comment in general about flattening and what others should expect from it. Some people think you can make an FAF Firebird and I wanted to make it clear to them that you cannot. Although you can make one very flat (not sure if as flat as an FAF), the disc is never going to gain all of that stability that a true FAF has, no matter what you do to it.

Last edited by pjhayes7; 11-13-2018 at 05:20 PM.