Old 12-19-2018, 12:56 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 351 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThrowaEnvy View Post
Hey the Crave is a 159, Resistor is a 162 both Neutron.... I like light stuff I probably should have got the Crave in the 165 range.. From everything I read I thought the Resistor was more of a pig.. Maybe it is if it's heavier, definitely in FL territory more than a Firebird. Sample size of one haha.

Yes I would say in a good way.. The lower speed requirement and lower weight on mine make it real easy to throw with a solid fade. Good solid stability but not overwhelming. Tried it in some wind and very happy. It's definitely got beef and if it was heavier I'd be feeling it. When I got that Crave I wanted a Resistor I just didn't know it.
Cool, thanks! I'll report back how the heavier resistor works out for me in time.

My Crave (new) is 172 and it's pretty straight hss for me so far. Still testing it to determine if and where it fits for me.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-19-2018, 02:08 PM
Eagle Member

Courses Played: 2
Niced 351 Times in 240 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
I would imagine Resistors vary in stability like any other mold from MVP, for example i had a blue N servo that was flippy and then i got a white N that was straight and fade. However, i have personally never seen a resistor that was flippy or had any turn out of the box but ive only owned 3. Mine have all been reliably overstable but maybe slightly more/less dump to the fade.

The oldest one i have that is beat in, I would give it a -1 turn, 3 fade, it holds a beautiful straight line with a long drifting turn that doesn't flip over and has retained that dumpy late fade that makes it easy to range. It took a long time to get there. Out of the box my max weight resistors are def 0 turn and 4 fade!

Its not a beginner disc in my opinion because of the low glide and dump fade newer disc golfers would probably not get much distance or appreciation out of the Resistor, but for someone who plays more advanced that has more power and variation of throw styles they will recognize right away the reliable flight, versatility and ease of ranging this disc. Resistors dont have much glide and the fade dumps. It can handle thumbers, forehand, etc.

I recommend using it as a replacement for all midrange discs. I find midranges less reliable/predictable due to glide and dome, the resistor will cut through windy conditions, you can flick it around obstacles more easily than a midrange class due to its lower profile and narrow blade shaped wing. Its going to dump on target whereas a midrange might glide past the target or get thrown off course more easily by wind. The only thing lacking then would be a straight flight without much fade or anny lines and thats what putters do best!

I notice a trend in pros opting to use faster putters instead of midrange class discs for shorter drives or midrange throws and then jumping right up to slow fairways for anything too long for a putter. Just want to point out that in my experimenting i have found this to be a successful approach.
Not an advanced player but sounds perfect otherwise.
Old 12-19-2018, 02:26 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Throwing Style: RHBH
Niced 1,270 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by in4d View Post
I recommend using it as a replacement for all midrange discs.

I notice a trend in pros opting to use faster putters instead of midrange class discs for shorter drives or midrange throws and then jumping right up to slow fairways for anything too long for a putter. Just want to point out that in my experimenting i have found this to be a successful approach.
I take it you are not a woods golfer. Whilst I love my Crave for tunnel shots, fairways tend to not shape shots as well. Especially for a backhand dominate player.

In the woods, I throw midranges more than all other classes of discs together.

Even among pros, only the most powerful players( see Conrad) use putters in place of mids for long shaped shots.

Edit: come to think of it, even Conrad uses mids for shaped shots.

Niced: (1)

Last edited by wolfmandragon; 12-19-2018 at 02:28 PM.
Old 12-19-2018, 05:05 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 825 Times in 575 Posts

I think how you balance your bag is very dependent on which discs you anchor it with some people get a lot of mileage out of their mid ranges other people putters

Old 12-19-2018, 05:47 PM
* Ace Member *

Courses Played: 219
Niced 2,127 Times in 1,206 Posts

ions > any mid

ask funguy he knows all about it

Old 12-19-2018, 06:42 PM
Birdie Member

Niced 112 Times in 68 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
ions > any mid

How'd I get mixed into this?

Niced: (2)
Old 12-19-2018, 09:43 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 6.1
Courses Played: 19
Niced 1,270 Times in 732 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmexdela View Post
ions > any mid

Man, you had better be careful. You are going to hurt your Wasps feelings and she won't give you any more aces.

Niced: (2)
Old 12-19-2018, 10:16 PM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 9.5
Courses Played: 53
Niced 4,485 Times in 2,361 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post

He also "carves" that tbird pretty well...

Old 12-20-2018, 12:30 AM
Verified Jurkface

Years Playing: 12.5
Courses Played: 168
Niced 2,377 Times in 1,111 Posts

Quote:
I finally got some time in on the Resistor it's much more workable at slow speed than I thought.. Decent skips too, hangs out a bit long on overhand throws, doesn't turn over as fast as I'd like. It's going to be interesting to see how it fits into the bag.. I like the stability BH and FH... But we'll see if I can figure it out OH it's fighting the Crave for bag space I really expected it to be harder to throw. Smashed the top of the basket at 200' almost an ace on a hole I could have thrown a putter haha.

I can't wait to see what the Crave will break into.. It exhibits a fair bit of high speed turn already.
Yeah, the light Resistors are kinda like Champ Teebird+ in flight. They seem faster, still have good HSS but the LSS kicks in later so they're very straight to fade. The heavy Resistors are stouter and more utility beef. It's basically like MVP's Banshee, light ones are beefy TB-ish, heavy ones are like slow FBs. The Resistor just has a more modern, sharper rim than the Banshee.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfmandragon View Post
I take it you are not a woods golfer. Whilst I love my Crave for tunnel shots, fairways tend to not shape shots as well. Especially for a backhand dominate player.

In the woods, I throw midranges more than all other classes of discs together.

Even among pros, only the most powerful players( see Conrad) use putters in place of mids for long shaped shots.

Yeah, JC threw the crap out of his purple MD4 from what I saw last year, in addition to the JK Aviars. He threw it a lot on open holes too, weirdly. JC just has kind of a unique approach to the game.
Quote:
I think how you balance your bag is very dependent on which discs you anchor it with some people get a lot of mileage out of their mid ranges other people putters
Well said. To add to that, how much you FH or are if you're BH dominant has a lot to do with it too. When I was mostly BH, I used my mids a lot more, especially for wooded tunnels where the landing zones are hard for a putter to reach. Now that I FH a lot more, I really like low profile putters for flicks b/c the small diameter more closely resembles a driver.

Old 12-20-2018, 01:49 AM
* Ace Member *

Years Playing: 14.3
Courses Played: 5
Niced 825 Times in 575 Posts

Thanks BroD I tried to put a shout out to you but I missed the edit timeout.. I'm discing down for the winter and trying to fill that last OS utility slot.. Hence the dabbling with Resistor and lesserly haha the Crave.

I'm always surprised by the difference one or two discs make to the bag, I play small bag all the time now 8 max generally... so everything pretty much has to do double duty, if I'm not throwing it something else gets a dabbling space. If I had a proxy I think I'd rock heavier mids since I roll with the Envy, the Spin and Tangent I need to cover what many would do with an Ion or Proxy.

Envy, Tangent, and Switch anchor my bag..Spin or Vertex are good too but interchangeable. Inertia should be there too but not til spring... The rest just kind of fill the gaps.

What anchors your Gyro bag? Yes plasma ion and fiz volt haha.. I saved you a post elmex

Last edited by ThrowaEnvy; 12-20-2018 at 01:54 AM.
Closed Thread